Sign in to follow this  
Drovers Dog

What Country Do You Come From?

Just so ya know, Greenland is the largest Island in the world, Australia is not an island, there's also a pretty big difference in size between the US and Australia, about 1.6 million km.

I do not want to start anything but technically Australia is an island as well as a continent. It is like saying a car engine is an engine as well as a motor. :)

I do not want to start anything but technically Australia is an island as well as a continent.  It is like saying a car engine is an engine as well as a motor. :)

An island is a land mass surrounded by water that specificly ISN'T a continent.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book...=island&x=0&y=0

Otherwise all the land on earth would be considered "islands," and there would be no need for the term "continent."

Edited by Z10N

An island is a land mass surrounded by water ther specificly ISN'T a continent.

North America's a continent, and it's surrounded by water, so I suppose it's really an island too... :blink:

Awfully big island... :P -kd5-

:huh: Now that was a bit confusing ...... :P:lol:

Not really, there's seven continents, all other land (not a part of one of these continents) is an island.

Guest Donna

Australia, the "Land Down Under," include six states, two mainland territories and a few island territories. It's a fascinating land with many geographical definitions.

It's the 6th largest country and that's a fact. But then, depending on your school of geography, Australia is either a separate continent (that's not considered an island), or it's the largest island on the planet and the largest part of the smallest continent, that of course being Oceania.

Confused? Well welcome to the world of geography opinions.

Australia, the "Land Down Under," include six states, two mainland territories and a few island territories. It's a fascinating land with many geographical definitions.

It's the 6th largest country and that's a fact. But then, depending on your school of geography, Australia is either a separate continent (that's not considered an island), or it's the largest island on the planet and the largest part of the smallest continent, that of course being Oceania.

Confused? Well welcome to the world of geography opinions.

Where are you getting this info, because it's grossly incorrect, look in any dictionary, then argue with that.

LOL No Hammer I only pass thru Alabama to get somewhere else I never visited there but a few times when I was a child. My grandpa was a fiddle player and took me to some fiddle conventions in Alabama somewhere :P

Fragged, my best friend is from where you are.. he is an Oglala Lakota. He grew up on the Pine Ridge Reservation. I personally would like to go up there and go to Sturgis for a bike rally.

As for myself I was born and grew up in a small town outside of Nashville, TN. Pretty good whiskey here if ya like that sort of thing... Jack Daniels distillery isn't too far away. (I hate whiskey lol ) And you can get some pretty powerful clear stuff here in a gallon milk jug guaranteed to make ya hallucinate :lol: It is very beautiful here, lots of rural countryside and rolling hills. Still has an original old courthouse in the middle of the square. Old men still play checkers in the shade out on the lawn in front of it. Lots of good fishing and hunting here. Its really a little paradise if you like the quiet life. Wonderful place to raise kids and settle down but boring at times if you are single :P We still have a drive-in which plays double features all summer long. Historical little town, lots of civil war things found here and alot of Native American things as well. Several country music stars live here because of it being close to Nashville. You can still walk safely here any time of the day or nite on the streets to town and back. Fairly low crime rates but industry has really dried up here in the past few years. You have to drive about an hour to make any decent money. I love nature and the country so no matter where I end up this will always be home. Just another tiny town where people know more about your business than you do yourself. :lol: It is truly lovely here though. I've finally found a decent deal on a digital camera.. pics coming soon :mrwinky:

Guest Donna

Where are you getting this info, because it's grossly incorrect, look in any dictionary, then argue with that.

Confused? Well welcome to the world of geography opinions

Opinion being the key word!! ;)

grossly incorrect

Yeah that would pretty much describe about everything you post...so what?? your still here...

Same here. :lol:

And yes Tracylynn the pics in the other thread are from either Destin or Gulf Shores. I can't believe you live in TN and you have never hit the Redneck Riviera before. Sand like sugar and emerald green water.... oh and beer :P:lol:

Don't plan on going back to Gulf Shores for awhile. ivan messed up that place pretty bad. :mrsgreen:

Because of course a dictionary knows better then geologists who have been debating this for many years. :rolleyes: I will concede that Australia is an island continent.

I was born in England, live in the USA, but am from India, specifical Punjab, India. My parents were born in Africa (tons of indians over there, with my Dad from Kenya, and my mom from Uganda), but both got married in England.

Something about England... They have good fish and chips there!

I was born in England, live in the USA, but am from India, specifical Punjab, India. My parents were born in Africa (tons of indians over there, with my Dad from Kenya, and my mom from Uganda), but both got married in England.

Something about England... They have good fish and chips there!

If you were born in England, wouldn't that make you English???

If you were born in England, wouldn't that make you English???

:P

Not unless one of the Parents was an English Subject!!

Bit like an American couple Holidaying in another Country and the wife has a baby whilst there. The baby would still be an American!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::rolleyes::lol:

I could see how one would think that way though, brandon. The rules on US soil are that if you are born in the United States then you're automatically an American citizen, no matter what.

Edited by The1PatO

Not unless one of the Parents was an English Subject!!

Bit like an American couple Holidaying in another Country and the wife has a baby whilst there. The baby would still be an American!

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :rolleyes:  :lol:

Can't argue with that.

I just so happen to have multiple ethnic backgrounds: Scottish, Irish, British, English, American (duh), and African, since human life started in Africa.

Edited by brandon

I could see how one would think that way though, brandon. The rules on US soil are that if you are born in the United States then you're automatically an American citizen, no matter what.

Whilst that may be true, the Baby would also be a Citizen of the Countries of the Parents!

Which could lead to complications later on!

For an extreme example, lets say the Mother is a Swiss Subject(Citizen), and the Father is a Greek Subject(Citizen), whilst they are Holidaying, the baby is born in the USA.

The Baby is then entitled to triple Citizenship!!

Unfortunately, both the Swiss and Greeks have manditory Armed Forces requirements on their Subjects(Citizens).

So when that baby reached a certain age it would have to serve in BOTH the Swiss and Greek Military!! If in the meantime the Draft was bought in in the USA, once again it will have to serve!!

It can get quite scarey!!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::rolleyes::lol:

If Australia is surrounded on all sides by water, then it is an island.

That is it exacally!!

You could call a dogs tail a leg, but when it comes down to it the dog still only has 4 legs. It is a matter of semantics but still it is an island. It is frivilous to debate this because it is obvious that it is surrounded on all sides by water.

Z10N, if you want to be technical then Oceania is the continent while Australia is an island encompassed in Oceania.

Countries of the Oceania continent are:

Australia

Figi

Kiribati

Marshall Islands

Micronesia

Nauru

New Zealand

Palau

Papua New Guinea

Samoa

Solomon Islands

Tonga

Tuvalu

Vanuatu

So if Australia is not a continent, which we deemed it is not above (it is part of Oceania ;) Then Australia is an island. Therefore Australia would be the largest ISLAND in the world!!!