Sign in to follow this  
jimjiber

Recommended AV/Firewall?

I have tried so many different security solutions based on recommendations but I can never find out which one really is best, based on price, reliability, ease-of-use and how much it degraded system performance.

Most people agree that Norton is fine but it can really slow down your PC, especially when it comes to online gaming.

I used Panda last year but noticed that quite a few trojans got through.

Any ideas?

I have tried so many different security solutions based on recommendations but I can never find out which one really is best, based on price, reliability, ease-of-use and how much it degraded system performance.

Most people agree that Norton is fine but it can really slow down your PC, especially when it comes to online gaming.

I used Panda last year but noticed that quite a few trojans got through.

Any ideas?

None of them is 100% foolproof. These are the tools I use to stay clean>>>ZoneAlarm free/AVG Antivirus Free/Ad-Aware SE/Spybot & Destroy/Microsoft AntiSpyware/SpywareBlaster/SpywayGuard/A-Squared >>>and I use most of the unline scan 1 or 2 times aweek :) and it does not degraded system performance atall.

Go Here and get more info and links to some of the tools I posted>>>http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=61975

Edited by luluhifi

I use Trend Micro's Pc-cillin, and it's the only one I've ever used for any substancial time period. My experiences with Norton is that it takes up too much resources, and the free AV's don't give you the all-round capabilities the paid ones do. I don't usually endorse paid for utilities, but if you are going to spend money on something, get a decent Anti-virus. :)

I've heard Nod32 and Kaspersky are very thorough, although I've never used either.

Like luluhifi mentioned, try a few online scans every now and again. The most reputable ones are:

Trend Micro

Panda

with regards

i use avast a/v -free and sygate firewall also free

also

Ad-Aware SE Personal (once a day)

Bazooka Scanner (once a day)

CCleaner (twice a day or more)

CleanUp! (twice a day or more)

cwshredder (once a day)

DiskeeperLite (every couple days)

everesthome110

hijackthis (only when needed)

HD Tune

ie-spyad

Spybot - Search & Destroy (once a day)

SpywareBlaster

SpywareGuard

stinger

TweakNow RegCleaner

WinPatrol

If you have the basic spyware programs and use a router, windows firewall is great.. I use Nod32 for my AV, works great, never had a virus and Nod is spyware certified now..This calling home is overrated, if you have spyware protection, nothing is calling home.. I haven't had spyware in 3 years using this method..I do think a router is a must have with todays problems.

I'm using V-Com System Suite 5 (now System Suite 6), which incorporates Trend Micros AV (PC Cillin, Housecall) and Sygate's firewall.

To keep the nasties off my PC, I also use:

Ad-aware

Spybot

SpywareBlaster

SpySweeper (overkill possibly... :P )

CWShredder

HiJackThis

Stinger

Then, to help keep it cleaned and maintained:

System Suite 5

Cleanup!

Window Washer

System Mechanic 5 Pro (just for the heck of it)

jv16 PowerTools

O&O Defrag v4 Professional

Information overload I suppose... :blushing: -kd5-

I use Norton security on my desktop and AVG "paid for" on the laptop. I use the firewall in the US Rototics wireless router and disabled the Windows and Symantic firewalls to enable my wireless network.

I have switched to ZA pro (from ZA free firewall and PCTrend A/V). I have no complaints. It now has antispyware protection and Adaware, Spybot, PestPatrol and the MS antispyware come up clean except for tracking cookies since I went with ZAPro.

I've been using NOD32 since the begining of the year, I like it, it catches all the nasties the come on my email, and alerts of anything malicious on any web sites too, I use a router and zone alarm too, networked, you can/should be able to configure a firewall to use on a network

Have you used them both before? I've never given them a go....what are they like? I've heard different stories about Kerio, no idea what to believe...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice folks - I think I will look into PC-Cillin.

Cool. B)

I've tried ZoneAlarm (free version) on several different computers, and each time it's played up. I've stuck with Sygate for a few months now, I think it's quite excellent. :)

with regards