Sign in to follow this  
andrekb

Compaq Armada 1540 laptop password lost NEED HELP

Hi!!

I got a Compaq 1540dm Armada laptop at a yard sale. It looks great and it has a good battery etc..but when I power on it goes straight to a screen asking for a password. It is a black screen with a blue box and in the box it asks for the password. The people at the yard sale were selling this for someone who "is no longer with us" so they were not able to help. What do you guys think? Please help or point me in the right direction-Thanks!! :)

Probably bios boot up password it's asking for. One way would be to remove the internal battery for a little while, but you would have to open the laptop up to remove it. There are numerous tools you can "Google" for that can help and there are "other ways" that we can't discuss here due to forum rules. You can find a way........... ;)

Edited by Signman

Using F10 Setup to Clear CMOS

The instructions that follow allow you to clear CMOS and reset the computer to the factory default values.

1. Access Computer Setup by pressing the F10 key when the Computer Setup (F10 Setup) message appears in the lower-right corner of the screen.

If you do not press the F10 key while the message is displayed, you must turn the computer off, then on again, to access the utility.

2. Select File! Set Defaults and Exit.

All passwords are cleared when CMOS is reset.

Using Power Switch to Clear CMOS

To clear CMOS when you do not know the password turn on the computer using the power button. After the computer has started, hold the power button depressed for four seconds. The next time the computer is started, the system will overwrite the existing CMOS with the valid CMOS from the factory’s original ROM flash of the system board.

All settings and passwords from the last good boot will be restored.

Passwords

Both the power-on and setup passwords are set through Computer Setup (F10 Setup).

When only the power-on password is used, it is required to access the Computer Setup utility and any other information in the system. When both the power-on and setup passwords are used, only the setup password will give you access to Computer Setup.

When both passwords are set, the setup password can also be used in place of the poweron password."

Also, there is a System ROMPaq version 686EM_99.1130 A (25 Jan 00) (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/download/7919.html)

http://forums.windrivers.com/archive/index.php/t-32261.html

Thanks for the advice guys :rolleyes: ...but no luck yet :help:

Please if you have any info to share and feel uncomfortable to post please pm me!!! I am at wits end.. I got this to let my kid use it instead of hogging my desktop(he only 11 and I can't afford to go buy a new one)

So please any ideas will be great-Andre

Edited by andrekb

Guest jimmykerr
i thank you both very much but i carnt seem to get to set up in the bios ive tryed the suggetions and nothing it could be me as it wouldnt be the first time ive got things wrong when tired so if either of you could tell me the quickest way to onboard battery or know of a spec site with pic then would make a day barable i thank you both again

yours jimmy in trouble again

Guest jimmykerr

This is a solution for the Armada 1700, should still work though.

Password on Boot

If you require the manual for your machine:

Armada 1500 Series User Guide

i have tryed to get the diagram to disable pass wordword on the armarda 1700 but the attachment from your link i got a message saying format not suported can you help me with the pass word or show me a diagram of the batteries

thank you jimmy uk

Guest jimmykerr

Most Bios manufacturers have a backdoor/factory password that may work for you. Clearing the CMOS on a laptop does not work most of the time because the info is contained in a seperate chip. Take a look here to find your Bios code:

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/BIOS_hack.htm

i have got to both batteries ant taken them out and even though memeory check is done on boot.................still no bios now i have blown one laptop clearing cmos i need to get into the bios and im at a loose end so please help

jimmy from uk[i