Sign in to follow this  
kjcrsmiths

Website Links

thank you Y kawika for the ie fix post. now my ie 32 bit works in 64 bit. ive had problems i dont know why but its fixed now. now i can totally convert to 64 bit after my sata hd comes in.

thank you very much

You are most welcome karona and congrats on getting the 64 bit working! I shall remember your post when I run across another having the same difficulty. :mrgreen:

Jen,

Well, seeing as the HijackThis log wasn't so bad, let's try a different tact: File Associations.

Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel and double click "Folder Options", go to the "File Types" tab.

Scroll down to find this entry: URL: Gopher Protocol

Click it to highlight it and then click the Advanced button and then the Edit button.

The entries here should be exactly like this:

Action: open

Application used to perform this Action: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

(there is a space before the -nohome switch)

Use DDE: check this box

DDE Message: "%1",,-1,0,,,,

Application: IExplore

DDE Application Not Running: leave blank

Topic: WWW_OpenURL

If these are not correct, then change them to match.

Do the same for: URL: HyperText Transfer Protocol

and for:

URL: HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

Once these have been reviewed and/or changed to match the above, run the following commands.

Go to Start and then run and type:

iexplore /rereg

(note the space between iexplore and /rereg)

If you did not recieve a message that the previous command was successful, then do these three the same way one at a time (again note the space between them):

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll

regsvr32 Shell32.dll

Let me know what you discover. :)Y

All the file type settings were fine. When I typed in iexplore /rereg the following came up: "internet explorer is not currently your default browser. Would you like to make it your default browser? Yes or no" What does this mean? Thanks Jen

Interesting, I saw no other browsers on your HijackThis log. Did you click 'Yes'?

Open IE, then at the top, click on Tools, then Internet Options. Go to the "Programs" tab. Put a check next to: "Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the Default Browser".

Close IE.

Open IE again and you should see this window:

Posted Image

Uncheck the box: "Always perform this check when starting Internet Explorer".

Then click the "Yes" button to change the default browser to Internet Explorer.

:)Y

I did click yes when that box came up and when I type in iexplore /rereg I get "cannot find server/this page cannot be displayed" page opens. Should I have clicked no? OR is my computer just possessed! Thanks Jen

.....is my computer just possessed! 

I think they all are, some more than others is all! :lol:

Is IE now set as the default browser? If so, then register the 3 .dll's from my previous post.

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll

regsvr32 Shell32.dll

Remember the space between them. ;)Y

A couple more things to try. If you have your ME disk, or if you have the .cab files on your hard drive, then go to Start>Run and type: sfc /scannow

(note the space between sfc and /scannow) then press Enter on your keyboard or click OK with your mouse.

If the problem still persists, then let's go for the big guns. ;)

Download and Save to disk: Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

Go to Start>Run and type: regedit

press Enter or click OK.

Click MY Computer to highlight it.

At the top, click the "Registry" button, then click "Export", select a location to save the file. This is a backup of your Registry, always best to play it safe. ;)

In the Registry, open each of the following keys by clicking the "+" sign on the left of each:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SOFTWARE

Microsoft

Active Setup

Installed Components

Now scroll down and click to highlight the following:

{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

In the right hand window, you will see this entry: IsInstalled

Double click it and a window will open, change the value listed as 1 to 0.

Close regedit by clicking the X in the upper right corner.

Go to where you saved the Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 setup file, double click it to begin setup.

I sure hopes this nails it, I'm about out of ideas on this one. :)Y

I tried the sfc /scannow and it did not work. I don't have the ME disk so I don't know. I had a computer guy (he came over to hook up my husband's wireless router) come over and take a look at it and he also could not find the problem... oh wait he found a bunch of crap in my registry. Anyway, he suggested I wipe the hard drive clean and install windows xp. He also said that there are alot of problems with internet explorer especially with ME. He set my browser to firefox and the links are working fine. What do you think of all of this? Thanks Jen

Firefox is a great browser! Even if you do decide to go with XP (I prefer and use Windows 2000 Pro mostly), Firefox is still an option to consider. I use both IE and Firefox. Can't say that I have a favorite, but do use them both regularly. IE is of course still necessary to be able to get Windows Updates though.

Corruption in the registry is never good and often difficult as well as somewhat daunting to correct. If you do decide to continue with ME, reinstalling IE6 SP1, using the edit to the registry first will allow the installation to overwrite the the entries in the Reg with new "clean" entries.

Now I did goof, and I appologise. :blushing: I forgot that Windows ME does not have the System File Checker (SFC) utility. It uses what is called System File Protection (SFP). http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;274090

My experience with ME is that SFP does allow corrupted System Files and I have done a few "dirty installs" (installing on top of itself) to fix the problem(s).

We were looking to remove and fix any corrupted System Files, IE Files and their corresponding entries in the registry. Sorry to have stumbled a bit getting there.

If you do go with a new Operating System, install it clean. That is, just as your husband's friend suggested, wipe the hard drive clean (format) and then install fresh. Your rig will be much more stable.

I wish you well. :)Y

Just one more thing. Would this problem cause any problems with hooking up a wireless router? We setup D-Link in order for my husband to access the internet with his laptop. However I have two problems. First the status light on the router is not illuminated and second the laptop is not accessing the internet at all, the "name" of the wireless connection is showing up but when we trying clicking on internet explorer it says cannot find server. Can it not find the server because the status light is not on or do we not have something setup correctly on the laptop? Okay that was alot of questions/problems. Just call me the problem child. Any help on this would be appreciated. And I am going to go ahead and do the service pack reinstall as per your instructions above. Thanks Jen

The IE problem that you have on your computer has no influence on the router or the laptop.

Couple of questions though. What Operating System is on the laptop and is there a firewall enabled?

It sounds like the laptop and the router are not communicating.

Practically Networked has some terrific guidlines to help you get the connection functioning. Check the configuration of the laptop and then run the Ping Test

:)Y