Sign in to follow this  
erikhaan

Wireless Networking Problem

Ok good. Keep at it champ, just be sure that the items that I listed previously are matched on the router as well as on the wireless software on the laptop. :)

SSID (name)

Broadcast SSID enabled (for now)

Channel (#)

We'll leave the WEP off for now. ;)

try running the winsock fix in my signature. It fits on a floppy so you can d/l it with the good machine and xfer it to the broken one with a floppy.

I believe you go to a command prompt and type

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

you get to a command prompt by hitting start : run : type command : hit enter.

Ok...

I did what you said...

The DOS screen comes up, the cursor blinks for about 10 seconds, then the DOS screen disappears. I tried it for both "resetlog.txt" and "c:\resetlong.txt" and achieved the same result each time.

Is this normal? If not, what do I do now?

If it is normal, how do I proceed from here, as my connection still does not work?

Thanks!

Forgive me for barging in, as I have little or no knowledge of how a computer works. The only reason I'm speaking up is that I had this same problem, although with different hardware, when I got my laptop online.

I use a D-Link and spent three days getting it to work. Finally it started almost on it's own. But from the start it always claimed to have a connection. What I ended up doing was disabling the D-link feature and "letting windows manage my wireless card".

I don't know if this applies to you, but it worked for me. Sorry if this is totally random, but I thought I may try. Seeing as your hardware is totally different than mine, I don't know what else I can do to help.

Limited mac address maybe? Or would that even block the connection in the first place? Shootin' blanks here......

No, no, please barge in! Thank you so much for trying to help because this is so frustrating and I think people are running out of answers!

How do I do what you just described?

Thanks,

Erik :help:

turn off all PCs using the network. unplugg the modem and wireless router from the power supply and leave them for 1 minute at least. then plug in the modem and allow it to reboot until all the lights except the activity light are on. Then plug in the power to the router.. then afterwards power on the PCs and you should be able to access the net.

Make sure you have a wired connection from the modem to the router WAN socket and that you have enabled internet access in the routers' menu.

Intratech,

I did exactly as you suggested but to no avail. I'm not sure if you know, but there are three computers on my network.

One of them has the modem and is connected to the wireless router through an ethernet cable. The other two have wireless cards.

One of these two wireless computers (my personal computer) suddenly stopped sending and receiving packets one day. It is able to receive a signal from the router but doesn't send or receive packets. It was working just fine on the network until that fateful day.

The other two computers have always worked on the network, as well.

My thought is that it has something to do with some anti-spyware software I installed. The software is Ad-Aware. I was using it one day to clean up my system. It deletes any "Critical Objects" and I think my connection dropped either right after or shortly after I deleted those "Critical Objects." I'm wondering if it messed up my computer's settings.

Thanks for your input,

Erik

Have you tried uninstalling Adaware and doing a system restore?

Or swapping the wireless card with the other computer to make sure the problem stays at the problem PC and doesn't leave with the card?

Okay, go with me here, remember I have less knowledge about computers than I do about women (and that ain't much!)

I see your using windows XP (thank God), that means I know where to point you. Okay:, Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Right Click your wireless card -> Properties -> Click the "Wireless Network" Tab (on mine it's default, but I ain't takin' any chances).

The first box below it sould say "use windows to configure my wireless network settings."

Wait, that's not right. Dang it, I missed something. Been a long time since I got it to work. I'll keep loooking. You can try the top if you wish, may help, who knows.

Have you tried uninstalling Adaware and doing a system restore?

Or swapping the wireless card with the other computer to make sure the problem stays at the problem PC and doesn't leave with the card?

Now why didn't I think of that....

I am not able to swap wireless cards because the computer that isn't working is a laptop using a wireless card that fits into a PCMCIA slot and the two working computers are desktops that don't have PCMCIA slots.

Does your wireless card have two little lights on it? Green when it's working and red when it's not? Some laptops also have a very small push in button on the side of the laptop next to or near the pci card, if you have one, try pushing it in once

Does your wireless card have two little lights on it? Green when it's working and red when it's not? Some laptops also have a very small push in button on the side of the laptop next to or near the pci card, if you have one, try pushing it in once

My wireless card does have two lights on it: One turns green when the card is plugged into the computer and the computer is powered up. The other blinks green when I am connected to the Internet.

Currently, the light that indicates the computer's power is on is the only light that is on.

As for the small push button on the side of the laptop...

I'm guessing you mean the button to push when I want to eject the card. Am I right? Anyways, I pushed this button once and the other green light blinked two times and stopped. There was no connection to the Internet.

I pushed the button a second time and ejected the card. I then put the card back in the slot. Again, there was not any connection to the Internet.

It really sounds like your card went bad to me, sorry. The only way to know is to put in a new one and see if it works.

Fortunately, I have another wireless card I was able to try out.

I installed it, but the same thing happens! I am able to receive a signal from the wireless router but unable to connect to the Internet!

I noticed that in both instances, in the Properties of each, I don't have an IP address, Default Gateway, or anything.

I'm guessing something in Windows XP got screwed up.

Erik

Has anyone had you try to renew the IP?

If not:

Click the Start menu in the lower left hand part of the screen.

Click Run.

In the space provided type "ipconfig /release" and click OK. Note that there is a space between ipconfig and the /release.

Type "ipconfig /renew". Note that there is a space between ipconfig and the /renew.