Sign in to follow this  
wenya_dh

Need help.. something is suckin away ram NOOB HERE

Ok i just got "stat bar" which is a free download that pretty much does nothin but lets u know ur cpu's performance at the moment. Anyways when i first got it like a week ago i was suprised because on average id be using like 350/1024 of my ram when i was just sitting at the cpu and had nothin running. Now a week later on average it runs at round 450/1024?

I have used many different anti spyware devices such as spybot, spyware doctor and ad-aware, so my whole cpu is clean. I have also ran 3 diffferent virus scanners and all is good. I have nothin running in the background so somethin is up.

Oh one last thing i noticed, that beside the Ram gauge theres a c cpu% thing and it ranges from 1-3% when nothin is running but like once every 10-30 seconds it will jump to like 80 or even 100% usage for half a second.

Help me figure this out... or maybe im overreacting... but 400 mbs ram when i have nothin runnin seems quite high

You have way too many programs running in the background. You should close the ones you don't need running all the time especially Real player and Quick Time by going to the run command and typing msconfig and going to the startup tab and unchecking the programs you don't want running at boot time. You are also running two antiviruses, norton and avg. Run only one as running two can lead to problems. Your comp has plenty of "horsepower" so I recommend you use norton and disable avg.

I would disable Norton and use AVG, as Norton caused me no end of trouble. Just make sure you remove it from the registry after un-installing. I would un-install that program too.

I would take signman's advice. You should ALWAYS be wary of free software and do some research before installing anything. You can monitor your CPU usage via the task manager. You seem savy enough to know how to use it, but I'll tell you anyway. Ctrl-Alt-Delete, click on Task Manager, click on Performance.

I'd monitor both task manager and statbar simultaneously to see if their readings match. I'd also look at Processes on the Task Manager, click on the tab to sort by CPU usage, and see if StatBar is indeed sucking up large amounts of CPU.

Overall, unless you have reason to believe your machine is not running well, I'd remove StatBar and just not worry about it.

B)

Ok but heres the problem. When i do the Alt, Ctrl, delete i dont get the message that most people get. I just just a lil window that tells me wat main programs are in use and wether to end task, switch to, or new task. I think when i first got the cpu i played round with alt ctrl delete and may have changed it from the standard form to some other option.

And stat bar is fine, i looked into it before i downloaded it and Cnet reviewed it along with other good sites.

Edit- if i can figure out how to get alt ctrl delete to work in the default form ill get rid of stat bar.

Also how does my cpu look now? According to the results i got over 1500 so i think thats good?

Edited by wenya_dh

sometimes you can right click on the tool bar at the bottom and get task manager to load if thats any easier.

No i get the same thing... it doesnt show all the things that are running just the main things that i have open (ex: internet explorer and msn messenger) not all the other ones. It also doesnt say my pc usage

Edit- if i can figure out how to get alt ctrl delete to work in the default form ill get rid of stat bar.

You may be setting yourself up here with the wrong sequence of conditions.

I wonder if you simply uninstall Stat Bar, if you would then have Taskmanager restored to full functionality? Maybe not, Stat Bar may have "overwritten important files and routines of Taskmanager, thus requireing a repair installation or a simple system file checker sfc /scannow (run from Start Run)

don't know, never used Stat Bar, not even tempted to try it,

...especially since Windows provides the same information, and other well validated and "safe" programs are available.

Best Regards

Edited by dough

You might look at trying this program that Champion_Munch reccomended to me. It just takes a little getting used to. If someone knew of a tutorial for it, that would be nice.

WinPatrol is a really handy free proggie for monitoring startup processes and services. I highly recommend downloading it. :)

Win Patrol is a great program.

However, "add-on" programs in general (including Win Patrol) rely upon information, sensors, and utilities built into your hardware and Operating System (Win 98....XP) and simply present that information that already resides in your Operating System, in a more graphically pleasing or useful format with some additional shortcuts to "functions" that your Operating System already has built in, but which Microsoft has chosen to "hide" from the owner/user.

What's my point? If you are currently having trouble with Taskmanager, get that fixed before downloading and installing another layer of "add-ons"

My best guess would be to uninstall Stat Bar... Check out how your computer is running without Stat Bar, particularly whether you have Taskmanager restored. If not, then do a Systems File Check to get things restored.

At that point, you might want to benefit from installing Win Patrol.

Best Regards

Running two AV proggy on the same comp is highly not recommended.

Hi, wenya_dh

It is easy to "get lost" when reviewing and attempting to follow recommendations from several Members. In this post, you have received some excellent recommendations. It may be useful for you to print out your entire post and highlight the recommendations so you can checkmark the ones you decide to use when you've completed them.

Since you identify yourself as new to this kind of computer work, many of the specific recommendations may be brand new and confusing until you read up on them or try them out. A very good model for problem-solving, is to try out the first recommendation you decide to use, then run another test to see what progress you've made. Then proceed to the next one and repeat the process.

If you want to prioritize the recommendations (which ones to try first) Here's my list:

1 Uninstall or disable from Start one (1) of your Antivirus Programs.

2 Disable with MSCONFIG (Start Tab "uncheck) any unnecessary programs

3. Uninstal Stat Bar

4 Run System File Checker --- Start - Run - sfc /scannow

5 Consider installing Win Patrol

6 I suppose that it is not necessary to point out the "risks" you expose yourself to when using P2P file sharing. Keep your antiSpyware and AntiVirus updated and use them regularly.

7. I suppose it is not necessary to point out that you installed Stat Bar on August 3rd and that your problems are now being reported with Taskmanager. Therefore Stat Bar is a "very likely" culprit.

Intratech correctly reminds you of the problem created by (2) AntiVirus programs running, as RacerAC mentioned earlier.

Quoted from RacerAC (earlier reply in this same thread)

You have way too many programs running in the background. You should close the ones you don't need running all the time especially Real player and Quick Time by going to the run command and typing msconfig and going to the startup tab and unchecking the programs you don't want running at boot time. You are also running two antiviruses, norton and avg. Run only one as running two can lead to problems. Your comp has plenty of "horsepower" so I recommend you use norton and disable avg.

Best Regards

Edited by dough

Ok i got rid of stat bar even though I'm 90% sure it was doin nothin but just incase. Anyways i got my start up programs down to bout 5 and its all good there now. I also downloaded the one program that was recommended to me.

Last i got a picture to show you guys the trouble im having with alt ctrl delete.

Also this alt ctrl delete problem has been round for like a year almost so it had nothin to do with stat bar and maybe not even spyware... just user error maybe? Anyways less rant and heres a pic to show you guys wat i mean

Posted Image

Here's some information and a "fix" that was supplied by one of our Advanced Members, RAH, in another post.

It may be useful in your situation, or not, but it's worth a look.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ToolsQuit.htm

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

Best Regards

Thanks Dough. That was really interesting and the emergency utility download is really good. The web sites are bookmarked now.

I have heard of the AV being taken out but not the utilities.

Have a Great Day,

Faith