Sign in to follow this  
dtaverner

Detection/removal Od Spector Pro

HI,

can anyone help me with this? I suspect that Spector pro has been installed on my pc. How do I detect and remoce it. I have´'t been able to find any of the associated dlls witha normal file search, but my weekly spywareinfo scan has told me that it is installed! After I click the remocve it option, the next scan shows it as still present.

Very stealthy!

DT

thanks dabwid :P

Another question, have you ever heard of a program called "NoAdware"?

www.noadware.net/

It purports to provide a reliable scan/removal of malicious programs. I thought Id try it, so I downloaded the free scan program, did the scan and of course it came up with 3 or 3 "dangerous" programs installed, particularly "backdoor.netsnake" apparently a trojan that emails your passwords and urls to an intruder, according to thier definition. Scary stuff

But of course, to remove this program, you have to buy thier product $29.95

I ran hijackthis, but couldf find no reference to this trojan, and no other scanners have picked it up.

What do you think? is this a scam?

I get the feelong that most of the commercial spyware removers are as bad as the stuff they say they are protecting against.

By the way, I checked all the registry entries and dlls listed by "pest scan" for the Spector program, and could find no evidence of it. I therefore must assume that this is another false alarm. Surprised because I considered "Spywareinfo/X-Cleaner" to be a trusted source.

Cheers,

DT

dtaverner,

"NoAdware" has a bad reputation, run a search on Google and make up your own mind.

I am a firm believer that the best anti-spyware programs are free.

I use Ad-aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, IE-Spyad, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.

Here is a link for them.

This link has some excellent info also.

How to stay safe on the internet.

As far as removing NoAdware I am looking into that now.

dabwid

thanks Dabwid,

I really liked the bleeping Computer site. What a great list of tools. Also very useful was the spyware warriors list. :beer:

BTW, they say (spywarewarriors) that Noadware has cleaned up its act and is now not on the blacklist. It seemed to un-install correctly for me.