Sign in to follow this  
Newdles

Desperate

easiest way to transfer files is by networking in my opinion.

my network is so screwed up and i dont know if it will ever work again. i did everything i could and everything it said to do, and then i click on Start/my netork places and then try to open anything that i could b4, and now i get this error.

\\CHADS\SharedDocs is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

No network provider accepted the given path.

ok, the administrator of this computer is me. the admin of the other computer, is chad.

Chad has been deployed to war for a while now. so gettin him over here to fix this prob, isnt gonna happen anytime soon.

IM desperately needing advice on how to get two files from one pc to the other. the files are:

1. Video file - 1.28 gigabytes

2. Video file - 1.51 gigabytes

i CANT split these files cuz for one, i dont know how. two, i wouldnt know how to join them back together. and three, would they work properly after? four... brb, computer just screwed up again gotta just shut down, no explorer bar no icons no nothing but this window open still, brb to repost

ok that was odd. computer is doin ALOT of odd things today. im reformatting no matter what. ive had quite a few viruses lately for some ungodly reason.

anyway, back to waht i was saying...

i CANT split these files cuz for one, i dont know how. two, i wouldnt know how to join them back together. three, would they work properly after?

HOW is it possible for me to get these files on to another computer by burning the files to a cd? cuz i think thats my only option.

please help

Winzip can span a file across multi floppies

there are others such a filesplit I think that's the name of it

or just get the network working :)

sure there is help here to walk you through it....

span files with winzip?

how do you do that?

i tried just zipping the files, and they dont zip small enough to burn. what do i have to do other that just a normal zip?

new, you zip the files driectly to the floppy. It will prompt you to put in floppy 2 then 3 ect. not sure if xp will or not though (you may have to get winzip or pkzip). A 1.5 gig vid file will use a LOT of floppies though. if zip disks or LS120 not to bad.

i have winzip. the full version and registered. just dont know how to zip the files small enough and i dont own enough floppy disks to do that.

unless my calculations are wrong...

it would take 995 floppy disks (1.44mb) to do that.

i have tons of cds, anyway i can burn the file to cd at all?

Use Winzip and a CD burner. Start Winzip, click on file, new archive, select your CD burner, name the file in the file name area, click ok. The next box that opens will be the Add box. Select the drive that the files to be copied are on. Then select files, click add button. This will add them to your cd. If that cd fills up, you will be prompted to insert another cd.

If you have a spare small hdd handy, you could install it as a slave, load the files, then put it in the other pc as slave and copy it.

Edited by dickster

thanx for the info guys...

im gonna try to do what signman said. sounds pretty basic. that dont work, ill be back to ask again for new advice.

ok, i tried it. step by step, and word for word. didnt work. when i clicked on burn to cd, it kept saying:

there isnt enough free space on the cd to write all the files you have selected. remove some of the files waiting to be written to cd, and then choose one of the options below. which were retry, or close the wizard.

any clue how fix this to make it do what you are saying?

Can you copy the file to Win-rar. That will break it down into 15mb files. Then you can reassemble on the other machine.

yes, i did select new archive signman.

dickster:

someone suggested to me bout using winrar. i downloaded it and couldnt figure out how to use it. any instructions on how to break the file down? and then how to reassemble it on the other pc?

ok , thank you for takin the time to even bother with it.

i REALLY appreciate this. these files have to be on the other pc b4 i reformat or im in trouble

Ok. Try this. Right click the file, and click the winrar icon that says add to archive. After its done, extract to a folder. Burn the winrar files to disc, and put them on the other pc. Double click the first one, and it should reassemble the file.

ok got the program again. now im archiving the file. and im NOT goin anywhere with it for bout anohter hour or so

lol

ill post back when i get the results to let ya know if it went well or not

thanx dickster for taking the time

ok.... archiving files didnt work winrar didnt work.

finally found a way.. thank you guys all very much for helping. now its time to reformat. cya in bout 8 hours