Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mmanya

Anyone Heard Of This ?

Just wanted to let everyone know who hasn't already heard, the four

major

credit bureaus in the US will be allowed, starting July 1, to release

your

credit info, mailing addresses, phone numbers, etc., to anyone who

requests

it. If you would like to 'opt out' of this release of your info, you can

call 1-888-567-8688. It only takes a couple of minutes to do.

Once the message starts you'll choose option #2 (even though option #1

refers to this E-mail) and then option #3 - Be sure to listen closely,

the

first option is only for a two-year period. Make sure you wait until they

prompt for the third option, which opts you out forever.

* Sounds like a good thing - what's the downside ???

Wow, Mary, thank you for this info for sure. I'm not liking the sound of that at ALL! Is nothing sacred and is nothing private anymore?

I'm calling that number definately...thanks for the heads up. Maybe we should try and get this stickied.

Is nothing sacred and is nothing private anymore?

Uhhh... No. It isn't. Not for a long time now. There are many new laws that were created recently, such as the Patriot Act, that are supposed to protect us from terrorism, but in reality they are harming us more than they are helping prevent terrorism.

In fact, there is little proof that any of these laws are doing anything to stop terrorism at all. We are losing more and more civil liberties, including privacy, every day. And as if the first Partiot Act wasn't enough of a privacy invasion, now there is another one in the works, appropriately nicknamed "Patriot II".

Those are just two of the new laws that do this. There are numerous others, either already passed into law, or in the works. So if you have anything to hide, you better hide it very well. And I do mean very well... Things like "In God We Trust" being printed on our money, or "Under God" being in the Pledge of Allegiance really are the least of our worries. We so many worse things to worry about.

Someday soon, we won't have anything near privacy. I've been reading up on what groups like the ACLU want to do with our privacy and it makes me mad. How's having cameras in your house watching you sound?

Funny you should mention that... I was just going to post a few things I've put together about Spyware and Privacy. First of all, read this...

Imagine having a camera attached to your body, following every step you take, every scene you see, every contact you make throughout every moment of your day. This camera has a radio transmitter that sends a non-stop movie of your personal life to somebody else that you do not know. This somebody did not introduce himself. Nor did he tell that he planned to install a camera on you, or get your permission to do so. Instead, he installed it swiftly and secretly, with the sole purpose of spying on you. And the camera itself was such a well-disguised device you actually had to hear about it from somebody else to even know that you had it.

After becoming aware of the camera your first impulse is simply to throw it away. But soon you learn that extra measures have been taken to make its removal troublesome or even painful. Now, rightfully ticked off, you demand to know who is responsible and what is his motivation of putting the thing on you. You learn that it has been installed on you by a research corporation that makes its money by selling information about people to other corporations that make their money by selling stuff to these people.

The 'researchers' try to calm you down by explaining that they are really not interested in your personal life - that you are simply anonymous statistic 'profiling material' to them. They even tell you that they protect your personal privacy by not telling your name and home address to anybody. They simply record your moving, eating, drinking, and mating habits to get a good general idea about how a person like you moves, eats, drinks, and so on.

They admit taping your daily life and archiving it for research purposes but they promise not to put your name on your tapes. Instead, they just put your personal code number on them. In principle they could sell your personal archives to somebody paying enough for them but they promise not to.

A nice scene, isn't it?

This is pretty much what has happened in cyberspace with spyware. The spyware on your computer is that camera following your every movement. It sees each web page you see; it knows exactly how many seconds you spend on each page; it records the links you use to jump from page to page. It sees and reports unfailingly (at your expense as well) which books you are glancing over at Amazon or which keywords you are feeding to Google or Altavista. It keeps a record of which files you download and from where.

By allowing spyware to run your computer you are allowing it full access to it. The software has full visibility over what you do with your computer. If it is sophisticated enough, it can follow your every mouse movement and conclude whether you are nervous or relaxed, eager or hesitant etc. before clicking a link. Your current version of spyware may not yet be sophisticated enough to do this but don't worry - having full access to your computer it can update itself anytime without even notifying you.

You don't really know what information is collected and reported back home - nor do you know who lives in that home and how he uses your personal information. The record of your activities in cyberspace is simple merchandise and it belongs to anybody who is willing to pay for it. The spyware running on your computer may not report your passwords or credit card numbers to malicious outsiders (although you only have the spyware guy's word for that!) but no information can be hidden from the software itself. It will record your every keystroke if it wishes to do so.

The spyware guy himself might be well-meaning but did he write his software safe against hacking? Probably not - he was too busy to write a working spyware program. At the hands of a skillful hacker his program can become an unsuspected tracking device compromising all your private information. Anything is possible. And don't be too relaxed about not having your home address transmitted. Who needs your home address when he has a camera on you?

In addition to all this, spyware is also responsible for a noticable decrease in system performance on many systems. Spyware is poorly written with one thought in mind. Tracking what you do. The spyware guy takes no security precautions, and doesn't even care if it crashes your system or not. All he is interested in is rather it will track you when your system is running and you are online. That is reason enough alone to get rid of it.

So my recommendations: Accept no spyware on your machine, use adware if you can live with the ads, have a personal firewall controlling what is being transmitted in and out, have an updated virus scanner to maintain the general hygiene and run a fresh version of Ad-Aware daily just to check that no caca has managed to grab the fan...

Author unknown

Join the Anti-Spyware Brigade and just say no to Spyware!

http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php?s=&act=SF&f=9

Edited for content by Ax Slinger

Then, read these rewritten song lyrics. (Sung to the tune of "From a Distance")

From the Internet the world looks new

And users surf the shining pages of every site

From the Internet the media has a stream

And the news is updated each and every night

From the Internet there is debauchery

And it echoes through the land

It's watching every click

It's watching every download

Behind the ads of every business

From the Internet we all have enough

No one is in need

As there are popups, popunders, and spyware

No need to buy lists anymore

From the Internet we are instruments

Marching in a common band

Playing songs of adware

Playing songs of spyware

They're the songs from every machine

G.O.D. is watching us

G.O.D. is watching us

G.O.D. is watching us

From the Internet

From the Internet they look like our friends

Even though we are at war

From the Internet I just cannot comprehend

What all this snooping is for

From the Internet there is no privacy

Because of the leaders of our land

And it's the eyes of the Gator

It's the cookies of Alexa

In the system of every man

It's the hope of sales

It's the love of money

This is the tool of every E-biz

G.O.D. is watching us

G.O.D. is watching us

G.O.D. is watching us

From the Internet

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? :nospys:

" Unknown Author " huh Ax ? hm ... let me guess ... ah, um, ?

* Saw that at the Webby site - EXCELLENT post ( accolades to the author ! )

:beer: :oreo:

* 'ya need more smilies - cookies & beer just don't make it !!! *S*

Busted! :P

But I can't take credit for writing that. Only posting it.

And I had a Pizza smilie, but somebody ate it.

Star, you've hit the nail on the head...it scares me some of the things that are trying to be pushed through.

Anyone hear of the little chips they want imbedded into your body? It'll act like a drivers license and id, but as an added bonus, it has gps to know exactly where you are. It wouldn't surprise me if they would equip them with something that could kill you as well. Freaky stuff mates.

I figured YOU wrote it Ax ! Someone should get / take the credit.

* hey they have been putting those chips in animals for years.

I read that the information would be medical related so if you are unable to speak, I hospital can scan you for history / allergy. Don't know if they add the please return to owner info. or not *S*

hm ... the human "lo-jack" ... would make an interesting movie script ...

I read that the information would be medical related so if you are unable to speak, I hospital can scan you for history / allergy. Don't know if they add the please return to owner info. or not

:angry::angry::angry:

Yeah - just like they are taking over your bank account and house deeds - in case you cannot talk. Go tell it to the marines and see what they tell ya!

Big brother is getting even bigger! :angry::angry::angry:

I know they've been using them in animals. We're the next step (seriously).

Thanks hftmrock.

* I didn't think that it was an email was very important. I wanted to know if anyone had heard of it and what was the downside ...

sorry if it caused any confusion / problem.