Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willow1

In God We Trust

A relative sent this to me via email. I agree and think it is a really good idea, I know I am going to comply and add to my mail but I realize this is a personal choice so I leave this to anyone who is interested and to ignore or delete if not.

Subject: WRITE IT ON THE BACK OF YOUR ENVELOPES.... IN GOD WE...

You may have heard in the news that a couple of Post Offices in Texas have

been forced to take down small posters that say "IN GOD WE TRUST". The law, they say, is being violated is something silly about electioneering posters

(is God running for office?).

Anyway, I heard proposed on a radio station show, that we all write "IN GOD WE TRUST" on the back of all our mail. After all, that is our national motto, and it's on all the money we use to buy those stamps. I think it is a

wonderful idea.

We must take back our nation from all the people that think that anything

that offends them should be removed. If you like this idea, please pass it

on, and DO IT. The idea of writing or stamping "IN GOD WE TRUST" on our

envelopes sounds good to me.

It has been reported that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore, I have a very hard time understanding why there is such a mess about having "In God We Trust" on our money and having God in the pledge of Allegiance. Could it be that we just need to take action and tell the 14% to sit down and shut up?

If you agree, pass this on, if not delete this message.

W1[/B]

I think it is because this country was founded on the principle that minority views are tolerated and that minorities should be protected from the tyranny of the masses.

I am not religous and don't resent people who are but I can see where I would be upset if they did that. It is like smokers walking up and blowing smoke in your face becuse you don't smoke. It is one thing to be nationalistic but another to hurt a minority as well. I hope those sediments are not shown by all religous people towards non-religous people becuase it contradicts the whole principals behind religoun!

Could it be that we just need to take action and tell the 14% to sit down and shut up?

Nope it's time we tell those who would take the rights away from the minority to sit down and shut up! This country was founded on the idea that everyone had a voice.

The imperial/dictorial idea that if you don't agree then you don't count is a violation of our most basic rights as Americans.

Input from a Brit.

I think the word that may offend some people is God.

Some trust in Allah, some Buddha and so on........

I think it is because this country was founded on the principle that minority views are tolerated and that minorities should be protected from the tyranny of the masses.

Quite so and well spoken,

I

1% of the people have never been able to take anything away from anyone. But for someone to say the 14% should sit down and shut up just goes against every principle of our Constitution.

If someone complains and that complaint makes it to the supreme court and the interpretation of the Constitution is in their favor then they haven't taken anything away from anyone. All they have done is uphold the law. If the majority doesn't like the Constitution then they get it amended with a 2/3 majority in Congress.

The fact of the matter remains the minority have as big a voice as the majority in this free land, anything else would be unacceptable.

"Could it be that we just need to take action and tell the 14% to sit down and shut up? " sounds like removing the right of freedom of expression and freedom of worship to me.

So if 51% of the population wanted to kill a minority or keep them as slaves because of some percieved threat or a belief that they were inferior (e.g., non white, female, of Japanese ancestory, etc.) then they could just be locked up or executed? I disagree with this policy suggestion. I understrand your thinking and respect it but I disagree. I for one have no desire to roundup and kill minorties, muslims, blacks, hispanics, gays, american indians, or other minority groups. I do know that there are other governments that support that policy. I would encourage you to consider citizenship there rather than seeking to impose those policies in my country.

Guest Deuces Wild

1% of the people have never been able to take anything away from anyone. But for someone to say the 14% should sit down and shut up just goes against every principle of our Constitution.

If someone complains and that complaint makes it to the supreme court and the interpretation of the Constitution is in their favor then they haven't taken anything away from anyone. All they have done is uphold the law. If the majority doesn't like the Constitution then they get it amended with a 2/3 majority in Congress.

The fact of the matter remains the minority have as big a voice as the majority in this free land, anything else would be unacceptable.

Then how is the 1% any different from the 14%? If the wishes of the minority should prevail, then even 0.001% should be the rule.

The concept that the minority views trump the majority is relatively new and has pushed the intent of the Constitution to the limits. I doubt the founding fathers ever contemplated the mess that the ACLU and others have forced us into.

It is quite ridiculous to think that the majority views do not prevail. Having a *voice* is one thing...making the rules is another.

:blink:

Time for Americans to take back their country. ;)

I didn't say the 1% should prevail. I said they should not be told to sit down and shut up. No one should. Everyone has a an equal voice, whether or not anyone listens to the voice is another matter.

I am not talking about television censorship Star Rider. I don't like allot of the agrbage on TV either, but you know what, I change the channel! :rolleyes:

Guest Deuces Wild

I didn't say the 1% should prevail. I said they should not be told to sit down and shut up. No one should. Everyone has a an equal voice, whether or not anyone listens to the voice is another matter.

I am not talking about television censorship Star Rider. I don't like allot of the agrbage on TV either, but you know what, I change the channel! :rolleyes:

With your logic, why shouldn't the 1% prevail (which they already have in numerous cases)?

Complain to your Congressman. Complain to the FCC, Complain to the cable company. You have the right to voice your opinion. They may not listen, but you have a voice.

Then I suggest you don't turn it on if it bothers you, I have a friend who has no televisions in his house, his kids don't miss it at all.

Show me where a 1% vote ever won an election, or when 1% of Congress ever passed a bill or law.

Guest Deuces Wild

You have not answered my question Bruce.

And I can show you numerous cases where the small minority of opinion resulted in laws negatively affecting the majority.

BTW: I never referred in any way to 1% winning elections. Where did you come up with that? :blink:

Or, how 'bout regular tv (as opposed to cable channels and paid movie channels) as an example. 90% of what they show is filth, gratuitous sex and violence, etc. I've seen naked bodies and they use all kinds of cuss words. None of it would have been allowed a few years ago. Some people are offended and they complain. They get told they're trying to censor the makers of the show, that they can turn the channel (but they're ALL the same!), or that they just don't have to watch.

Well, guess what? There are laws still on the books (though not enforced) that make it illegal to air the things they're airing! And as for not watching, that's fine if you live by yourself, but if you have a family, everyone knows that's just not practical!

Anyway, the point is that those in favor of decency--and they seem to be the minority anymore--are just told to shut up and go away. Their feelings, thoughts, and beliefs don't matter here. Why?

Yup I read all of that.

And I can show you numerous cases where the small minority of opinion resulted in laws negatively affecting the majority.

Congress and legislature make laws courts uphold them and the supreme court judges if they are constitutional or not.

There is a difference between constitutional law and Mob rule.