Sign in to follow this  
mcpowhite

Optimize

Purchased optimize and it has done nothing to improve my system operation. It did make adjustments to my internet that degraded it by about 25%. I consider my purchase of Optimize as payment for my many years of utilizing pitstop.Cannot recommend this product, based on my results.

Guest jman037

Hello there!

I was a broadband Internet install technician and now work in a call center for broadband Internet as a senior technician. Back when PCPitstop had thier Internet speed autofix for free on their website, I would always run customers there to improve thier speed.

For Windows versions 95, 98 and ME, in 99.9% of the cases it increased their speed up to 3 times the previous amount. I have seen 1.5Mb/s connections hit almost 4Mb/s on a retest of download speeds after running the autofix.

Speed increases on Windows 2000 and XP were not so dramatic but were still large enough you could plainly see it.

.1% of the people I ran through that fix acutally saw their speed drop. As of yet, I have no explaination for this.

I haven't seen the other tools in the optimize package so I cannot comment on them. I do think $29.99 is pretty expensive for this package. I'd like to know what the other tools do and if they actually make enough of an impact on system performance to warrant the price of admission.

Well, I guess whether they are worth the price of admission depends on how comfortable you are with doing manual adjustments. The target audience for the product is the user that wants increased PC performance without having to become tech-savvy to do it. Many users are not comfortable with registry edits, for instance.

Anyway, here's what it does:

http://pcpitstop.com/faq/optimize.asp

Guest jman037

I'm tech sazzy, but I'm also lazy (blush). Sometimes I don't have the time to setup a computer through painstaking hours to get everything tweaked just right. That's why the optimizer interested me in the first place. I KNOW the Internet speed option works wonders. I just didn't know about the rest.

It does many of the manual tweaks I use to set up a new build, like the Paging Executive, Large Cache, etc, and I can also see the advantage to running one cleaning program instead of the two or three I use now. For older PC's that have been running for a while without a lot of maintenence there will obviously be a bigger performance boost than on a newer install that's just getting some nice tweaks. :)

Hi,

I too have just purchased this product and I still get Internet connection too slow.My Bandwidth down was 317 prior to purchase now its gone down to 276.Anyone got any ideas as I have just wasted my money.

Well, if it doesn't perform as advertised, you money's not lost..

http://pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

Sorry it didn't work for you.

Can you post a test so we can take a look at the results? We might still be able to help. The yellow Tech Express Help logo in the upper right will walk you through the process, if needed.

wilfy4

Except for the obvious, your test results look good. I noticed that the receive window is set at 255552, which is quite large for your ping time. By any chance, do you recall what size it was before running the Optimize program? And how many Kbits/sec is your ISP promoting?

Thanks.

Hi Intelguy,

No idea what receive window means and so I have no idea on the prior optimizing.

As for kbits/sec I dont know that either.I would not know how to find out what my ISP is promoting.

thx anyways

Is your internet service one of the ones on this page??

http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/internet/internet.htm

If so, you may want to give their customer service a call and see what they have to say.

If you're paying for a 1MB (or greater) connection and only getting in the 300's, I would hope that they would be willing to take a look.

Hi Intelguy,

I have telewest cable 1mb.

I rang their support line this morning and told him about the speeds I was getting and he said that about 300 was normal.

He checked it thru zdnet and other checks such as ipconfig etc.

I was wondering if I am limited to a certain amount of usage per month because it certainly seems slower than at any other time in the past.

So from what youre saying their is definately something amiss.

He said that speeds dont get anywhere near 1mb even though I have a 1mb connection.

Maybe its time for a change and would welcome any other comments you can make on the subject.

Thanks

Hi wilfy4, the telewest guy is way off base :woot: a 1mb connection here in the UK you should be getting about 800 kbits down and 247 kbits up. For what you are paying telewest, tell them if they cant guarantee you at least that change providers.

Hi Dark Destroyer,

Thanks for your comments.The only thing that concerns me is if I change I dont want to change to a capped provider.

I just dont know if telewest are being evasive on cable difficulties.

Do you know of any providers that do not cap their service as I am on the internet all day.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I'm with DD on this one. If it's a 1MB connection you should be seeing about 800Kbits download.

You still may want to attempt to manually change your Receive Window. Changing to the appropriate value literally doubled my speed. Have you tried running the Optimize program a second time? Just a thought.

Here's a script that will (should) change the value from 255552 to 64240. With your ping time, I would even suggest downloading the script to the desktop and editing the value to 32120, just to see if there is improvement. To edit the file, right click and select "edit". Then change the first dword value from "faf0" to "7d78", then click "file" and "save".

http://www.askmarvin.ca/os/winxp.htm

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi guys,

Update on this speed issue.

Talked with tech support again and had me download something from microsoft website to then tell him what my download speed was which was 124KB.

He told me speed was fine because you times the big "K" by 8 to get the equivalent in bits. ( you are following aren't you )

So the gist of this is he says everything is fine.

Would appreciats any comments on this subject to help ease my worn out head :blushing:

yeh, that's right. There is 8bits to the Byte.

So if your conenction is 1Mb - that's one mega bit (~ 1000Kb), which you simply divide 1000 by 8 to get your download speed in bytes - 125K. So when you are downloading a file, it should download at around 125KB/s.

hope that makes sense? ;)

I don't use the Pitstop Optimizer but I have found and use a good internet optimining program. I found it at SpeedGuide.net. Its under Broadband/Broadband tools. This may do the same thing as the Pitstop optimizer(don't know) but it worked very well for me.

I purchased PCOptimize for my PC (IBM 2000ghz processor, 80gbyte mem, 1gbyte Ram, windows XP SP2). It failed to work properly and I contacted your support group who also failed to get it to work. My money was refunded but, I would really like to know why it will not operate on my system. After many Emails back and forth between me and your support group, they quit replying and have given up. Is my system the only one that doesn't work with PCOptimize?

Guest snoopy6275

I also purchased the Optimizer and it didn't work for me either. Something that I noticed while running it, at the internet optimize screen it says the optimum TCP rwin is 255552. It changed my TCP from 32120 to 255552. I changed it back and everything is working good again. There seems to be a problem in the program on that screen. I have a P4 3.2GHz, 200Gb HDD, 2048Mb PC2700 RAM, Win XP sp2. Just an observation.

I don't understand this speed thing anyway. I have a 10.0 Mbps connection but the speed is determined by what day, time, and location that you are testing to.

Sat. 995 down

995+ up

Today

671 down

800 up

these test was with a server 2.5 hours away

now 498 down

1010 up

Pcpitstops test was 471 down

A test with the server from above now. I'm on East Coast. Test to West coast

291 down

951 up

How can you optimize something that's changes all the time. Meaning internet traffic.

One more thing is how good is the product as a registry cleaner. I get my registry cleaned but because my connection was not optimized I get my money back. Come on guys. :beer: