Sign in to follow this  
moyeraj

Program "hangs" While Scanning Registry For Progr

I just purchased PC Pitstop Optimize but I can't get tihe program to complete, it hangs while it is scanning the Registry for ProgIDs.

Any suggestions, help?

Thanks

Well, that's a new one. How long do you wait before you decide it is hung up? What speed of system is this and how much memory does it have? Can you post a link to your test results?

In the Optimize directory (usually c:\Program Files\PCPitstop\Optimize) you should see a file named optimize_log.txt. Is there any text in that file? Since the program was killed I'm worried that it may not have written anything yet.

My PC is an IBM running a Pentium 4, 2 gb processor with 1 g of Ram. I went to the log file you indicated and indeed there was a log of events. What prompted me to stop the "Optimize" program was that the Windows Task Manager indicated that "Optimize" had appropriated 100% of the processor and when I tried to stop it, the TM said that the application was " not responding". I had given the program more than 5 minutes, it is possible that I didn't wait long enough.

Well, I've never seen it take more than a minute or so, five minutes is a long time so I'd say you were plenty patient. How big is the log file? Can you post the last few lines of it?

Here are the last few lines of that "Optimize_log.txt" file, I forgot to mention that my memory size was 73gb.

TcpMaxDupAcks='2'

~ INet RegKey Cmd 1, 80000002\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters Tcp1323Opts='1'

~ INet RegKey Cmd 1, 80000002\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters SackOpts='1'

~ INet RegKey Cmd 1, 80000001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings MaxConnectionsPerServer='10'

~ INet RegKey Cmd 1, 80000001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server='20'

====== Done ======

====== PC Pitstop Optimize 1.0.0.7 ======

Started: Thu Jan 06 08:03:10 2005

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2; 1023MB RAM

====== Done ======

I forgot to mention that my memory size was 73gb

I don't quite understand that one. Did you meant to say the size of the file? Is it 73MB? If so that tells me that there must be a huge amount of junk files or registry problems.

Sorry about that. What I intended to say was that my system memory size is 73gb. I checked the "Optimized file" this morning again and its size is 416kb. This is what the last few lines look like this morning after trying again to "scan for ProgIDs.Files\Content.IE5\O1IV0TQ7' ALL

* Searching path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Alfred Moyer\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ODA38TYJ' ALL

* Searching path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Alfred Moyer\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\WX6J4HQN' ALL

* Searching path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Alfred Moyer\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\X49D5HR2' ALL

~ INet RegKey Cmd 1, 80000002\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces MTU='1492'

~ INet RegKey Cmd 1, 80000002\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters TcpWindowSize='255552'

~ INet RegKey Cmd 1, 80000002\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters DefaultTTL='64'

~ INet RegKey Cmd 1, 80000002\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters EnablePMTUBHDiscovery='1'

~ INet RegKey Cmd 1, 80000002\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters EnablePMTUBHDetect='0'

~ INet RegKey Cmd 1, 80000002\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters TcpMaxDupAcks='2'

~ INet RegKey Cmd 1, 80000002\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters Tcp1323Opts='1'

~ INet RegKey Cmd 1, 80000002\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters SackOpts='1'

~ INet RegKey Cmd 1, 80000001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings MaxConnectionsPerServer='10'

~ INet RegKey Cmd 1, 80000001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server='20'

* Invalid ProgID: SubKey Scansrv.Application, Name {}

====== Done ======

Hope this offeres a clue. So far I have been unable to use the Optimize software.

Thanks for your support

Hi Alfred, I replied to your email on 1/13 after you sent in the log file. It looked like you had an enormous amount of junk files and I asked if you could delete those manually to see if they were the cause of the hangup.

I'm going to send you another email and let's see if that one gets through.

Guest shara

we are having problems with people getting our personal information while using hotmail.com i want to know if this product will keep third parties from retrieving our information and if they do can you track them down and retrieve before they get into our banks,credit info,soc. sec. #s,etc. :pullhair::pullhair:

No, Optimize is not the appropriate product for that. Optimize is a performance product.

You may want to register to the forums and ask for suggestions in the User to User Help form.