Sign in to follow this  
striker

Optimize Dial-up

Anybody had any experience with using Optimize on a dial up connection? Did it help or hinder performance? Looks like most users are broadband and up. I'm stuck with a sucky end of the world connection and no hope for advancement in my lifetime.

It probably would help performance a bit; there isn't all that much you can do to make a dialup connection faster though. If that's the only feature you want from Optimize then it probably won't be worth it. How fast are your upload/download speeds right now? http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/

I guess this is just reopening an old can of worms. Addressed the problem on Networking & Int Connections Sept. 3 but came to no definite conclusion. At present I am still unable to reach my normal download speeds of 41-43 and uploads 25 to 28. Last attempt at fixing was to replace CenDyne external 56K modem with a Broadxent V.92 internal. Downloads now steady @33 and uploads 26-28. Speed drop was noticed in mid August and it seems we have tried any and all options to rectify the situation to no avail. Phone company maintains that all lines in area are at 100% even tho I am sure some are the original installations that helped put Pony Express riders on the unemployment list. Guess I was kinda hoping it was a registry corruption that could be repaired with a program such as Optimize.

As Dave said, there is not a lot that Optimize can do to improve a dial up connection. Having used dialup connections for most of the 90's, I can tell you that the performance varies considerably based on the wiring in your house, where you are located (rural vs urban) and also your local phone company.

My feeling is that the things slowing you down are mostly out of your control.

Just hate to give up on this so added some more fuel to the fire. Hooked up my daughters antique $40 Gateway mini tower Good Will special this morning, applied my dial up connection and :bang: wouldn't ya know, it clocked in @43 dl and 28 up. :bawling::pullhair::grr: :beer: These are the same speeds I used to get prior to mid August with my custom built 2500 Barton. Think I should trade her straight across? :shifty:

Now if it were me, I'd be switching modems as we speak just to see what would happen. :P

I would also like to share some of my experience with dialup. Back in Win95. 98 and 98Se there were several tweaks and optimizers that could make your connection as good as it could get. (I also agree with Rob about most things being out of the user's control when it comes to dialup. ;) ) Then along came WindowsXP, which claimed to handle these things automatically. And after playing around with all my "optimized" settings and optimizers, I came to the conclusion that it was true. I have never been able to get better performance than if I just let XP handle it.

However.....

Not all modems are created equal, and I have quite a collection that I accumulated until I found one that worked head and shoulders above the rest. IMO, Winmodems suck. Onboard DSP's are better than Winmodems. Hardware modems rule. V.44 file compression is more important than V.92 features. Some big name V.92 modems actually are handicapped with V.43 file compression.

If you're a dialup user, I'm sure you already know this stuff. Hopefully you'll find what is causing the difference between the two computers.

Lots of good advice in this thread. Since your daughter's PC got a decent speed that tells you it's possible. If you were using different patch cords or a different jack, use the same one to make sure it's not the wiring.

I've tried it with single and double hookups to same jack and notice no difference. I'm still @ 33 and the kid's pc runs between 41-43. Am shopping right now for an external Creative Modem Blaster, hopefully this will make a difference.

The best modem ive found to be is US Robotics. They are expensive, but you can tell a difference.

Also for "tweeking" a dial-up connection, if you goto the propertys of the connection, uncheck "log into network" and also take the checks out of netbeui and ipx. that will help the time it takes to connect drop a little.

Posted Image