Sign in to follow this  
Shoot Me Damit

Tryed Spy Bot 1.4 it has bug

I tryed to run the update for SpyBot 1.4, NIS 2005 kicks in asks if I will let spybotSD.exe contact DNS I say yes. then spybot hangs never connects. I enter task manger it says spybot is unresponsive I hit end task, then Windows kicks in says unresponsive send error report I click yes. It connects to Microsoft that sends me to spybots site. Also any open window that goes across were spybots open windows are it starts making trails of the open window on it. the windows were spy bot was will not move or close and images trails of what ever draggs across those windows shows The smaller box allways covers or over rides any open window so you have to move the open window around to read the page that is open. I have tryed uninstall, reinstall of spybot 1.4, no change. I have tryed to manuel allow in firewall settings all the .exe and this still happins. I hate to say it but it looks like the best is looseing its luster. anyone got a link to 1.3 it worked fine. :bawling: I guess I am out of luck if a can't find the older version I can't find 1.3 any were I have looked. :erm:

I don't believe the problem is with the Spybot S&D 1.4. I believe the problem is with your comp. Are you running a virus scan in Safe Mode? If not try it, disconnect from the net, go *Start/controlpanel/folders* and enable "view all folders". Then scan, don't forget to disable "view all folders" when finished. Also could be the NIS that's causing the problem.

You might want to try running one of these scans, free:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Let us know how it goes.... :mrgreen:

Well the computer has worked fine no problems till I tryed 1.4 I will go try a anti-virus scan now but for the record the system has been fine no problems till I tryed to update spybot 1.4.

When you updated to 1.4, did you remove 1.3 first or did you install it over the top? Maybe you just have a corrupted file somewhere. Try re-downloading spybot, then uninstall spybot from your computer and then reinstall it using the new download. You said you had Norton's, do you have Norton Windoctor? If you do, run that and allow it to remove any bad registry entries it finds before you reinstall.

If that doesn't clear up the problem, then it just may be that something has gotten under your security radar and is causing your problem.

Edited by Ronbo

I installed over 1.3 and did uninstall, reinstall of 1.4, all so just ran in safe mode no virus according to norton and its up to date so is windows XP Pro, no spy-ware according to Microsoft anti-spyware and ad-aware both ran in safe mode. I allso ran sfc /scannow no change as far as how 1.4 is acting with the update this only happins when I try to use spybots update it becomes unresponsive even task manger can't end the spybot program. :shrug: I also have to restart system before the problem will stop and it takes 10 min. or more for it to restart and this restart time only happens if I ran the updater for spyBot 1.4 if I restart and never touch spybot 1.4 the computer take 1 min. to restart ok maybe a little longer 1.30 Min.

Edited by Shoot Me Damit

I installed over 1.3 and did uninstall, reinstall of 1.4, all so just ran in safe mode no virus according to norton and its up to date so is windows XP Pro, no spy-ware according to Microsoft anti-spyware and ad-aware both ran in safe mode. I allso ran sfc /scannow no change as far as how 1.4 is acting with the update this only happins when I try to use spybots update it becomes unresponsive even task manger can't end the spybot program. :shrug:

Is this the first time it's happened, trying to update with spybot 1.4? Server may be busy at the moment.

with regards

I have NIS and spybot 1.4 and have had no problems but I checked my firewall rules and their set to allow all on spybot...

But before I downloaded spybot 1.4...I made sure I removed everything of the older version.

Caintry boy I ran through both panda and trend micro no virus, no securty threats.

House call did remove 2 spy and 1 ad low risks though. AOL spyware protection says I am clean as well. I will try to install spyBot again this time I will remove the left over folder on C: drive to see if that helps but this is a conflict with NIS2005 and SpyBots 1.4 updater. as far as I can tell. :erm:

Edited by Shoot Me Damit

Open NIS then click on Personal Firewall --> Configure --> Programs tab. Now scroll down the list until you find Spybot S&D then highlight it and click remove, then yes. Then try running the update again, maybe Norton still you thinks you have version 1.3 installed and this is causing the problem.

Well the only way I can run the update tool for spybot 1.4 is to disable NIS2005 I have removed it from the list and tryed adding it to the list (firewall). updater crashes every time only when NIS2005 is disabled will spybot 1.4 run its updater without crashing. Well at least I have a livable work around. sort of :erm: well only thing thats left is reinstall NIS2005 and thats a pain in the donky last time NIS had to be reinstall gave me update problem about 7 months ago and live update can be a pain to install some times. because unistaller does not remove all that was installed at one time bits and peices spread out all over your system. :woot:

Spybot will run in safe mode and works as far as I can tell its in the task bar it can scan with norton on but if I try to update spybot 1.4 the crash to spybot happens when the .exe trys to run and norton allways kicks in and says spybotSD.exe is trying to connect to DNS added in or out of firewall. all other programs work. what a night :mrsgreen:

Edited by Shoot Me Damit

IF, by chance you have to remove Nortons again....

follow standard procedure, then use this link and download the removal tool.

I do think it's possible there are a few hidden files that have not been removed IMO.

Hang in there we will get this worked out.

Nortons removal tool

Well looks like I found that a .dll was pointing to folder that did not exsist on my hard drive Tweaknow regcleaner removed it. and I also ran checkdisk on C: one of them has fixed the problem. my system runs spybot 1.4 updater now with Norton on Crazy donkey computers. :lol: boy am I glad I didn't have to reinstall Norton. :banana: