Sign in to follow this  
kindashakey

Norton Vs Avg

It was suggested to me to get rid of Norton antivirus and replace it with AVG because Norton takes up a lot of your systems resources, BTW, I have winXP............... :blink: should I do that? and if so.....why? :P ShAkEy

Edited by kindashakey

Personally I have found avg very good but I have found norton 2003 internet security an excellent program and haven't noticed any difference in the pc performance in regards to norton's taking up resources i think if you can run xp without any probs then norton will work fine..... Just my opinion though

If you aren't having any problems then stay with Norton but it eats up resources.

Personally, I use online antivirus checks and ZoneAlarm Free for security.

And if it were me, I would dump Norton and go with AVG. Have used it for several years, and never had a problem. Only reason I use Panda now is a friend didn't like it and sold it to me cheap. When updates expire I go right back to AVG!!

Panda is free, online. Might catch something after it's on your system. But the full version might catch it as it's loading on your system, and isolate it. :mrwinky:

But as I say, will be going back to AVG!! I like FREE!!! :P

XP and 2K manage system resources much better than 98/ME do.

"No" virus scanner will make your machine bullet proof,,ya have to use your head too.the emails and file sharing will just kill ya if you don't.

That said,, I just like the AVG because its light on its feet and does everything I ask it to do. :) v

http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_downl.htm?s...10e324a6bb#FREE

I have seen people run into problems with Nortons a lot in the last couple of years, including myself. I finally gave up on Nortons and went to McCaffee. Cost less and have not had a single problem since.

I have seen people run into problems with Nortons a lot in the last couple of years, including myself. I finally gave up on Nortons and went to McCaffee. Cost less and have not had a single problem since.

I'm not touching that one!!! :mrgreen: v

Go on V............we know ya wanna let rip really :mrgreen:

Keith

Edited by doofus

OK,,

I have never seen such garbage masquerading as software in my life!!! :angry: It took me hours to get that crap off my machine,,it invades every nook and cranny,,just flat takes over the machine.

Give me a damn virus any day,,but never give me McAfee again!!! :angry:

There,,I feel better. :) v

I saw this one commin'!! :mrgreen: Now Volt, calm down.......

I have never seen such garbage masquerading as software in my life!!!  It took me hours to get that crap off my machine,,it invades every nook and cranny,,just flat takes over the machine.

.........what about AOL? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I saw this one commin'!! :mrgreen: Now Volt, calm down.......

I have never seen such garbage masquerading as software in my life!!!  It took me hours to get that crap off my machine,,it invades every nook and cranny,,just flat takes over the machine.

you forgot Windows ME also ;):mrgreen:

Imagine Volt running Windows ME with AOL and McAfee.....yikes :woot:

Keith

I saw this one commin'!! :mrgreen:  Now Volt, calm down.......

Keith

Thats about a likely as Saddam becoming the next Prime Minister of the UK!!! :P:mrgreen: v

I saw this one commin'!! :mrgreen:  Now Volt, calm down.......

Keith

I had that set-up when I first started using a computer: WinMe/Mcafee/AOL/

Geeze you talk about a slow and totally ****up system that was it!!

Thanks to the PIT got rid of McaFee and switched to AVG.What a difference that made:Then dumped WME for XP from advice from the PIT:Geeze it was like a totally different comp with XP:

Still working on AOL have a few more free months then adios to AOL:

This is why the members on the PIT ROCK :95% of the advice given here seems be solid as a rock and has helped me more then I could ever say:

You have to love the fact that the superior members here never and I mean never treat novice users with any disrespect even though they have probably answered the same damn questions HUNDREDS OF TIMES!!!

Thanks All Superior Pit Stop Members keep it up!!!

JS

Go Giants!!!7-1 Lead The West!!!Back To The WSeries Again!!!

i like ME but without mcafee . mega slow startup . it offered virtually no protection during my last virus attack .. so still have ME original copy . had to reformat and flinged mcafee cd out window.. and got norton pro 2003 ...24/7 virrus updates...must needed in those file sharing zones or FTP sites....WAIT A MINUTE ..... you guys dont like ME sorry i havnt had any problems :P

I really never had any problems with ME it was just quite abit slower and would use up alot of memory which would occasionally require a reboot to get it back:

JS

i have winxp home and have never had a prob with norton anti virus. works great actually. resources.. yah its kinda a bit on that but not, in my mind, way too much to worry bout.

by the way.. i can screw things up with the best of em.. gettin quite good at it but i love to try things that i have no clue what im doing cuz IF, hehe, it does work, then i have something i can be proud of and that i learned. ive learned more in this forum, than i have learned by any other means... be it by schooling, books, trial and alot of errors, or anything else for that matter.

i have ME on an old system.. if i had one of those systems you guys have ill be croozing at lightning speeds . i have 256 ram you guys might be running i gig of ddr with 2 gig cpu which my cpu is 700 mhz...i would like to install ME on a mega system

Why would you go and do something like that. :blink: ?? I have never been satisfied with any version of windows since 3.1 until XP came out, but ME is the WORST of them all. If you don't want to get XP at least get 2K. It's more dangerous than a lot of viruses out there.

Edited by neo x1