Sign in to follow this  
petals101

DSL and Dial-up

one of my laptops is on dsl. i have been trying to connect another laptop with no success so far (after connecting a network adapter it is asking me insert a windows 98 disc i don't have). would i able to disconnect the phone line to use dail-up for my other laptop without disrupting my dsl connection?

in other words... can i use dial-up even if i have dsl service?

thanks! :wub:

i already have a router. i am having problems connecting a laptop to dsl and need to download a driver. only way (without burning data to a cd-r/cd-rw) is to use dial-up for this one laptop.

i am not disconnecting phone/dsl service but just physically unhooking the phone line to the phone to attach that laptop to get dial-up on this one particular pc. would this disrupt dsl?

It shouldn't. But if you don't have anything going on DSL right now, the safest way would be to turn off the DSL modem.

I have to shut down my DSL quite often. The router or modem will loose it's settings. Shutting down for a couple minutes and restarting works to get me back up, and has never caused a problem.

Ok I don't understand why you can't use the router to connect the two pcs to share the dsl. It's only a matter of setting the gateway under network for the tcp/ip for the network card on the control panel.

The way I read the post...

(after connecting a network adapter it is asking me insert a windows 98 disc i don't have)

I assume it is asking for the cd because it needs the driver for the adapter card. Once the card is installed then you can download. If that is the problem...do you have to use the card for dialup or is there a phone line jack built into the laptop? If you have a phone line jack built in...then don't install the card until you can obtain the drivers it is looking for from the Win98 CD. Create a new connection using dialup. You can use the same phone line because it is analog. The DSL line is a digital line. Your download speed will be much slower than the DSL. SInce you are using 2 laptops...can you not obtain the files you need from the other one or is it a different OS?

(after connecting a network adapter it is asking me insert a windows 98 disc i don't have)

Depending on how 98 was installed orginally you might not need the disk. The CAB files might be already there. See my earlyer post as to where to find them.

Thats a problem with 98, You have to manually direct "browse" for those files during certian installs. Win 98 wont find them on its own.

i tried using registryfix. :erm: i tried downloading secure32.dll. i tried to reinstall the netgear fa120 disc. :mrsgreen: i tried installing the driver from the netgear download site. :huh: i am still getting error messages like:

dhcpcsvc.dll cannot be found. :thud:

or error code 137. :(

i do not know what any of this means. :blink:

how do i manually install these cabs? where do i find them. all this is new to me. thanks for your help. :wub:

Edited by petals101

how do i access this an d once i open the file what do i do?

this has been very frustrating for me.

have been trying to hook up another laptop to dsl. this laptop has windows 98 se. it needed a network adaptor. i got a linksys pcm 200 v.2 ethernet card and this thing bought a floppy disc. this laptop has cd rom. i found a crappy A drive for the floppy and tried to install this floppy disc. nothing was happening. then i burned a cdr with a download from the linksys website. after all that it kept prompting me to 'insert windows 98 second edition disc." i didn't have one then but i do have it now. i have been trying to set this up since august. lastnight i made another attempt. i would insert the wins 98 se disc, clicked on 'ok,' and nothing happened.

i don't know what to do know or where downloads get installed. i have ran out of ideas.