Sign in to follow this  
Guest michaelws

Problems With Desktop

Guest michaelws

For some reason when I click on an icon or my start button it puts an outline around it like IE does with web links. It just started doing this out of nowhere and has never done it before. How might I go about fixing this?

Guest michaelws

I have XP, but i disabled system restore. I think there may be a setting to change it. I could have sworn I saw it before. :blink:

I'm not sure if there is anything that would fix it but if you rt. click your taskbar and Properties you might find something.

Guest michaelws

I tried the control panel, right clicking taskbar and everything else I could think of and nothing helped. Does anyone have a sloution for this problem?

I'm not sure if you can get to a c:\ prompt, but if you can try this. This also works as a system checkup. This is how you would perform this IN windows XP.

1.) Click start

2.) Run

3.) type CMD then click OK

4.) in window type cd c:\ to change to C:\ prompt if not already there

5.) at c:\ prompt type sfc /scannow WITH YOUR WINDOWS XP DISK IN DRIVE!

It will varify your system against the disc and copy any files to their correct home if they are corrupt or missing. I hope this helps you or any other reader.

Edited by Signman

That doesn't sound like a problem to me, it sounds like a setting? Have you made any changes lately?

Go inot My Computer/View/Settings..and see if you have the button ticked to "underline icons"

Whenever I pass my cursor over a desktop icon, it highlights it, and if I pass it over an icon in the quick launch bar, it outlines it. My mouse is also set on single click.

Smiles :)

It is telling you that that item has the "focus" and your next action with mouse or keyboard will affect that item. This is by design; there is nothing wrong with it. Certain settings will affect when this occurs. For it to begin happening someone has changed a setting.

Have a nice day.

David

Smiles :)

Well yes. I understood you. But I am a tad anal (ok that might be an understatement). I didn't think the point got across as clearly as it could have to someone not so familiar with that sort of thing. Kinda like boosting the swing a bit once it is already going... Sometimes it's needed sometimes it's not; sometimes it's welcome sometimes it's not.

Have a nice day.

David

Guest michaelws

Well, I actually made no changes but I know the exact time it happened. I had a bunch of junk files and I was deleting them all at once by holding ctr and selecting the junk files. After I moved them to the recycle bin is when it began doing this. I dunno. Maybe I accidentally hit a button while doing this or something. Could that have done it? But I am positive no changes were made.

System Restore uses very little resources and if you have anything over a Pentium 600 you probably wouldn't even notice it. Why disable it?

Did you delete the Recycle Bin after you realized you had a problem? Can you restore those files?

Guest michaelws

I disable everything I dont use. Guess I am just too picky. I wish I had not disabled it now. And yes I emptied the recycle bin, but they were only pictures so I dont think that would have effected it.

Guest michaelws

It almost sounds like "view as webpage" is turned on.............

What is that? I dont think I have ever seen it.

Maybe if you go back to the program where the pictures were stored you will see something on the menu bar??? just fishin' here. Check settings when you right click the desktop.

I don't have XP but in Win98, right click on desktop , "active desktop"...option to "view as webpage"

As x5dr says.......just fishin' here too! :mrgreen:

If you don't have that option, you must have deleted a needed file. Put your 98SE disc in and run SFC, see if it finds it.

In XP, I believe it's:

Start/Control Panel/Folder Options....see if you have "single click" selected. I don't know what else would highlight your icons.. :blink:

Guest michaelws

Yeah, I have tried all the suggestions. Nothing yet. What would be the definition of this outline around the objects? I tried searching for anything about it but can get no relevant results.