Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willow1

In God We Trust

I believe that is implied. To say that one is under someone or something posits that that someone or thing exists. I suppose you could amend it to say "Under a non existent God" but then what would be the purpose?

I pledge allegiance to the Flag

Of the United States of America

And to the Republic for which It stands

One Nation, Under God

Indivisible

With Liberty and Justice fer all

I never heard of anyone being forced to recite the pledge. Are people offended just by the fact that the phrase Under God is in the pledge? My advice would be if you don't like it, don't speak it ;)

I pledge my allegiance to Canada and NOT god! Many do not believe in god and do not wish to place their trust in god becuase how can you honor something you don't believe

How can they not enjoy it? After all, your purchase is 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Whether you choose the calendar, the screen saver, the greeting cards, or any of the other blessed gifts, you'll know that your purchase is receiving God's blessing.

:)

Guest Deuces Wild

I guess I see the glass as half full. I enjoyed the site and thought others would to. I never even noticed the things you speak of. ;)

I pledge allegiance to the Flag

Of the United States of America

And to the Republic for which It stands

One Nation, Under God

Indivisible

With Liberty and Justice fer all

I never heard of anyone being forced to recite the pledge. Are people offended just by the fact that the phrase Under God is in the pledge? My advice would be if you don't like it, don't speak it ;)
On the contrary, millions of school kids are being denied the oppurtunity to recite the pledge of allegiance because the 9s tates fall under a federal court decision that has declared it unconstitutional.

Not an issue of whether or not someone has the choice of saying it or not, it's an issue of people not ever even getting the chance because of the addition of one word in 1957.

Yes, and this is just evidence of the degredation of the US. In 57, they realized we were losing focus on God and knew that that was a problem. So, they changed it to Under God as sort of a small reminder.

I'm not out to preach, but this nation would not be near what it is today if it wasn't founded on God and His principles.

You are simply acknowledging that there is a God- what's the problem with that? You have to be pretty narrow minded to think there isn't a supreme being.

here in Canada we do not recite our pledge of allegiance towards our country. I bet most of canadians don't even know the pledge of allegiance, yet we still show pride in our country. Their is more to showing pride in your country then reciting a few routine words.

You are simply acknowledging that there is a God- what's the problem with that?

Not everyone believes in God, not everyone believes in "that" concept of God. It is far more narrowminded to think that everyone does, or that it does not "force" something on people.

Look at how screwed up governments that are tied to religion can be. ie the middle east.

Yeah, but look at their religion too. Besides, I didn't say everyone believed in God.

If you trace how our country went as we implemented the Christian God and actually believed in Him to how we go when we don't implement Him, you will see that we were far better off with him.

Tell me, do you believe in God?

Also, I acknowledge the fact that there are other ways to show one's patriotism than reciting the pledge, but it is a public showing of patriotism...what good is a closet patriot?

after reading all the post and as soon as i find

a civil word

i`ll post what i feel

as of this post i can not find the right words

in the start this was and is still good

and i don`t give a damm about what or how some people think

if the word god :filtered: you off then get the hell out of what i fought to keep

i don`t give a damm

and any other who served this country to keep it free

should feel about the same way

if you don`t like it leave it !!!!!!!

please run to the nearest border

:angry::angry::angry:

Tell me, do you believe in God?

Also, I acknowledge the fact that there are other ways to show one's patriotism than reciting the pledge, but it is a public showing of patriotism...what good is a closet patriot?

Whether I or anyone else believes in God is no ones business.

As for the second statement our countries constitution explicitly states there will be seperation of church and state. Enough said. I'll just stay away from this kind of junk from now on. It's obvious some people just can not accept that not everyone has the same religious beliefs as they do.

I would never force my religious beleifs on another person in the form of something so great as the "original" pledge of allegiance.

Yeah, but look at their religion too.

Exatly the kind of bias I am speaking of.

and if you can`t don`t or won`t read or learn our english

then get the hell out

if you need help finding the closes border

let me know

I CAN HELP SHOW YOU OUT OF THIS GREAT LAND

THAT I CALL HOME !!!!!

Separation of Church and state has nothing to do with what you're talking about. That statement has been bent so out of whack its sickening. It was to keep the government out of the Churches, meaning they can't come in and control it. What the h*** does separation from church and state have to do with having the 10 commandments posted in the court? What does separation of church and state have to do with say "Under God". What does it have to do with In God We Trust? I'm going to go and cool off before I post anymore.

Guest Donna

Do you all swear like that, and critisize each other in church while your talkin to your God? :blank:

I think a little cooling off period is needed here,,religion will always strike some nerves and can lead to some hurt feelings by some,,and we don't need that here.

Bruce is on target here,,but if you really feel the need to profess "your" beliefs on a thread around here,,do not be upset if others have a different opinion.

If we are going to discuss a subject,,fine,, but try and keep it as civil as you can,,we all have to share this forum.and its alot easier to do that without hostilities. :) v

Thank you Jander for the kind comment, but I am an American living in canada...thats the canadian bit of me...my address...lol.

tw2, both my grandfather and uncle was in service, and they too fought for the same values that you did. My uncle passed away a few years ago from cancer, but he did beleive in and fought for God and his country. In his mind, he felt that the both of them should never divide. In canada, they say the Lords Prayer here in the schools. I feel that for the few minutes it takes to say it, whether or not you believe in it, what could it really hurt...look at commercials, they are on our T.V. and we don't believe in what they are saying. Thats more harmful because they repeat themselves many times a day and pop up on your favorite shows. Maybe I shouldn't add my two cents, but its hard to see a Country as strong and proud as the United States start questioning every thing they do. :angel: Well, I will grab my cookie and browse around. :oreo:

Guest Donna

I understand what you are saying and I dont really dispute it, but

In canada, they say the Lords Prayer here in the schools. I feel that for the few minutes it takes to say it, whether or not you believe in it, what could it really hurt...l

If you changed that and said Satans prayer, what would everyone be saying then? What would it hurt???

My kids are in grade 8 and 9, they have never said the lords prayer in school, it was taken out when I was in about grade 8 or 9. At least it was here in Northern BC.

:):):) added some smilies, cause I'm not arguing with anyone. :)

and this bunny has got to go!!! :blink::mrgreen:

Don't know if this will cool things down or stir things up. For what it's worth.....I like it anyway.

A M E R I C A

A

is for the Attitudes

that conquer any quest

M

is for the Multitudes

who know just why they're blessed

E

pluribus unum

from sea to shining sea

R

for all the Riches found