Sign in to follow this  
BigDog21

Cable Modem

Hi,

I'm finally upgrading from a 56k modem to a cable modem today, my question is, I've never used a cable Modem before, will I notice a big difference when connecting, surfing the web, downloading, and playing online games? I know it's faster, but how much of a difference will there be? Is there anything I should know about a Cable modem compared to a 56k modem?

thanks

BigDog

Lets just say that you won't be dissapointed.

With a 56K modem you average around a 35-45kb/s connection.

With Cable you usually get between 1500-3000kb/s

Just a slight difference ya think?

:mrgreen:

Once you Go high speed you never go back.

I just recently changed from dial up to cable. On my new Compaq machine the speed has changed incredibly. It's also great on my old Gateway but not quite as dramatic (quite an improvement just the same). :banana: :welcome:

Edited by lorriehe

everything depends on the package you got from you isp provider. i get over 2megabits on my cable, :) there are times where i can be as slow as dialup but not often. the game part i play them but not online, so i can't tell yea if you would lag. and another thing get a good firewall as your always online, and a good anti virus program. you will enjoy having cable versus dialup any day. :)

Guest thatguy

when i first got cable i could not believe the difference in speed,i had dial up with AOL, once i got cable i no longer needed AOL, and my machine was much happier because of it. the speed has since slowed down because its seems the whole nieghborhood has cable now, but there is no going back to dial up, its the way the internet should have been from day one!

Bill

LOL I agree. I had spent months downloading music on dial-up. That was just an incredible pain. 45 min for a 5Mg file. :(

My first time on Cable I downloaded something like 600 songs in just a few hours. :nuke:

My only complaint........It could be faster. :mrgreen:

Ya on kazaa lite i get 30-100 kbps on a song. and on the internet and downloading real stuff i get 1500-1800 kbps

dowload kazaa lite. www.k-lite.tk any song you could think of is on there. :mrgreen:

Smiles :)

You can probably milk a bit more out of it. Consider downloading and installing Cablenut. As always, create a restore point first. Then install the program. Run the program a bit and look at what it does and get a feel for it. Under options you can select the OS although it should already have that correct. When the program opens it retrieves your current settings by default. Under the File menu you can open a file that will show you the recommended changes CableNut would make. However if you navigate to the location of the CSS file you want on your harddrive using Explorer you can click a CSS file and it will open a new instance of CableNut which you can place side by side for comparison.

OK I need to add this. I just visited the cablenut website and they have added an Ad On Package to the download list. This is a MUST HAVE. One thing it includes is an excellent HTML file that provides instructions and useful tips on how best to use the CableNut program. It also give some updated CSS files.

Have a nice day.

David

Edited by oftentired

Ya on kazaa lite i get 30-100 kbps on a song. and on the internet and downloading real stuff i get 1500-1800 kbps

dowload kazaa lite. www.k-lite.tk any song you could think of is on there. :mrgreen:

Hmmm, do when you guys write such figure listed as "kbps" do you really mean "KB/s"??? cos if so, it makes a HUGE difference. For example, if you're only getting 30-100 kbps downloading songs, you're only getting a data throughput of 3.75 - 12.5 KB/s. However, if you're meaning to write 1500-1800 KB/s rather than kbps, then your internet service bandwidth is 12 - 14.4 Mbps! (as in megabit, not megabyte). You must be paying through the nose for that kind of service as it's at least twice the bandwidth of a T2 line!

kbps and KB/s are very different!

Stasi, I don't know about Lilbill but I'm Saying Kb/s (kilobit) not KiloBaud.

I'm not sure about how fast In bits a baud is, but 8Bit=1Byte , and 1024Byte= 1KB, Right?

My service tests at 2900-3200 Kb/s (KiloBit)

Which is a lot faster than 56.6Kbps (KiloBaud) from dialup

If I had the money i'd run a dual T3 connection. 1 t3=45 Mb/s

typo monster strikes again

Edited by Chaoschannel

Guest thatguy

Speed is addictive, after having it for 3 or 4 months i was like, man i wish this was faster! my next step is a T-1 or better fiber connection, that should keep me happy for a while!

Bill :mrgreen:

I know what you mean. :mrgreen:

On a slightly different subject. I heard that 1 company has started testing an extremely high speed modem. My sources told me during the test they downloaded 60G in under 4sec. :yikes:

I would love to get ahold of one of those. :woot:

Guest thatguy

oh man would that be awesome, i wonder if that actually happen though considering that the current wiring around United States probably couldnt handle that kind of speed, but man, that would be sweet.

Bill

That's the best part. It's satellite uplink :mrgreen:

Only have to worry about if your home wiring can handle it. :mrgreen:

Unfortanately it probably wont be out for a year or two, and then it will probably cost two arms and a leg. :(

Guest thatguy

now thats cool, we already have satelite tv, i wonder if they would work together, more speed is always nice.

Bill

Stasi, I don't know about Lilbill but I'm Saying Kb/s (kilobit) not KiloBaud.

I'm not sure about how fast In bits a baud is, but 8Bit=1Byte , and 1024Byte= 1KB, Right?

KB = Kilobyte. You're right on your unit conversion from bit to byte to KB. Easy way to measure actual data throughput is to just divide your bandwidth in Kilobits per second by 8 to get your KB/s. But my point was aimed more at lilbill's post, cos he brought out the skeptic in me ;)

dsl will be the winning future considering sbc's future purchase of direct tv wich provides directway... sbc also offers 7 mbs internet connection threw phone lines ..so its just the biggining while cable cant keep up with custermer demand and there cable costermers are dropping like flies for direct tv because know one wants to pay 70 bucks a month for snowy pictures...while you get more from direct tv for half the cost of cable with quality picture and sound....but theres 1 problem be sure that the guy installs the dish on correct side of house away from trees...and there will never be any problem.....and its not true that cloudy days causes snowy picture ...its raining like hell right and the pictures nice

Guest CandyAss

LOL I agree. I had spent months downloading music on dial-up. That was just an incredible pain. 45 min for a 5Mg file. :(

My first time on Cable I downloaded something like 600 songs in just a few hours. :nuke:

:oreo: hehe was jus browse'n through....where u d/l yur music from, jus curious lol ÇÃñÐÿÅss

Kazaa Lite.

The only way to Download. Doesn't have any Spyware

AMEN to that.

i used kazaa for over a year and put up with the b/s. got introduced to kazaa lite and ill never go back nor will i ever trade file sharing programs probably. :)

dsl will be the winning future considering sbc's future purchase of direct tv wich provides directway...

direcway bad bad bad.

i feel sorry for anyone that ever gets that. i had it for bout six months. it was well worth all the probs to pay the termination fee and get rid of it.

its not consistent. highly incompatible with windows xp. and not worth the 60 bux a month to have it.

i have high speed cable and it is much more consistent. quite a bit faster. and much more reliable. without the compatiblity problems also. :)

ALSO.. if u get direcway two way satellite connection for internet.. youll enjoy the upload speed of comparable to a phone line connection. trust me.. i had it. IT SUX

Edited by Newdles