Sign in to follow this  
Spy Sweeper

regsvr32----Norton: Manual Removal

Anybody out there Familar with Norton Corporate Edition 2000(for Win98SE),

Norton Rescue & LiveUpdate 2.5 Manual Removal ???

I removed Norton AntiVirus Corporate "Core" through Add/Remove.

LiveUpdate2.5 still needs uninstall.

Norton Rescue, still needs uninstall.

Can't UNREGISTER Norton Rescue so as to manually remove it because The Computer can't find-----regsvr32----- which it needs to do so. (May have been tossed with "Core" Program).

Can't uninstall LiveUpdate2.5 through Add/Remove cause of this warning " We still show other applications registered with LiveUpdate, first Remove the "other" Apps. before removing LiveUpdate"

Can anybody Help ???

Thanks a bundle. :unsure:

Hi Spy Sweeper!

Norton can quite frankly, be a pain. Do you still have the original installation cd/files? If so, I recommend you re-install it, then use the uninstaller provided with Norton to uninstall, rather than Add/Remove. Then see if you can uninstall Norton Rescue, then Live Update. If all of the above fails, you can try the brute force method I have used for Norton many times.

First, download RegSeeker and extract to it's own folder. Reboot to safe mode, search for and delete all Norton and Symantec folders. Open RegSeeker and click 'Clean Registry'. When the scan is complete, verify the 'backup' box in the lower left corner is checked and click 'Select All', then select all again. Right click within the results and 'delete selected items'. Now repeat. Do this as many times as it takes to get a clean scan. Reboot back into Windows and do another clean registry. Norton should be gone. If it still shows in Add/Remove, select to remove. You should get a message that the files are missing and allowed to remove it from the list.

Let us know how it goes. ;)

:beer: Thanks for the Information.

This 3-yr old Pc is 'new' to me, had it only 2-months.

NO Norton Disks.

"In its own Folder"---- in Program Files ?

"Search for & Delete all Norton & Symantec Folders"---Using Start>Find>Files & Folders ???

RegSeeker: Am I Therefore Cleaning-out the "Entire" Registry or just the Norton/Symantec ???

The Registry certainly NEEDS to be cleaned. Although, being a newbee, I ran CCleaner(Issues Tab)--Selected Fix All, in Safe Mode.

When I rebooted, received a Screen, said something like: "You have restored a Good Registry" press Enter to Re-Start. So I haven't TOUCHED the Registry since.

Thanks for the Help, & more Help is certainly appreciated :beer:

B) UPDATE.

Reboot to safe mode, search for and delete all Norton and Symantec folders.

I basically no what you mean, but to be on the safe side, I'll ask: You must mean "All Files" also.

There are 3 Files in Program Files: 1} NNorton AntiVirus w/ subs, Quarantine & Task 2} NNorton Rescue 3} Symantec w/subs, LiveUpdate & Norton Ghost 2003

1 File in Program Files/Common Files: Symantec Shared w/subs 1}Help, 2} LiveAdvisor, 3} VirusDefs

I deleted a couple of Folders, haven't yet deleted the "Files" listed above, then ran RegSeeker until clean.

Rebooted, ran 1 more RegSeeker.

I'm really surprised, the Computer Runs Fine. CCleaner must not be as 'Advanced' as RegSeeker.

Thanks again for the assistance :nospys:

Yes, all files will be included, since when you delete the uppermost folder, all files and sub-folders within it will be deleted also. ;)

I've found RegSeeker to be a very good app. I have and do use it in the same way I described on my own computers as well as client's, and have made the same recommendation to many many users with only one occasion of something not working properly afterward. That was on an ME machine and was also a known issue. Check out some of the other features also, eg; options on the Histories menu and Tweaks. Do be careful while familiarizing though. RegSeeker is also very powerful, and removing the wrong thing could be fatal! :yikes:

There sure was alot of cleaning done, 900+ first scan, 180+ second scan, 6-third scan. 4-cleaned when restarted.

When I return now to Safe Mode to Delete NNorton AntiVirus, NNorton Rescue, & Symantec will deleting "Symantec Shared" cause trouble being its a "Shared" File ( Shared w/ other Programs ?)

Thanks

I've never known anyone to encounter problems by doing so. Don't empty the recycle bin until you're sure everything is OK. ;)

You will probably find more things cleaning again after deleting those folders and rebooting back into windows too. :rolleyes:

:beer: I sure appreciate all this Personal Help, Theres got to be something I can do in return.

I really enjoy this 'Computering', is there some kind of Help I can provide for You &/or This Website via the Computer ?

Heck, this is alot of Free information. Makes me feel a little guilty.

I hold off on the Recycle Bin Dump for few days to make sure.

Thanks

:beer: I sure appreciate all this Personal Help, Theres got to be something I can do in return.

I really enjoy this 'Computering', is there some kind of Help I can provide for You &/or This Website via the Computer ?

Heck, this is alot of Free information. Makes me feel a little guilty.

I hold off on the Recycle Bin Dump for few days to make sure.

Thanks

http://pcpitstop.com/about/supportus.asp :mrgreen:

Spy Sweeper, I just looked at your test express link....click on the red flag and follow the recommendations:

TIP > Adjust file cache

This system may encounter a Windows bug that causes incorrect "Not enough memory available to run this program" messages to appear, even though it has 1024MB of memory installed. To solve this problem, look for the following line in your SYSTEM.INI file:

Then click on the yellow flag and follow the reccomendations.

A Donation it will be.

Also, my Zone Alarm causes little problems with my Internet Sotware, plus its a bit of a resource hog. Though Performance Wise, it's Stellar

Hows EZ Armor Perform ?

Thanks

I was very surprised to see you state that ZA is a resource hog. I've never experienced that. :mrsgreen: What kind of problems does it create for you?

EZ Armor is Great, IMO. You won't find much difference in the firewall though. It uses a Computer Associates branded Zone Alarm. The antivirus is very good and lightweight. I won't be without it on one of my machines! ;)

I think Rnaapp, which my Verizon Access Manager uses, & Zone Alarm are not exactly compatible. When I go to sign off, sometimes Rnaapp wont disconnect, thus in about the same time frame I'll get a Zone Alarm Error.

I dont start ZA at Startup. When I open ZA my resources will go from 85% to 70% is that a lot ?

Plus i dont feel that AVG is a good enough AV, so I'll have to check out some AVs'.

Thanks for the Help.

I would expect that kind of a drop when first starting ZA, but not for it to continue using it. Mine runs basically as a background task, using zero to 1% cpu unless changing a web page, refreshing, etc., but even then only spiking to 2 or 3%. In terms of memory usage, my highest right now is iexplore.exe, which has been open for about 6 hrs and is at 28,216k. ZA is at 6516k and has been running since I started my computer yesterday, about 20 hours ago.

What version ZA are you using? Do you remember the exact error you get?