Sign in to follow this  
seanyg

Lost Help And Support Service

I assume you are running XP, so....(I think it,s the same for Win2K and ME as well...)

Start>Run, type services.msc, hit enter. In the window that comes up, scroll down to Help and support, and make sure it is either set to Manual or Automatic. If not, right click the line, select properties, and set it in the drop down thingy.

Come back if this doesn't work.

Scorp.

try merging the following ".reg" file into your registry...heres how:

with your mouse, press and hold the right mouse button and drag it over everything between the dotted lines below (do not include the dotted lines and be sure that everything between the dotted is highlighted). then release the right mouse button. when you release it a menu will appear, choose "copy" from that menu.

next open notepad and right click inside the blank notepad page. another menu will appear when you right click....choose "paste" from the menu.

now in notepads toolbar click file > save as. name the file: "fixhelpandsupport.reg" (no quotation marks) and remember where it gets saved to.

next find where you saved that file and double click on it to "merge" it into the registry. when you double click a reg file, a box will pop up asking if you want to add the file to your registry....answer "yes" or "o.k." and reboot.

hope it works for 'ya.

...............................................................................................................................................................................

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Restore Help Center & Help and Support APP use in Windows 2k/XP

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9E00-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\0\win32]

@="C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe\1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9E00-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\HELPDIR]

@="C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9000-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\0\win32]

@="C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe\2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9000-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\HELPDIR]

@="C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe\"

..................................................................................................................

Edited by JackeL

thanks but it didnt work still the same error message i need to get help and support service running again somehow

p.s also tried sfc

thanks for helping anyhow