Sign in to follow this  
ferg_85

Help Please

hard to say....it could just be reading what you have it set at and not what the actual processor is!

i still don't like the way they word it..."3200 xp"

....there is something fishy about that! :rolleyes:

you wont be able to tell if its overclocked until you overclock it,

the other way you can be positive is to remove the heatsink and look at the label on the cpu and get the number off it, but as you dont feel comfortable i wouldnt recomend it.

i would say that if thats what the cpu id is repoting then that is correct and you have a 2500xp, either way it still doesn't run as it is supposed to so send it back to them, and i would ask for a refund

you can get cheaper than that, ;)

edit: try the one intelguy posted and see what that says

Edited by spookywillow

Well i clicked on the box that said overclock on that program and it does say some stuff, about the cpu it says the following;

CPU type AMD Athlon XP-A 2500+

CPU Alias Barton

CPU Stepping A2

CPUID CPU name AMD Athlon XP 2500+

CPUID Revision 06AOh

CPU Speed

CPU clock 1833.47MHZ

CPU Multiplier 11.0 x

CPU FSB 166.68

Then some stuff about cpu cache and other things

edit: sorry i started this before seeing the above message

Edited by ferg_85

Ok i have used the ine that IntelGuy said and this too says that i have an AMD Athlon XP 2500+. So i guess they did cheat me, i hope i can get my money back, guess i will just tell them that they did not provide the processor they said they would and i want a refund.

Edited by ferg_85

Well i can see that i am going have to return this computer to the company, i was wondering though is there any way they could start to use my copy of windows, as all that is needed is activation. I do not want this to happen is there any thing i can do or will they need the product key for activation? And a big thankyou again to all that have given me help and advice.

What just happened has made me the most most confused man in the known universe. I went back to Bios set everything back to the way it started 200 for cpu and 166 for dram. Then out of the blue it actually started properly and both those checker programs now tell me i have a AMD Athlon XP 3200+, running with a core speed of 2200.1MHz. I can assure you that i made no other alterations or tweeks, or turned it off and on, or did anything other than give up on it. Can anyone out there tell me

A) what just happened, and

B ) What do i do know, i cannot complain now that it tells me i have the right cpu.

Edited by ferg_85

my guess is the FSB, is changing something. (Does AMD have a CPU identifier like intels?) (seen 1.2 durons oced to 2 gig from the vendor! PS with a 2 year guarntee. so...

apparently the ram is not up to running at the 200MHz speed. perhaps it is pc2700 (333MHz) or lower and not pc3200 (which runs at 400MHz). you could take a look at the ram stick(s) to be sure....it should have a label on it saying what speed it is.

it is usually better to run the cpu and ram at 1:1, meaning they both run at 200Mhz.....but if it won't run at that speed and it runs o.k. at the 200cpu/166ram, then you may have to accept that or upgrade the ram to pc3200 or better.

Edited by JackeL

Well i just looked at the ram and it is pc2700. Still i am none the wiser as to why it has started to work and am a little worried that it may stop working (i guess i have to live with that), unless of course anyone can enlighten me as to why its working now. I am prepared to upgrade the ram once my student loan has come through in a month so i will do that then.

the reason it did not work before was that we tried to run it at an overclocked speed of 400MHz(200x2).....pc2700 ram is only supposed to run at 333MHz (which it is set at now: 166x2).

some pc2700 ram can be easily o/ced to 200MHz, some can not handle it! yours is apparently the latter. you could try messing with the ram timings and voltages to get it to run at 200MHz.....but i'm not sure if you want to try that or if your bios will even allow it. :blank:

Edited by JackeL

I think that i will leave everything as it is, i do not wan't to tempt fate by trying anything else. Don't suppose that any one could recomend some where good to buy this 3200ram and will ship to the uk(unless this goes against forum rules of course). Thanks

Edited by ferg_85

I'm sure someone from the UK will be around soon, and can point you to a shop over there where you can get pc3200 ram. However, I would e-mail the place you bought it from stating the problem. They may work with you to get what you need.

BTW... Good job on getting it up and running!! :)

Edited by dickster