Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

So you like Japanese Cars....

GM has a nasty habit(well I love it :mrgreen: ) of underrating... LS1 comes to mind as well as buick turbo 3.8....

Ford on the other hand... no comment.

Edited by ThUnDeR

And about the fart cannons some people put on their imports (and to some extend, domestics)

They think it gives them a small amount of backpressure and they believe its good for them :shrug:

Half of them don't understand whats good and what isn't for their car... just need another Fast and Furious type movie to tell them what to do.

I :wub: Geo Metros!!!!

(j/k guys)

Tell that to the one that smoked my friends 01 trans am! He has an LS1 with a moderately sized cam (it lopes like crazy) and pretty damn quick (he let me drive it before) But he told me about a couple a days ago, that a GEO smoked him in a race. He said he wasn't even going to waste the gas on it but the geo lept forward FAST. So they went from a roll and the Geo put about 4 car lengths on him.

He talked to the owner and the Geo had a 255 hp turbo v6 (unsure of what kind) and was converted to RWD

GEO POWAH!! :lol:

MX-5 Miata, respectively, when they delivered a car that had less horsepower than what they advertised. Ford ended up doing considerable warranty work to bring the numbers up where they belonged

The cobras were due to manufacturing issues with the exhaust and intake (some 1999 models), that never happened on the miata, it happened on the RX-8 which was actually re-rated at 238 instaed of 250.

Oh yeah baby make em fly.

Chop,

give it up it's base (well where are you from) and they don't rate them the same. They always BS about those egg beaters.

Why are the cars that you claim are "base" rated at the exact same fugure officially at SAE net?

Check your figures.

As far as google, I am speaking from 100% from firsthand knowledge, I add google references for you.

You claim to know so much about Corvettes, and point out on your link that BHP figure to support your argument, yet I have shown you that is the SAE NET horsepower rating from the factory....and you missed it.....you thought it was something else.....those figures are all the factory rated SAE NET.

Edited by Chopdoc

OMG :rofl3: Something seriously wrong with these people. :P

Posted Image

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a Volkswagen Eurovan? Hardly qualifies as a Japanese car :P

I hadn't realized that I said it was Japanese. :shrug:

However I do believe that is a Toyota emblem on the front, not a Volkswagen emblem.

I hadn't realized that I said it was Japanese. :shrug:

However I do believe that is a Toyota emblem on the front, not a Volkswagen emblem.

Yeah, but the topic name is "so you like Japanese cars"

Anyways, I saw the T sign too, but I couldn't think of any models that look like that. You're probably right though :)

Beast, go dyno your zr1, if its still stock.Go dyno any production car, doesn't matter which. None of them live up to their rating.They all have a tranny and a diff to get through, plus a whole lot of friction.

Don't know who told you they rate them different, but they were wrong. You don't think any of the car magazines would have accounted for that in their comparisons?

saying they dont live up to their rating is a misrepresentation of the truth. The HP ratings are measured at the back of the crank. Wheel hp is usually 15-30 percent less due to the way its measured. If you pulled the motor it would measure up just fine.

SAE NET, SAE GROSS and BHP (brake horse power) are the three ways of rating hp. Gross is the maximum HP a motor will make, no accessories no exhaust, no smog equipment with a high octane tune. SAE NET is measured with all those things and a street tune for whatever recommended octane rating the production car will run. BHP is measured by (if i remember correctly) placing a type of brake on the crank and measuring resistance vs the force of the brake.

BHP (brake horsepower) refers to SAE NET or SAE Gross, that's why you see it used interchangeably with both all over the place. All dynamometers use a brake, usually a water brake, to apply braking or drag resistance to motor rotation in order to measure the output of the engine. Others use magnetic force (hysteresis dynamometers), or magnetic powder (friction braking) to apply braking force. Then there are those that use friction pads (brake pads) to apply the braking force. Lastly there are those that use a combination.

This information comes to me from Al, who I went to high school with, who was a Corvette engineer for over ten years. I contacted him regarding this thread.

I will just say this... I've had american cars and I've had Hondas and Nissans.

For example:

I had two lincoln continentals that were absolute junk. the last one was a lovely car loaded with all options including moonroof and a kick butt stereo system. Drove great. In the first six months of owning it it blew a head gasket, and slammed down on the ground because of faulty air ride system. I couldnt drive it when it was down because it was liking riding a bucking bronco. There were times I was catching a ride to work because the air ride was down and it was basically just slammed nearly to the ground. It went to the dealership 8 freaking times. I finally gave up. Bought a loaded honda accord and never had one problem with it, it had 200,000 miles on it when I got rid of it and it was still running very strong.

Had two nissan sentras, including the one now and those cars just run forever if you change the oil and keep them maintainenced. Mine is old now but still runs very strong. It aint real pretty but mechanically its pretty dang good. Everyone has preferences in what they drive or fantasize about owning. I would love to have a corvette its my dream car since I was a little girl. But I cant afford those tires much less the upkeep on it and insurance. Since I only have one income in this house and I don't make the really great money that some do I have to be practical and live within my means. I have to purchase vehicles that can hold up commuting an hour one way to work and withstand alot of mileage as well as getting reasonable affordable gas mileage with the price of gas now. As much as I would love to have a 2005 Mustang or Vette, my budget doesn't allow that much less being able to afford those payments and insurance.

Next purchase without a doubt will be nissan frontier crew cab :tup:

BHP (brake horsepower) refers to SAE NET or SAE Gross, that's why you see it used interchangeably with both all over the place.

Which is why BHP is deceptive because it can be either SAE NET or SAE Gross. Most of the time today its NET (figure 90+%). SAE Gross measurements really arent used anymore short of racing where accessories and what not arent ran anyway.