Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

So you like Japanese Cars....

Hmm the new generation mustang and cobra just doesn't do it for me. The engine is a beauty, but I just don't like their styling. They reverted back to the older generation mustang, but it still isn't the same.

American Muscle Cars a few decades ago were awsome too.

@AMD 1999 jetta is an awsome car, too bad they have become too upscale and the new models cost almost around 30k.

I still feel that the Japs and the Euros have the best fuel economy among car producers on the average. You hardly see any American Cars in Europe, and the ones you do see (mainly Ford) have small engines, and GREAT fuel economy. I know you could say "it's obvious that there are more European cars in Europe" but they why are there more Japanese cars than American cars in a continent where gas prices are quite steep?

@AMD (Again) Infinity (Nissan in disguise), Lexus, Acura, Volvo, Honda all have great "sport-utility" vehicles (mid size SUV/trucks), however the Americans greatly excell at the full sized SUVs/Trucks, while there isn't a market for full sized SUVs in Europe and Japan (IMHO).

But they are still Fords, the profits go into Ford, the head of the company is the same person, yes they all have different leaders, there are even different design teams. This doesnt not on the other hand make them different companies. They arent rebadged hondas or something along those lines. Like I said, different models for different markets. Its as simple as that. If ford could sell its european cars here at a profit they would.

I always have, but the numbers are turning and arent far off. Not far enough to lean me one way or the other. I would simply chose the car that I like more.

They sure aren't the same Fords. And at any rate, there is still GM etc. Ford isn't the only US auto brand. I almost said it isn't the only one of the big three...but the big three aren't all American anymore.....

Anyway...to shift gears, one thing I am sure everybody would agree on is Italian cars....check these guys out. Funny stuff.....

http://www.nsxfiles.com/f355_update.htm

You hardly see any American Cars in Europe, and the ones you do see (mainly Ford) have small engines, and GREAT fuel economy. I know you could say "it's obvious that there are more European cars in Europe" but they why are there more Japanese cars than American cars in a continent where gas prices are quite steep?

That's what I am getting at.

Market share does not mean profit or success.GM has the biggest chunk of marketshare, but is heading into a tailspin of cutbacks, layoffs, and cancelations (zeta platform?). Losing money hand over fist. Toyota is making a profit off every model they sell. Which is doing better?

As for comparisons to euro's, it was just last year that the domestics got better at unscheduled trips to the service department. Japs still a comanding lead.

But I wasn't refering to reliability (which really isn't a question to those not blinded by loyalty), I was talking about engineered quality. How well does the susprnsion work? How much wind noise? How well does the tranny shift (both timing and feel)? How does the engine sound? How is the sound of the doors shutting? Toyota engineers everything for proper feel and sound down to just the right weight to the turn signal. Ford uses the same parts for virtually every car they make.

The domestics (daimler has helped chrysler, but not enough) engineer to the "good enough" standard. The few exceptions cost upwards of thirty thousand, Fairly steep to finally start getting quality. Ford did have a breakthrough with the Focus, but that's really just an imported european car. Chevy's Cobalt is lightyears ahead of the Cavalier, but it's yet to be seen if it can stand with the Corolla or Civic. The Neon is laughably outdated.

Percieved quality is a great concept. Its actually funny to watch. Take an owner of a 3+ year old domestic and show them a brand new one, they can't believe how nice it is and how much its improved. Show the owner of a 3+ year old import (big two) a brand new domestic, the reaction is close to "so what?" The reason: Domestic cars degrade so quickly that the exact same car they have, but brand new seems immensely improved.

Edited by bobbymokie

@AMD 1999 jetta is an awsome car, too bad they have become too upscale and the new models cost almost around 30k.

Yea, at the time a brand new one was low 20's. It is a great engineered car. I think of it as the honda civic of german engineering. With their huge popularity then jacked up the price and have made them more luxurious.

I have the basic model, only thing upgraded is A/C and CD Player. It is a 4 cylinder, 115hp with a 2 liter. Only thing I wish is that it was manual. There was a huge waiting list at the dealer as the factories couldn't produce the stick ones quick enough so we were stuck with auto. My parents bought it and they let me use it for now for free but I pay for insurance. :mrgreen:

The best thing about it is it's solid feel on the road. It has a solid feel to it while driving in it and even when you close the doors it has the solid feel and it just feels sturdy. I've driven a 2001 civic and it felt like driving a tin can.

My favorite feature is the awesome lights on the gages at night.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by The Dude

:P

You know?

This reminds me of something from many years ago.

I was Mates with a German Bloke, who incidentially went on to help set up most of the TV Stations in Colour TV in AussieLand.

He was working in a Factory here, when he first arrived, not being able to speak English. His Job was to check slipper bearings for Holden Cars to ensure they were the right diamensions. The particular Line he was working on was for .005inch oversize slipper bearings. Towards the end of the Shift, the Boss came up and inspectet the huge tub of rejects my Mate had made and was quite agreviated with him. An Interpreter had to be called to explain things all round. The Boss kept saying that .004 and .006 was acceptable, then, my Mate saw red. He said in broken English, " 1mm here, 1mm there, no wonder the Holden Motor goes Rattlie Bang!" He got the Sack, went on to better Things.

:beer: :beer:

Bad thing about American cars is that the clutch is so damn hard. On Jap cars they are like butter.

I dunno if you can generalize that statement, but it is your opinion (and I support it) in terms of what I've heard.

I've never driven manual (I plan to learn next year). Oh yeah, I just realized I called you AMD, hehehe force of habit. :lol:

What made you choose between a Jetta or a Passat? Did you consider getting one or the other? Were the prices different? The biggest cosmetic difference is the Jetta's large capacity trunk.

What made you choose between a Jetta or a Passat? Did you consider getting one or the other? Were the prices different? The biggest cosmetic difference is the Jetta's large capacity trunk.

Well my parents bought the car. They were thinking of the Jetta vs the Civic and they just felt from the test drive that the Jetta was a more sturdy vehicle and it looked nicer. Price was the biggest factor however. That Jetta was the first car my family has ever bought new. Cash was tight and the Jetta was definitely the best bang for the buck. My dad did dream of an Audi A4 for a while though. He missed his old stick 6 cylinder 4WD 1990 Audi with 200,000 on it that he bought used with 100,000 on it with original transmission. The car was basically rusting apart but the engine was in perfect shape. However, the brakes went and it wasn't worth replacing because the car frame was rusting out.

My dad had an old Toyota Pickup truck that he drove for like 10 years that he bought used and he sold it because it was also rusting. The door had a hole in it the size of a basketball. A friend construction worker bought it from him, got t-boned and sold it to some guy who owns a farm so now it drives crooked and tows bales of hay and such. :lol:

I'm curious to where the Jetta was actually built.

*Goes outside to check*

For some reason there is no sticker on the door but for some reason I'm thinking Mexico.

Edited by The Dude

Well my parents bought the car. They were thinking of the Jetta vs the Civic and they just felt from the test drive that the Jetta was a more sturdy vehicle and it looked nicer. Price was the biggest factor however. That Jetta was the first car my family has ever bought new. Cash was tight and the Jetta was definitely the best bang for the buck. My dad did dream of an Audi A4 for a while though. He missed his old stick 6 cylinder 4WD 1990 Audi with 200,000 on it that he bought used with 100,000 on it with original transmission. The car was basically rusting apart but the engine was in perfect shape. However, the brakes went and it wasn't worth replacing because the car frame was rusting out.

My dad had an old Toyota Pickup truck that he drove for like 10 years that he bought used and he sold it because it was also rusting. The door had a hole in it the size of a basketball. A friend construction worker bought it from him, got t-boned and sold it to some guy who owns a farm so now it drives crooked and tows bales of hay and such. :lol:

I'm curious to where the Jetta was actually built.

*Goes outside to check*

For some reason there is no sticker on the door but for some reason I'm thinking Mexico.

Yeah, my 1988 Volkswagen Golf GL was assembled in Mexico. The roof lining fell apart, but the clutch, engine, and the transmission stayed perfect for 10 years, before we sold it for an A4 (dad got a job upgrade).

I think most of the Volkwagen's aren't assembled in Mexico anymore, which raises the production costs, but keeps quality up too.

Sounds like testosterone speaking. 

Why even bother getting into a bench racing session over a Honda sedan?  That's pathetic.

If you would really like to go bench racing I'll just pull out a bike and the race is over, in addition to the fact that the willy on your cage will shrivel at the sight of it.   :lol:

Sorry, but on a limited income with shakey finances and two children to feed one would be a fool to engage in such thinking.

Oh....and in addition to that, the Horsepower figure I quoted is SAE NET,  of course.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/opine/horsepwr.html

BHP is Brake Horsepower.  It can refer to either SAE Gross or SAE NET, but it certainly does not mean "Base Horsepower".  It actually refers to the "braking force" measurements used on the dynamometer regardless of whether that is applied at the crank or at the wheels.

And if you really want to go bench racing on those numbers, have a read on Advertised Horsepower.....

(and for Hurdy, I knew all of that...and a heck of a lot more about engines, I googled only for a reference  ;)  )   :lol:

I would never waste my time racing a honda.......I just drive normal everyday driving. Then I here something falling apart and look over and it's a honda LOL

zroom zroom and they think I'm racing....It's the biggest funny.

I only race cars that are the same league ...why waste good clutch & tire money on a honda? That's just plain dumb....and I never bench race......just telling it like it is B)

And my 69 would eat a 1000 ninja for lunch :P

Good thing about racing bikes is they always want a rolling start.....works for me :)

BHP really?

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?...ct&Acronym=bhp+

http://www.arboristsite.com/archive/index.php/t-465.html

CMBetz06-06-2001, 08:01 PM

As I recall, BHP stands for British Horsepower, which equals 550 foot-lbs per second, or 745.7 watts. Really, it is a measurement of "work."

In my experience, horsepower is less a component of the ability of a saw to make a cut as displacement, which roughly translates into torque, and the rpms, which directly translate into how many cutters are going to contact the wood directly below the kerf.

As for why Stihl does not publish their rpms, that remains a mystery to me.

Stihl Dealer06-06-2001, 10:03 PM

BPH stands for Base Horsepower

Stihl dealers can tell you what the rpm for a particular saw is if you ask

They range anywhere from about 11.000 to 14,500 rpm depending on model

Horsepower is a more reliable way to rate a saw than is c.c's or cubic inches. Stihl makes some saws that are smaller cubes and put out more horsepower. This is especially true if you look at their string trimmers.

Deere John

Me thought bhp meant brake horse power? Three opinions, now what do we do?

Stihl #1

You have two horsepower figures for any given engine.

ihp(indicated horsepower):this is the theoretical horsepower of an engine. It can be calculated using advanced math calculations and is the hp an engine could produce if there were no frictional losses inside the engine.

bhp(brake horsepower):this is the actual usable hp. It comes from the first dyno's where a band brake would be used to put a load on an engine to figure out the actual usable hp. Here is the formula to calculate bhp.

BHP=(torque x rpm)/5250

I've always called it base hp because it at the engine not tires....at the tires is real HP

From your search site I'm guessing

Advertised Horsepower

Surprise! Those horsepower numbers presented in advertising and brochures aren't always accurate. Though manufacturers are supposed to base their horsepower ratings on SAE net standards, they are not completely beholden to it. They often fudge the numbers. Ford and Mazda both recently got in trouble with the Mustang Cobra and the MX-5 Miata, respectively, when they delivered a car that had less horsepower than what they advertised. Ford ended up doing considerable warranty work to bring the numbers up where they belonged, and Mazda re-rated their car and offered to buy back any offended customers' cars. General Motors regularly underrates their engines, most notably the GM LS1 5.7L engine as installed in the F-body (Camaro and Firebird) cars. Mechanically almost identical to the engines installed in the Y-body car (Corvette), the engine mysteriously "lost" 40 advertised horsepower in the F-body chassis. Although this technically is as fraudulent as selling a car with less than the advertised horsepower, no one seems to complain when they get a car with more horsepower than what appears on the spec sheet.

Dyno Racing

He's not really in the game anyway.

San Bernardino airport?

If you now what I'm talikng about then you are in the game :lol:

Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda RX-7, Acura, Lexus all base horse power BHP not at the tires..

http://www.asiancars.8m.com/about.html

Here's one that rates them all at the engine at bhp

My vette is the 93zr1 with some moding.

Look at the top speed on the turbo zx LOL 4th gear in my car

http://www.supercars.net/Comp?sourceList=1...727-344-3088-13

UK site again rating american cars with that hp thing

http://www.motorvatinusa.org.uk/intro.html.../histpart4.html

2006 Z06 Corvette

427 cid Aluminum C5R blueprinted block

512HP with advertised 500HP

Aluminum block w/104.8mm bores & pressed-in liners

Forged steel crankshaft with 101.6mm stroke

6-bolt forged steel main bearing caps

Titanium connecting rods

Cast Eutectic aluminum flat-top pistons

Racing-derived CNC-ported aluminum heads w/ 70cc chambers

56mm titanium intake valves

2005 Shelby Cobra GT500

engine Aluminum Mod V8

aspiration Screw-Type Supercharger w/Air-to-water Intercooler

valvetrain DOHC, 4 Valves per Cyl

fuel feed Electronic, Returnless & Sequential Ignition

displacement 5409 cc / 330.1 cu in

bore 90.22 mm / 3.55 in

stroke 105.8 mm / 4.17 in

power 335.6 kw / 450 bhp

hp per litre 83.19 bhp per litre

bhp/weight 188.92 bhp per we.

I just like this one :P

It doesn't say giddy up honda :rofl2::rofl3:

http://www.musclecarmuseum.com/index2.htm

Bottom line they have junk cars.....and they don't rate the power the same.

Anyone can buy and drive what ever they like.

To you what ever you have is the best.

It's just like an amd & intel thing and again I have both.

I have ford trucks and chevy cars.......and friends don't let friends drive chevy's

All done don't time to make any more funnies on those great cars.

Ok one more funny

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27368

Edited by Beast_USA

Oh come on Beast, everybody knows all you have to do is put a "fart can" muffler on an import it makes it bling, bling fast. :rofl3:

Edited by Bruce

Here's one that rates them all at the engine at bhp

My vette is the 93zr1 with some moding.

Look at the top speed on the turbo zx LOL 4th gear in my car

http://www.supercars.net/Comp?sourceList=1...727-344-3088-13

Speed governed. The car itself is capable of more, but of course the ZR1 will have higher top speed. It was the top corvette of it's time and carried a high enough price tag to go with it. When you have a performance car that has 100+ more horsepower & torque than the 300zx it's expected to accelerate much faster. I know it doesn't take much to get the 90's 300zx into the high 12's and low 13's, about where a ZR1 sits. You can even have an 80's 300zx that would run faster times than the zr1 for less $10,000 and that's including the price of the car. :lol: But I guess you could say the same for mustangs and camaros. Don't hate on all Japanese cars. You can do just as much to them at low cost than you can on most American cars.

I would never waste my time racing a honda.......I just drive normal everyday driving. Then I here something falling apart and look over and it's a honda LOL

zroom zroom and they think I'm racing....It's the biggest funny.

I only race cars that are the same league ...why waste good clutch & tire money on a honda? That's just plain dumb....and I never bench race......just telling it like it is B)

And my 69 would eat a 1000 ninja for lunch :P

Good thing about racing bikes is they always want a rolling start.....works for me :)

BHP really?

Yes really. In the context you were using it, BHP means exactly what I said.

Why? Because the rating is in SAE NET. Remember? You were trying to have us believe that Honda was using SAE Gross...which you were calling Base Horsepower....which is wrong....it is rated in SAE NET.

Yes, they do rate it the same...SAE NET. Not at the wheels. You in fact do not know what you are talking about. Posting a bunch of links that say BHP means nothing since BHP in that context means SAE NET.

Since you like Corvettes so much (so do I by the way) http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2005/vmd10302ov.html

The sixth generation (C6) Corvette returns with a 400-bhp 6.0L V-8 and more radical styling.

BHP? Of course! Because in this context it means SAE NET as I have said....just like Honda. All cars sold in the US are rated by SAE NET and it is sometimes called BHP because BHP can mean either at the crank or at the wheels, it is not specific in that regard.

http://www.parkplacerentals.com/corvette-rental.htm

Corvette C5 50th Anniversary Convertible

Performance figures

Power 350 bhp / 261.1 kW @ 5600 rpm

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...article_id=1458

Road & Track

the C5 Corvette and the 400 bhp at 6000 rpm and 400 lb.-ft. of torque peaking at 4400 rpm

(Better call the Road & Track editor and corrct them :lol: )

http://www.autofieldguide.com/columns/mccorm/0900mcc.html

Automotive Design and Production

The standard LS1 V8 motor now generates 350 bhp (a five-bhp increase over the previous version).

In your link where it says BHP for the "Supercars" why is the vette only at 405 if it is being measured at the crank when that car is officially rated at 405 SAE NET (at the wheels)? It should be around 20% more...why isn't it?

From your link:

1993 Corvette Coupe ZR1  302.0 kw / 405.0 bhp @ 5800 rpm

Specs for C4 Corvettes

YEARS                1990-92                    1993-1995 

SAE Net Power  375 hp @ 6,000 rpm  405 hp @ 5,800 rpm 

I'll tell you why, because BHP in that chart meansSAE NET. Unless of course you are trying to say the Vette is a dog.

I can't believe you could know Corvettes and not spot right away that the 93 ZR1 in that chart is at 405 SAE NET. Yes it says BHP, because BHP can and does mean SAE NET. Go ahead and look up the specs on any of those cars in your chart my friend, they are all rated at the wheels, yet you are claiming it is at the crank because it says BHP. Check the specs.

Aw what the heck....here's another one for you.

http://www.fast-autos.net/chevrolet/chevro...orvettez06.html

2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Horsepower: 385 bhp @ 6000 rpm

Look at the class action suits against manufacturers for lying about what their Horsepower is....they are all againstt the American makes, none against the Japanese. Nobody sued Corvette because they actually deflated the numbers, but that is still a lie.

Ninja? Had a 900 Ninja. My Chopper is faster. I don't ride tupperware.

Looks like another Testosterone post. :lol:

Edited by Chopdoc

By the way, my Chevelle was rated on the wheel dyno at 425 HP.....and 500 ft/lbs of torque.

Of course with those kinds of numbers you can guess it was a stroker, only the severe rod angles of a stroker will generate those kinds of numbers.

We haven't even mentioned torque yet....you can imagine that Chevelle was a stump puller.

I'd still put my 1999 Skyline against any yank car on the track (if I still had it) . ;)

Any?

It's very a fast car, but not nearly as fast as the fastest American cars. Not even close.

The skyline is a 4.1 second zero to sixty car and that's in tuner trim...hopped up, it's more like 4.9 stock, the fastest American cars are sub three seconds zero to sixty right out of the showroom.

There is no replacement for displacement.

Allow serious modification and it gets insane. You would be watching your in-line six tear itself to pieces against cars that can be built to crank out in the 1500 horsepower range and still idle with the air conditioning on.

Edited by Chopdoc

I have explained the HP rating systems many times here before, its getting old.

Either way Intra I dont see the skyline dominating any international racing circuits ;)

Hate to mention this, but sae net and bhp both mean at the crank with all accessories and emissions on. None of them mean at the wheels. Not one car out there will dyno the manufacturer's spec'd hp. Gross refers to just the engine and nothing else to draw power, which is why the classoc muscle cars boasted such high numbers, but poor performance in todays terms. That and weight.

Oh come on Beast, everybody knows all you have to do is put a "fart can" muffler on an import it makes it bling, bling fast. :rofl3:

Oh yeah baby make em fly.

Chop,

give it up it's base (well where are you from) and they don't rate them the same. They always BS about those egg beaters.

And from your google knowledge whaoo......on your site....who lies the most about HP being higher?

Ford and Mazda both recently got in trouble with the Mustang Cobra and the MX-5 Miata, respectively, when they delivered a car that had less horsepower than what they advertised. Ford ended up doing considerable warranty work to bring the numbers up where they belonged, and Mazda re-rated their car and offered to buy back any offended customers' cars. I would say both

No reply for the airport?......Not in the game? or maybe it don't google :woot::roller::rofl2::shrug: