Sign in to follow this  
kjcrsmiths

Website Links

I am having trouble with links on websites. Whenever I click on a link on a website, a box comes up but it is blank and my mouse is "thinking" and nothing else ever happens. I ran pcpitstop and it showed no problems. Why would this happen and how can I fix it?? Also my norton automatic update stopped working, "it found no programs to update", so I uninstalled and tried to reinstall but it would not reinstall, I even tried doing it with a clean boot. I don't know what is happening to my computer!!! Please help! Thanks Jen

Seems like something is wrong with your web browser. I am guessing you are using Internet Explorer. What version of Windows do you have?

Try the following fix first. If it doesnt work then reply and let us know what OS you have.

Make sure that Internet Explorer is closed.

Click on Start > Run > type in the following

regsvr32 /s urlmon.dll

Click OK

You typed that in, clicked OK, the window closed and nothing happened? If so, then that is what was supposed to happen. Does this problem still persist?

You can also go to the Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel.

Highlight Microsoft Internet Explorer. Click Add/Remove button. Select the 'Repair' option, click OK and then click YES. Reboot when prompted.

You can go back to the Add/Remove section and do what you did last time but instead of selecting the 'Repair' option try to choose the 'Restore'

After IE is restored to a previous version go to http://www.microsoft.com/ie and download the latest version again which should be IE 6 SP1. Install it and see if that fixes the problem.

I am having trouble with links on websites. Whenever I click on a link on a website, a box comes up but it is blank and my mouse is "thinking" and nothing else ever happens. I ran pcpitstop and it showed no problems. Why would this happen and how can I fix it?? Also my norton automatic update stopped working, "it found no programs to update", so I uninstalled and tried to reinstall but it would not reinstall, I even tried doing it with a clean boot. I don't know what is happening to my computer!!! Please help! Thanks Jen

I am more concerned right now woth your norton AV being down.

Can you go to web sites, you just cant clikc on a link?

Go to http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/ and get AVG antivirus. Install, update. and scan your computer.

Also, do you have any antispyware/adware? If not GET IT and run it...OFTEN!

something causing you "links" not to work may be virus or spyware. RGet the programs, run the scans, and do some online scans.

BF

Okay so I download and ran AVG antivirus last night. It found a trojan. The file was olehelp.exe. I thought it was working because I went to my homepage, MSN and clicked on an ad link and it opened a new window and went to the website. However, this morning it is not working again. I went to MSN homepage and clicked on the same ad link and it opens a window but then nothing appears. I ran another scan and it found nothing. I don't understand what's happening. HELP!

Jen

Hi Jen, that olehelp.exe is a part of the CoolWebSearch Hijackers, parasites, spyware :filtered: group. :nospys: Go to http://radiosplace.com/ and download CWShredder.

Boot yourself into Safe Mode (As the computer is rebooting, tap on the F8 key repeatedly. This will bring up a Boot Menu with several options. Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and then hit the enter key.)

Once in Safe Mode, run CWShredder.

Then right click your Start button and choose Explore. The following Folder Contents, but not the Folder itself, need to be deleted while in safe mode. Open each of these Folders, then click Edit (at the top), choose Select All, then Delete the highlighted entries.

C:\Windows\Temp\

C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\

Reboot normally and run CWShredder again as well as your other scanners. :)Y

edit: Some info about the pest. :nospys:Adware.Olehelp

Let's put a couple more weapons in your attack.

Download, install and then update Adaware SE don't run it just yet. Reconfigure Ad-Aware SE for Full Scan:

Before running Adaware, put these tweaks in place:

Launch the program, and click on the Gear at the top of the start screen.

Click the "Scan Now" button.

Put a dot next to: Use custom scanning options, then click Customize

Under Drives, Folders and Files, select "Scan within Archives".

Click "Click here to select Drives + folders" and select your installed hard drives.

Under Memory & Registry, select all options.

Click the "Advanced" button.

Under "Log-file detail level", select all options.

Click the "Tweaks" button.

Under "Scanning Engine", select the following:

"Unload recognized processes during scanning."

Under "Cleaning Engine", select the following:

"Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."

Click on 'Proceed' to save these Preferences.

When the results window appears, place your curser anywhere within the window, Right Click and then choose "Select All". Click the 'Next' button to continue the cleaning.

Download, install and then update: Spybot Search and Destroy

Run the full scan and remove all items found in RED

Let us know what has been uncovered and if things have improved. Thanks. :)Y

well to say the least use win 9x or win 2k that would be your best bet. ME is like the catwoman of games. Should have not even been made.

Well the good news is it did find quite a bit. The bad news is it didn't help my problem. Is it at all possible that I have something not set right in my internet options? Thanks Jen

Is it at all possible that I have something not set right in my internet options?

Since you flushed a lot of pests out of there, it won't hurt to reset it. Open Internet Explorer, then go to the 'Tools' button up at the top, then click on 'Reset Web Settings'.

With the multiple browser hijacking pests :nospys: that are roaming the web, I suspect malware. Would you be able to post a Pit test? That may reveal a bit more as to what is behind your trouble. Here's how:

How to Post a Pit test

:)Y

Jen, just had time for a quick look before work, but you need to reset your cache for Temporary Internet files. Go to Internet Options, on the General tab, click on Settings. Change the value to 75 - 80 MB. Click OK, then Apply, then OK.

I'll check back on ya soon. :)Y

Hi Jen, you can give the IEFix Utility a try: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/iefix.htm

This runs a repair on IE and reregisters the necessary .dll files.

If that doesn't fix it, download HijackThis from http://radiosplace.com save it to a file of it's own, run the scan and post the log in the HijackThis forum here: http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php?showforum=25

Don't fix anything until one of the HijackThis Advisors has directed you to do so. OK. :)Y

Okay sorry but I can't get iefix to run. It gives me an error "runtime error 429 activex component can't create object". Should I just try downloading HiJackThis? By the way I really appreciate all your help. Thanks Jen

Okay the iefix ran; but didn't fix the problem.  Run hijackthis? Jen

Go for it, kiddo. :tup:

Start a topic in the HijackThis forums here: http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php?showforum=25 and copy/paste your HijackThis scan log file there.

Sorry we didn't get this thing whipped here, but I admire your patience and determinism. Hopefully, HJT will reveal the culpret(s).

:)Y