Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

So you like Japanese Cars....

the hp and torque differences are a lot also. Find comparable engines between the two cars and compare, also it would be good to compare the charger to the accord rather than a station wagon.

The first car I'm going to buy once I have a stable job is a used Mustang GT. When I'm retired I plan on getting a convertable. :lol:

But yea, Americans are starting to make some sleek looking rides

Mustang GT

:drool:

Edited by The Dude

19/27 (city/highway) whereas an accord can get 24/34. It's still a big difference.

And my Accord has 240 ponies....no slouch at all.....and it is a ULEV (ultra low emissions vehicle)

Oh yeah....and made in the USA......

And my Accord has 240 ponies....no slouch at all.....and it is a ULEV (ultra low emissions vehicle)

Oh yeah....and made in the USA......

Isn't everything?

I could compare the magnum against an STi (in terms of power to weight ratio and gas milage) but they I dunno if I still consider an Subaru STi an American car. I could have sworn they were japanese until GM bought them, just like Jaguar being British. (STi is japanese based anyways), and then I could mention a Lancer Evo 7, which in some people's opinions trumps the STi for a cheaper cost.

I don't think comparing engines is a good idea. I mean a 5.7L engine putting out 340 horses, wheras a 2.5L STi can put out around 300... and a 2.0L GTI R32 can put out 240+ HP.

Just look at the E55 AMG, look at the horsepower and torque it puts out with the same engine displacement.

I personally think Power to Weight Ratio is the best measurement of performance, or at least somehow accounting for acceleration, top speed, and breaking distances.

Or you could think I am avoiding the question, because I wholeheartedly admit the Magnum has GREAT value for its engine size while maintaining good mileage, but I'm not sure how great the engine thoroughput is.

Isn't everything?

I could compare the magnum against an STi (in terms of power to weight ratio and gas milage) but they I dunno if I still consider an Subaru STi an American car. I could have sworn they were japanese until GM bought them, just like Jaguar being British. (STi is japanese based anyways), and then I could mention a Lancer Evo 7, which in some people's opinions trumps the STi for a cheaper cost.

I don't think comparing engines is a good idea. I mean a 5.7L engine putting out 340 horses, wheras a 2.5L STi can put out around 300... and a 2.0L GTI R32 can put out 240+ HP.

Just look at the E55 AMG, look at the horsepower and torque it puts out with the same engine displacement.

I personally think Power to Weight Ratio is the best measurement of performance, or at least somehow accounting for acceleration, top speed, and breaking distances.

Or you could think I am avoiding the question, because I wholeheartedly admit the Magnum has GREAT value for its engine size while maintaining good mileage, but I'm not sure how great the engine thoroughput is.

No I don't think you are avoiding the question.

Comparing engines is difficult and complex.

Just looking at the raw numbers does not tell the whole story. A small engine is working a lot harder to make horses like a big one. It is working much closer to its limits. Its always nice to have those ponies made by cubes that are fed at atmospheric pressure.

You can build a nasty big V8 with well over 1000 horses that will idle all day with the air conditioning on. Try that with a small four or six.

Then there are the finer points like bearing designs, chamber designs, rod angles, cam profiles, materials and metallurgy, ignition systems, etc....a gazillion variables that determine the character, durability, and other things about a particular engine.

My point about my Accord is that it is no slouch for power (just a general statement) while retaining an extremely good emissions rating, great economy, and legendary design and build quality. In addition to that it has a 100,000 mile warranty.

Basically it is a very well executed design in a very well executed package. No one thing stands out on it in any way really, it's not a performance car, it simply is not that kind of car. It is simply excellence evenly distributed throughout.

love the new ride Bruce.

I can't afford the gas in something like that when I drive an hour to work now. Plus the sticker price makes me go into a coma just looking at it lol...

I will stick to my very dependable Nissan for now :mrgreen:

its boring chop

Oh yes, absolutely. :lol:

That is the one thing I can't get over. I still look at other cars and think "I could have bought that".

I have never owned a four door, and this is only my second auto....and the first one was converted to a full manual valve body anyway.

The car is totally out of character for me.

But it was a very smart decision for a person in my circumstances.

Besides...I have exciting......I have my bikes. And somehow 11 second quarters on a chopper just seems much sweeter than it could be in any car. ;)

horrible advice. always go with the pizazz. always. :tup:

What if pizazz burns a big hole in your wallet, or makes an everyday tasks a bother.

What if pizazz burns a big hole in your wallet, or makes an everyday tasks a bother.

but it still looks pretty. pretty goes a long way.

but it still looks pretty.  pretty goes a long way.

Hmm, ok, I could eat at a french restaurant and spend $50 bucks on myself everyday, and spend about $300-400 a week. Or I could make my own food, by cooking meat, pasta, etc for about $100 a week comfortably. That adds up to a savings of at least $10,000 a year.

I think you should rephase your statement

always go with the pizazz. always

to: pizazz in moderation. :)

Edited by DK64_MASTER

My last three corvetts (last one ZR1)have all been over 30 mpg on the freeway cruise controll set at 80 mph....they tach under 2000rpms at 80.

So I will stick with my Full size 4X4 real 4X4 2 front and back Fords.

And my vettes.

I saw someone post 240hp honda? Would be bhp (Base Horse Power) not at the tires.

The US started rating horse power at the tires in the early 70's.

So 240bhp would be around 170 to 180 at the tires.

Unless they started rating real HP but I don't think so......looking in repair book still says bhp :)

So if a american car says 500 hp it's 500 hp.

That's why the corvettes in the 60's had over 400bhp then in 1970-72 they dropped to 295-310hp

For me my cars & trucks are no different then my computer IT MUST BE VERY FAST :lol:

So I wouldn't ever even think of buying anything under 300HP at the rear.

And yes it was an 80's ZX.........Test drove a 2000 or 2001 turbo ZX still only 300-315BHP and it was a dog :(

Sorry they are just not fast fast...next to a honda, chevy chevette, any 4 banger...then they are fast.

Up next to American Muscle no chance :woot: and their gas... mpg is not that great.

And yes it was an 80's ZX.........Test drove a 2000 or 2001 turbo ZX still only 300-315BHP and it was a dog  :(

I knew it. What a sucky experience to ruin it's reputation with you. :lol: Those old 300zx are actually quite fast if you put a little cash into them. With about $500 you can make them just as fast as a 99+ mustang gt. Then $3000-$4000 more, depending on what parts you use, and you're likely to be in the 12's.

love the new ride Bruce.

I can't afford the gas in something like that when I drive an hour to work now. Plus the sticker price makes me go into a coma just looking at it lol...

I will stick to my very dependable Nissan for now :mrgreen:

Tracy,

I bought it a month ago, and in the 8,000 miles I have put on it, I have been getting, 22 to 24 miles per gallon around town and 27 to 29 on the highway. The lower numbers are with the AC on, the higher numbers without it on. After driving pickup trucks for the past 20 years, this is an economy car for me. :P;) Not sure where you get sticker shock from because the car was extremely affordable. I got the car just under $20,000. :banana2: My son is the service manager at a local Chrysler Dealership. :shifty:

one2,

The Charger will be in my driveway next spring. :tup: Have my eye on one, Brilliant Black, with the SRT8 Hemi (435 HP) add a supercharger for 482 rear wheel horsepower. I have been already out looking around for them.

My last three corvetts (last one ZR1)have all been over 30 mpg on the freeway cruise controll set at 80 mph....they tach under 2000rpms at 80.

So I will stick with my Full size 4X4 real 4X4 2 front and back Fords.

And my vettes.

I saw someone post 240hp honda? Would be bhp (Base Horse Power) not at the tires.

The US started rating horse power at the tires in the early 70's.

So 240bhp would be around 170 to 180 at the tires.

Unless they started rating real HP but I don't think so......looking in repair book still says bhp :)

So if a american car says 500 hp it's 500 hp.

That's why the corvettes in the 60's had over 400bhp then in 1970-72 they dropped to 295-310hp

For me my cars & trucks are no different then my computer IT MUST BE VERY FAST  :lol:

So I wouldn't ever even think of buying anything under 300HP at the rear.

And yes it was an 80's ZX.........Test drove a 2000 or 2001 turbo ZX still only 300-315BHP and it was a dog  :(

Sorry they are just not fast fast...next to a honda, chevy chevette, any 4 banger...then they are fast.

Up next to American Muscle no chance :woot: and their gas... mpg is not that great.

Sounds like testosterone speaking.

Why even bother getting into a bench racing session over a Honda sedan? That's pathetic.

If you would really like to go bench racing I'll just pull out a bike and the race is over, in addition to the fact that the willy on your cage will shrivel at the sight of it. :lol:

Sorry, but on a limited income with shakey finances and two children to feed one would be a fool to engage in such thinking.

Oh....and in addition to that, the Horsepower figure I quoted is SAE NET, of course.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/opine/horsepwr.html

SAE Net Horspower

In 1972, American manufacturers phased in SAE net horsepower. This is the standard on which current American ratings are based. This rating is measured at the flywheel, on an engine dyno, but the engine is tested with all accessories installed, including a full exhaust system, all pumps, the alternator, the starter, and emissions controls. Both SAE net and SAE gross horsepower test procedures are documented in Society of Automotive Engineers standard J1349. Because SAE net is so common, this is the standard we will use to compare all others.

BHP is Brake Horsepower. It can refer to either SAE Gross or SAE NET, but it certainly does not mean "Base Horsepower". It actually refers to the "braking force" measurements used on the dynamometer regardless of whether that is applied at the crank or at the wheels.

And if you really want to go bench racing on those numbers, have a read on Advertised Horsepower.....

(and for Hurdy, I knew all of that...and a heck of a lot more about engines, I googled only for a reference ;) ) :lol:

Edited by Chopdoc

If you would really like to go bench racing I'll just pull out a bike and the race is over, in addition to the fact that the willy on your cage will shrivel at the sight of it. :lol:

In th almost 30 years I have been on the road it never ceases to amaze me that people still argue about what has the most best etc.....Hey kids...its the driver...

My ol Canotuna (designed by a German and built by the Japanese, owned and trained by a 'merican) will still make most people who ride on the back wet their pants if I get on it. Now my ZZR...that is for flying on the ground.

American engine quality has come a long way in the past few years....who pushed them into improving so much.....the competition correct?

Put it in "R" for race and go fast :woot:

Sorry, they American cars may be getting better looking (matter of opinion), but slapping in an enourmous engine does not make up for shoddy engineering.I've been selling cars for four years total and also worked in a service department. All the cars seem so nice and fancy on the showroom. We learn real quick how long that niceness lasts selling them used. American cars, as a general rule, get loose, squeaky, they rattel, have trim problems, develope wind noise, electric motors give out quickly (power seats and windows) and just kind of fall apart. MAybe its due to the union enforced mediocrity. Who knows. But many ten year old jap cars run as well or better then the new domestics.

Edited by bobbymokie

never had any of those problems with any of the american cars my family has owned, figure 30 or so. Contrary to what you just typed my mothers 350z has been in the shop 6 times since it was purchased as an 05.

Edited by one2gamble