Sign in to follow this  
blink_182_fan

Wireless Network Problems

Since you're unable to test that computer online, this would be my next suggestion. Run a HijackThis scan on that computer, post your results on this thread and after it's posted we'll get a mod to move it to that section and see if one of the Pit experts can see anything that might be causing the problem.

To download Hijack this, go Here

This program can be burned to a cd and installed on the other computer, please follow the directions below when installing and running your scan on the other computer:

http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=36065

Please create a permanent folder for HJT. Backups can't be created in a temporary directory or running from an unzipped state.

Here's how to make a permanent folder:

Click My Computer, then C:\

In the menu bar, File->New->Folder.

That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or "HijackThis". Now you have C:\HJT\ folder. Put your HijackThis.exe there, and double click to run it.

I think you are on the right track Artfullysedated, but before you go to the spyware forum, one last question.

Hey Blink, do you have a software firewall on this computer??

Your help is appreciated crescent :)

If the firewall isn't the problem, if you could help blink_182_fan figure out how to get HJT on the ailing computer, it'd be appreciated. I have to be offline for a couple of hours

zone alarm on the computer that does not work???

Would you disable it and see how your computer works with Zone Alarm disabled, and totally out of the picture.

K, but I will be waiting for you to come back, cause you have the best ideas. I think he should be able to put it on a floppy and d/l it onto his upstairs computer.

Im going to try and get the Hjt log off the computer with the pci card when my brother gets him as im on his computer and im stuck in a limited account and hopefully my floppy drive will work on his account as he is admin

Edited by blink_182_fan

Let us know how you're progressing

If you do manage to get a log, copy and paste the log into the HijackThis section of the forum boards, we can reference back to this one so those nice people won't have to scroll through 3 pages of text.

Good luck! :)

Sounds like you have either a 169 IP or a corrupted TCP/IP stack. Hit start - run - type cmd - hit enter - type ipconfig in the new window - enter - post back the ip address windows spits out.

In either case try running the winsock fix in my sig, it automatically fixes a LOT of no-surf type problems.

Edited by akokes

Guest tntoak

I am having the same problem, and it's with either my wireless or my ethernet connection. Basically, no matter what I try to do, I can't get the configuration set successfully. So far I have:

1. Disabled the Windows Firewall

2. UNinstalled Norton systemWorks 2005

3. Reinstalled both the wireless card and the ethernet drivers

4. Rebuilt the TCP/IP stack per the MS Knowledgebase article, located (here)

5. Tried both connections on two SEPERATE networks.

Run ipconfig /all and got the following info (off the wireless connection; same goes for the wired):

IP:  169.254.204.110
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
IP Address: ?
Default Gateway:   
DNS Servers: ?
                     ?
                     ?

And yes, there is nothing listed by default gateway.

I have also tried using a different model of wireless card, and it ran into the same problem as mine, while my card workin in the other PC w/ no problem at all.

Edited by tntoak

could it be, internet browser or firewall blocking net or router, or u have multiple browsers and u are unaware of...spyware, cheak for new.net(newdotnet)or dso exploit

I have a month old 2500$ wireless toshiba satellite, I already had to restore cause of browser probs. I know how u feel!

Ladytrigra