Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lamoune

Pc Pitstop Optimise

Guest Lamoune

Hi, i recently bought PC Pitstop Optimise and my dial up connection is worse than before, i've done several test on PC Pitstop, and i get a lot of worse tests results than before i installed this program.

Am i doing something wrong in setting up this program.

I wasn't expecting a 100% improvment but i certainly didn't expect slower performance.

If there is something that i'm doing wrong please help me.

If not, i would like to know if there is a refund available for this program.

Thanks

Can you post a link to your test results? Click the link in my signature below for instructions.

What is the difference before and after using Optimize?

If Optimize isn't working for your system we'll give you a refund, but let's see if we can figure out what's happening and why it didn't improve your connection.

Guest Lamoune

Hi Dave, here is the link to my test results. I ran a test at 18:06hours win PC Optimise configured to speed up my internet, restarted my computer and ran the test.

I went back to my system restored configuration, restarted my computer, ran the test again at 18:25 without PC Optimise and my internet is slower than the first test.

TechExpress link for your current results:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=U0X89W9GNTRSQ7CE

Wow. Either way those results are very low even for dialup. If you check the ping times in Test History you'll notice that the ping times vary significantly between the three tests that you did.

I think Optimize might be able to help a bit, but really the problem is that the modem isn't delivering anywhere close to the performance that it should. Are you in a rural area, or does your house have old phone wiring? That could be the cause. Either that or your modem isn't up to par.

A good top-of-the-line dialup modem might be able to give you better performance, IF the problem isn't the house/neighborhood wiring. Do you have some neighbors who get good Internet performance? Are they using the same ISP as you are?

Guest Lamoune

Hi Dave, I've check with my neighbor, she has the same ISP as me, i tried going on the internet with her computer and it is much faster than mine and believe she doesn't have a recent computer, i do live in a rural area maybe that's why.

What i don't understand is, that this is a brand new modem. I'm thinking that this new modem isn't working very good.

The modem is Aopen FM56-SVV

Do you know a little about this kind of modem?

What would you suggest if i was to buy another modem?

Also i have win xp service pack 2 installed,some people are telling me that's why my internet is so slow, have you heard anything about this?

Thanks again for helping me :)

Okay, it's good to know that the problem is limited to either the house wiring or the modem, it eliminates some variables.

I would get a brand-name modem like a 3Com. They're not that much more expensive. Get an internal modem if possible, the USB ones sometimes don't work well on older systems and/or when they have to coexist with other USB devices.

How about your house wiring? Is it an old house? Do you have a lot of phone lines going all over the house, or is it just a few? You might try unplugging the other phone equipment to see if it's interfering.

On newer homes there's a "network interface" box at the point where the phone line enters the house. If you have one of those you can unplug all the interior wiring and plug a phone cord directly into that. If you get a good speed with just the modem plugged in, the problem is in the inside wiring.

Guest Lamoune

Hi Dave, here is an update of my situation.

I brought my computer to my neigbor's pluged it in, and got about the same speed as at my house, so i brought her computer to my house and her's works just fine, much faster than mine.

So i think i'm going shopping for a new modem. (3Com)

Thanks for your input it was very much apprectiated :)