Sign in to follow this  
PrjktCrx

:: Windows Xp Setup :: Unable To Delete Partition

Im trying to format my hardrive and do a fresh install... Its a Windows XP Professional disk... I restart the computer and follow the instructions through the setup... You kno the blue screen where you can repair, clean install, and that stuff... When i get to part where it shows me my partitions i have 2 listings...

1 :: C: Drive

2 :: Unpartitioned Space

I press "D" to delete num 1... But it says that it cant because some files needed for setup are on that drive... Or something along those lines... And num 2 is just a small portion... Not large enough put the OS on... Whats wrong with it?

Actully i searched and i found your same post to some other guy when you told him to look at tha same site... I checked it out and tried it but after the step where it shows you how to delete the partition thats exactly where i am get the error...

Are you opening your disk, choosing what you want to do and then rebooting? If you are and if I am remembering correctly, it is writing files to the disk before it shuts down and those are the files it is talking about. Try just inserting the disk and then shutting down and installing from boot, do not choose to install and then reboot. Hope that makes sense to you.

Actully i searched and i found your same post to some other guy when you told him to look at tha same site... I checked it out and tried it but after the step where it shows you how to delete the partition thats exactly where i am get the error...

Is this the screen you are seeing:

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Inst...s/image1_5.html

Hawk :beer:

Here are a few more items you can look at starting from the Welcome to Setup Screen:

At the Welcome to Setup page, press ENTER.

4. Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.

5. If an existing Windows XP installation is detected, you are prompted to repair it. To bypass the repair, press ESC.

6. All the existing partitions and the unpartitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard disk. Use the ARROW keys to select the partition or the unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition. Press D to delete an existing partition, or press C to create a new partition by using unpartitioned space. If you press D to delete an existing partition, you must then press L (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this step for each of the existing partitions that you want to use for the new partition. When all the partitions are deleted, select the remaining unpartitioned space, and then press C to create the new partition.

Note If you want to create a partition where one or more partitions already exist, you must first delete the existing partition or partitions, and then create the new partition.

7. Type the size in megabytes (MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press ENTER, or just press ENTER to create the partition with the maximum size.

8. Repeat Steps 4 and 5 to create additional partitions if you want them.

9. If you want to install Windows XP, use the ARROW keys to select the partition where you want to install Windows XP, and then press ENTER. If you do not want to format the partition and install Windows XP, press F3 two times to quit the Windows Setup program, and then do not follow the remaining steps. In this case, you must use a different utility to format the partition.

10. Select the format option that you want to use for the partition, and then press ENTER. You have the following options: • Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)

• Format the partition by using the FAT file system (Quick)

• Format the partition by using the NTFS file system

• Format the partition by using the FAT file system

• Leave the current file system intact (no changes)

The option to leave the current file system intact is not available if the selected partition is a new partition. The FAT file system option is not available if the selected partition is more than 32 gigabytes (GB). If the partition is larger than 2 GB, the Windows Setup program uses the FAT32 file system (you must press ENTER to confirm). If the partition is smaller than 2 GB, the Windows Setup program uses the FAT16 file system.

Note If you deleted and created a new System partition, but you are installing Windows XP on a different partition, you will be prompted to select a file system for both the System and startup partitions.

11. After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue.

Hey Hawk... Thanks for the information... I still didnt get it to work... It gets to step 6 where it lists all the partitions... This is where im having the problem... I press "D" to delete the only partition i have on there... Then it goes to another screen saying that Windows is unable to delete this partion because it has files needed to complete setup... Something like that... Is there a program i can download to wipe the hardrive and install a fresh OS without all these problems...

PrjktCrx, you never responded to my question. Are you trying to reformat by opening your setup disk, choosing a fresh install and allowing it to reboot your computer for you? Or are you booting directly from the disk and then choosing to reformat?

I ask this because I had the same problem some months ago. I would insert my windows disk, on the splash screen I would choose to install windows and then reformat. The disk would write files to the hard-drive and then reboot to do the reformat. These files are what are stopping you from deleting the partition. Every time I tried to do a reformat it came up with that error you are listing.

I finally got it to delete the partition by putting the disk in the computer and choosing nothing off of the splash screen. I rebooted the computer and allowed the windows disk to boot the computer and then followed the prompts to choose a reformat and delete the partition and it worked.

Hey Hawk... Thanks for the information... I still didnt get it to work... It gets to step 6 where it lists all the partitions... This is where im having the problem... I press "D" to delete the only partition i have on there... Then it goes to another screen saying that Windows is unable to delete this partion because it has files needed to complete setup... Something like that... Is there a program i can download to wipe the hardrive and install a fresh OS without all these problems...

I think you should see two partitions, one that's almost your entire drive and another partition usually around 8 gig (or mb's, can't remember) ...that one you can't delete and windows won't let you cuz it has the start up files on it. How big is the drive?

Ronbo, Thanks, Thats exactly whats happening... I think your right im going to try that now... I was selecting Install off of the splash screen...

And Joe there are actually 2 listings... The one with the full C: Drive... And the one with like 8MB Unpartitioned... But im only having the problem with the C: Drive... I wont let me delete the C: Drive...

Going to try again... Thanks Ronbo...

I think you should see two partitions, one that's almost your entire drive and another partition usually around 8 gig (or mb's, can't remember) ...that one you can't delete and windows won't let you cuz it has the start up files on it. How big is the drive?

You are correct Joe. That should be what is showing.

EDIT:

Have a look at this link & see if it is any help:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html

Edited by Hawk

Thanks Hawk for your support... Tha link gave me an idea to try... Im going to try the repair path and format from the command prompt...

One other question... Now WITHOUT the Setup CD in the CDROM drive at all, at startup it still gives me the option to Choose Windows XP Professional... Or Windows XP Professional SETUP... How do i get Windows to start up normally again without having to choose... Because if this next try doesnt work i want to get the startup straightened out and try what ronbo said...

Thanks Hawk for your support... Tha link gave me an idea to try... Im going to try the repair path and format from the command prompt...

Worth a try, I guess. :huh:

Is it just a flash screen that comes up for a sec when you boot up ? I get the same thing with mine & unless I want to change anything, I just let it go into Windows.

The usual way to do a repair is with the installation CD & have you puter set to boot from CD.

When you put the CD in, reboot & you should see a message that only last for a few seconds that says to the effect "Press any key to boot from CD".

That should give you the option to repair or format. However, if you have already booted from the CD, Ronbo may be correct as it would have written files to the HDD & that may be what is stopping you.

I think I would give Ronbos' idea a try. ;)

Let us know please.

Im trying to format my hardrive and do a fresh install... Its a Windows XP Professional disk... I restart the computer and follow the instructions through the setup... You kno the blue screen where you can repair, clean install, and that stuff... When i get to part where it shows me my partitions i have 2 listings...

1 :: C: Drive

2 :: Unpartitioned Space

I press "D" to delete num 1... But it says that it cant because some files needed for setup are on that drive... Or something along those lines... And num 2 is just a small portion... Not large enough put the OS on... Whats wrong with it?

I ran into this same problem and i realized that eventhought i thought i was booting from the disk, i was not!

FIX: go into your bios and make sure your cd drive is at the top of your boot list! once this is done you will be able to boot from disk and delete the partition!

I spent hours trying to figure this out because i thought i was booting from cd! once i went into my bios and put my cd drive on top of the boot list i was able to reformat and delete the partition!!

hope this helps!!!!!

-Ross

I ran into this same problem and i realized that eventhought i thought i was booting from the disk, i was not!

FIX: go into your bios and make sure your cd drive is at the top of your boot list! once this is done you will be able to boot from disk and delete the partition!

I spent hours trying to figure this out because i thought i was booting from cd! once i went into my bios and put my cd drive on top of the boot list i was able to reformat and delete the partition!!

hope this helps!!!!!

-Ross

Do you have 2 CD/dvd drives?

I had the same problem, like ross said, ithought i was booting from disk but wasn't. I was confused when reading people talking about "f8 to accept eula" when booting from cd because even though it said "press any key to boot from cd" and i did, it just kept loading windows. there never was a eula page that required f8

It took me two days to figure out that it was searching the wrong disk drive for my cd. I put the windowsxp cd into my second drive and it took me to setup, eula agreement, etc. and let me reformat.

hope this helps anyone looking for info. I know im 3 years too late for the OP, but i couldnt find the solution anywhere online. so maybe this will help someone else looking for help.

Edited by CoupDgrace