Sign in to follow this  
kd5

Windows Update

I've just fdisked, & done a complete system recovery on my laptop. Both times, when I go to Windows Update, I get a message telling me that files failed to register, that I should reinstall the files necessary to access Windows Update, but nothing ever changes. Why would files fail to register on a freshly reinstalled OS. This has never happened before. Is Windows Update out of commission? Did I do a complete recovery a second time for nothing???

OS is XP, SP2, preinstalled on the laptop, and has been reinstalled once already (before this particular irritation) with no problems at Windows Update. -kd5-

That's for Windows 3.1/3.11 -kd5-

i wonder if that os is still availible :huh:

kd5, did you get an error code with that message, also are there multiple users for that pc, if so try administrator

No error codes, I am the only account/Administrator on the computer. -kd5-

Here's a test from the last configuration.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=CJXBNWMUMAQSJ6BU

I haven't even gotten as far as I need to get before I test it again this time around. Can't see where anything would change that drastically (I haven't made any changes beyond the Recovery) but I could be wrong. I probably won't do any more on it tonight. I'm getting kinda sleepy... :snooze: -kd5-

ok kd5, this is all i got left pal, install all the hot fixes first, you cant get them off m$ site without going to the update page, goodluck

:) -duanester-

KD, does it give you the name of the files that fail to register? You can manually register them by using the Start, Run, type regsvr32 "name of file" (without quotes) and click ok.

ok kd5, this is all i got left pal, install all the hot fixes first, you cant get them off m$ site without going to the update page, goodluck

:) -duanester-

How do I know what updates I need? Is there somewhere at M$ that has any/all updates since SP2? -kd5-

KD, does it give you the name of the files that fail to register? You can manually register them by using the Start, Run, type regsvr32 "name of file" (without quotes) and click ok.

No, it doesn't. I thought to run through the list of regsvr32 commands provided by M$ as a means of troubleshooting Windows Update issues, but they didn't help one bit. -kd5-

try this,click Run, type regsvr32 Wuaueng.dll,

and then click OK two times.then try to update

Edited by brownhornet

try this,click Run, type regsvr32 Wuaueng.dll,

and then click OK two times.then try to update

Already did that, didn't help. -kd5-

Nevermind I thought were the 2000 only type Only glanced at your test link. :(

I forgot you bought that new laptop.

Edited by PORTHOS

Found out by going through the Windows Update Catalog option within Windows Update, that v4 works just fine, but v5 does not... :unsure: -kd5-

Unfortunately, I can't do a repair installation, this is a (total) 4 disk recovery set (as opposed to the actual XP CD). Can't even do an sfc /scannow... :angry:

I could try it with my other XP CD, but this is a factory install of XP SP2, and my other XP CD is SP1a.

My only alternative, it appears, is to do another Recovery (3rd time since last night). -kd5-

Turns out there was a bug fix for it at the Acer website. Apparently, the Recovery software and Windows Update v6 don't get along very well... :angry:

Oh well.....problem solved... :rolleyes: -kd5-