Sign in to follow this  
rdf8585

Making Popcorn In Your Pc Tower?

My aging Gateway desktop (WIN XP, 1.4 GHZ, 128 RAM, INTEL 4) has been having major problems, but what could cause them? It sounds like there's popcorn being made in my PC tower, like a popping noise.

My anti virus, firewall, spyware stuff are all up to date, and I frequently defrag, clean out temp internet files, and cleanup the disk. I used PC Doctor for Windows and it indentified a problem in certain "sectors" of my hard drive, and it seemed to fix them... things went back to normal for awhile, but that popping noise came back last night. Whenever I hear it, the PC just freezes. The C drive is 70% empty too. It's certainly not overloaded.

I'm using my Dell Inspiron 1100 notebook now (XP Pro, 2.0 Ghz, 256 RAM, Intel Celeron) ... but anyway, what could be the cause of the problem and what else can I do to remedy it? Everything else works fine.

Edited by rdf8585

The "popping" sound you're referring to sounds like a short happening. I'm suprised the PC hasn't died off yet.

Might be anything in there, but I'm betting it's the PSU going out.

I haven't dusted in there or wiped out anything that might have got through the vents... so open up the tower and look for anything unusual, like excessive dust etc?

Guest fragged one

I haven't dusted in there or wiped out anything that might have got through the vents... so open up the tower and look for anything unusual, like excessive dust etc?

yes.

turn off the computer, and unplug it. then spray it out very thoroughly with canned air. if you haven't done it in a while, you may need a hepa mask. :lol:

turn off the computer, and unplug it. then spray it out very thoroughly with canned air

Just to add to this, when you spray the fans...it is always a good idea to hold the blades so they don't spin. That way you won't have bearing problems.

its your hard drive, the popping will eventually make a screaming noise and if it doesnt die then it will soon, just replace the HD and it will work 100% again

My aging Gateway desktop (WIN XP, 1.4 GHZ, 128 RAM, INTEL 4) has been having major problems, but what could cause them? It sounds like there's popcorn being made in my PC tower, like a popping noise

would also get some more RAM with using xp 128 mb wont do much