Sign in to follow this  
Rebel=UK=

Police Shoot Man dead

As for trusting cops, have some sympathy for the situation, or at least what appears to be the situation. They seemed to have shot this guy in the head because they thought he might have been wired with explosives. I'm sure they would have preferred to have taken him alive and interrogated him, but even if you winged the guy he might have reached for a detonator. We'll hear more about the incident no doubt and have all the time we need to evaluate what the cop had about three seconds to decide. If the cop made a mistake I hope they'll change policies and/or training. But if the guy had set off a bomb there would have been a lot more people dead than just him.

Just yesterday I had my own "encounter" with local police. I went into Target to return some stuff and buy a few more things. When I came out there was a commotion around the car parked next to me, including a big crowd and three cop cars. It was about 90 degrees out (the sun was still blazing) and there was the cutest little dog locked in this car. He had been in there about 45 minutes according to the lady that first saw him, and he was getting awfully hot. They had tried paging the owner of the car several times in Target without a response so after about another 15 minutes they broke the window to get the dog out. I pretty much had to stay there because all the cars had me boxed in.

About five minutes later this lady comes out and is all upset asking what happened. They tell her they broke the window to get the dog out and she is like "I was only in there for a few minutes." The police handled it all calmly and professionally, a lot more calmly than some of the people who were standing around that were ready to lynch this woman. What really got me was that she was upset that they broke her window and couldn't understand why she couldn't get her dog back right then. She's going to court on animal cruelty charges no doubt. They asked the Target for their security tapes to see the exact time she came in and out of the store.

Anyway, my point is that these guys spend all day handing out bad news to people in one way or another, so just remember that when you get on their case and second guess them. I have stories of police abuse too, but overall I have a lot of sympathy for their difficult job.

Sorry, but even if it were a criminal unrelated to this there is a danger of an uproar....like the guy who snatched a purse yesterday. It would have been perfectly reasonable to drop him...

EDFIT: The guy was jumpingover a toll gate evading police.....not innocent even if he wasn't a terrorist. Running from police in the aftermath of such a situation is begging for bullets.

Ya the part about catching him and pushing him down to the floor "then pumping 5 shots into him" is meaningless. :rolleyes:

It would be one thing to shoot him if he was running, but to grab him, shove him down on the ground and then start shooting seems..................odd?

"They pushed him onto the floor and unloaded five shots into him," Whitby said. "He looked like a cornered fox. He looked petrified."

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePr...143966-sun.html

There will always be corrupt policemen/women, but you cannot tar all police with the same brush.

Why not? It seems many people are willing to shoot at anything that looks even remotely suspicious.

I mean after all, if killing already captured suspects rather then arresting them is going to be standard proceedure, then might as well just get rid of the court rooms, prosecuters, jails..........laws that protect innocent people......."innocent until proven guilty"

Just hand everything over to the jackboots, hide in your house now, because if one doesn't like for some reason, it's just kill em, we can call him a terrorist.

Yes Bruce, things have taken a very nasty turn in London now. It is a war zone now and the goalposts have been moved accordingly, shoot first and ask questions later. Everyone is very jumpy and can't blame them for that.

Yes Bruce, things have taken a very nasty turn in London now. It is a war zone now and the goalposts have been moved accordingly, shoot first and ask questions later. Everyone is very jumpy and can't blame them for that.

im sorry its come to that for the people of london, but i honestly dont see what other choice they have.

Actually Jazzy, I do and can blame them for that. They not only should, but are required in my opinion to be more professional.

Professional, trained, law enforcement people should not be shooting people who are already down on the ground and subdued.

If that is the best they can do, I'll take my chances with the terrorists.

I certainly don't expect police officers to be judge, jury, and "executioners".

It's a sad day when civilzed nations accept the fact that their police forces are "murdering people in cold blood".

I'm suffering from information starvation and that's not good.

Take the first bombings- Timers ? No timers ? Military explosives ? Home-made explosives ?

If the guy yesterday was under surveillance, as we're told, why was he allowed to get into a tube station ?

Without information, five shots into the chest of a restrained man is an execution. I'm not for letting this government execute people on the subway.

Very good points Bruce. You and I don't live in London so don't feel the tension there, we can only guess.

That shooting does look very bad from here though. :(

:mrsgreen: you sure you mean that Bruce?

Absolutely I meant that.

I pass/see no less then 20 to 30 State Troopers on my way to and from work everyday.

I do not want them running around executing people who are already captured, on the ground and subdued.......... That would be a much more dangerous situation.

That shooting does look very bad from here though

Yes, it does. I feel we were lucky that the BBC managed to interview a bloke that saw the whole thing close up and had the intelligence to convincingly convey what he saw.

Now we need to know why the police acted as they did. Guesswork isn't good enough.

It must be very tough for the law enforcement people in UK at the moment.The point has already been made that the London bobby does not carry a gun.....I find that very scary at this time...... :erm:

I find that very scary at this time.....

You can actually approach them with your hands in your pockets and ask directions. Frightening.

Yes, it does.  I feel we were lucky that the BBC managed to interview a bloke that saw the whole thing close up and had the intelligence to convincingly convey what he saw.

Now we need to know why the police acted as they did.  Guesswork isn't good enough.

Watched that interview a couple of times. A very articulate man saying they unloaded 5 shots into the guy as he laid on the ground. We need answers fast, hope they don't try to hush it up.

Now we need to know why the police acted as they did.

:blank: Moon..the facts are that the plain-clothed officers are following orders mate..Downing street has issued a standing order..SHOOT TO KILL.... :unsure:

If that is the best they can do, I'll take my chances with the terrorists.

I find that remark of particular bad taste.

You have a full report of the incident?

Latest witness report, male wearing a bomb belt

The object of surveillance is to obtain intelligence on a subject, at the point it appears public safety maybe at risk then the surveillance is secondary to the protection of the public. With two days of attacks on Londons public transport and the suspect heading into a tube station, I would say that it was the right time to act. As for pumping him full of bullets. You may or may not have heard the report of the change of firearms and ammunition by the police. Handguns are preferred over the MP5 with a round with less velocity so the risk of the round exiting the target and causing injury to a member of the public is reduced.

Did all five rounds enter his head? who knows, nobody has seen the PM report. The polices objective was to prevent the person detonating the device. I have discussed with The Doc before about police shooting at central mass to incapacitate, but the police now appear to have received direction (I believe from speaking with Israel) in suicide bombers circumstances to shoot at the central nervous system the head.

Professional, trained, law enforcement people should not be shooting people who are already down on the ground and subdued.

In the correct circumstances, yes they should.

I certainly don't expect police officers to be judge, jury, and "executioners

The police officer will be suspended from duty and will automatically be investigated for around 18 offences, ranging from murder to much lesser offences. This investigation will last months if not years whilst the officer suspended from duty. So they are hardly judge, jury, and executioners.

If you still rather take your chances with terrorists, you must live in a very bad place.

Jack

I sense a conflict here. They need to sort it, and sort it publicly.

"To sum up, a police officer should not decide to open fire unless that officer is satisfied that nothing short of opening fire could protect the officer or another person from imminent danger to life or serious injury."

A senior Metropolitan police source with knowledge of firearms procedures said of the shooting at Stockwell: "This was an intelligence led operation, within the parameters of Kratos." Officially the Met will not talk about Kratos, but the tactics have been in place for a year and were developed after British officers learnt from their Israeli counterparts how best to tackle suicide bombers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/attackonlondon/s...1534753,00.html

Char, you say;

Latest witness report provided by the police, male wearing a bomb belt

whereas your link says;

Passenger Anthony Larkin told BBC News the man appeared to be wearing a "bomb belt with wires coming out".

That's not an official police statement. I expect there will be an official statement to that effect because I can't see any other reason for such action. The again , I have no idea what 'Kratos' is. Should find out soon enough.

The police officer will be suspended from duty and will automatically be investigated for around 18 offences, ranging from murder to much lesser offences. This investigation will last months if not years whilst the officer suspended from duty.

I reckon that as long as non-Muslim societies continue being padantic about glorifying "people's rights" that they will NEVER nuetralize the enemy within.After all, if they are too busy arguing points of law the enemy continues on it's merciless mission...I bet they would be thankful for the do-gooders in this early stage of Jee-had....

Moon,

That's not an official police statement

Sorry, my wrong wording - post edited. What I was trying to say was the police have allowed this to be reported. In circumstances like these, the police can suspend reports if they believe them to be either false or a security issue. But you're right it wasn't 'reported by police'

Jack

A man shot dead by police hunting the bombers behind Thursday's London attacks was unconnected to the incidents, police have confirmed.

A Scotland Yard statement said the shooting was a "tragedy" which was regretted by the Metropolitan Police.

???????????????

So this was a guy running for a train ?

I hope that's the end of the 'shoot to kill' debate. The Israelis can take their 'Kratos' policy and shove it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4711021.stm

Edited by moon

???????????????

So this was a guy running for a train ? 

I hope that's the end of the 'shoot to kill' debate.  The Israelis can take their 'Kratos' policy and shove it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4711021.stm

Not exactly...

1: Witnesses report seeing up to 20 plain clothes police officers chase a man into Stockwell Tube station from the street

He was running for his life it seems - how ironic.

I guess everyone knows better now; don't run from the police.

Edited by Neo X1

I guess everyone knows better now; don't run from the police.

Are you kidding ? Run as fast as you can.

Are you kidding ? Run as fast as you can.

Don't trip if you do. :blink:

Keep your head down and your butt high when you do. You can take about 5 shots to butt, you can only take 1 to the head.

Keep your head down and your butt high when you do. You can take about 5 shots to butt, you can only take 1 to the head.

I'll pass that on to any sprinting scoliosis sufferers I happen across.