Sign in to follow this  
Sarah

Cable Vs Dsl

how you know where is my area? :lol:

Well I'll put it this way....if you live in N.S., you can get it. (Not in C.B. yet though) :mrgreen:

Hawk :beer:

Well I'll put it this way....if you live in N.S., you can get it. (Not in C.B. yet though) :mrgreen:

WRONG !!!! :P

ok i tell you before you go crazy my area is :woot:

East Coast ;state?! :woot:

New York :woot:

:rocks:

i should have added a disclaimer saying not everything everywhere is exactly the same.  my area charges much more for DSL, on average from reading reviews it looks the same that to get the same speeds, dsl is more expensive.

ur cable co offers a 128k stream???.....  the littlest package i'm offer'd is 3megs.

Shouldn't have needed to worry about disclaimers. What part of this didn't you understand:

About price vs. speed, I'm paying $26.95/mo. for a 1.3mb down, 225kb up connection

The Cable Co. here offers several speed packages, my only reason for pointing out the 128kbps pkg. was for a price comparison.

Misinterpretation abounds. -kd5-

Edited by kd5

WRONG !!!! :P

ok i tell you before you go crazy my area is :woot:

East Coast ;state?! :woot:

New York :woot:

:rocks:

Well I guess it's not in N.S. or even C.B. ;) Can't get it then. :(

Well if your not behind a router, or a very good firewall. Then indeed I could see your files and copy them, delete them, alter them, change them or any ole little thing I felt like doing.

I was talking about just the cable modem, not any of the programs that come over it. Before dosics 1.1 came out you could just click on Network neighborhood and see everyone that was on a cable modem and view there files if they had them shared. But now that Docsis 1.1 is out that cant happen anymore.

Im not saying that you shouldnt have a firewall, its just that the article was implying that people could get on your computer by a few clicks.

Why ? you have your provider? :help:

Yup...It is called Eastlink. But only available in N.S. & P.E.I. :)

I get full digital cable, telephone with all the add ons & high speed cable for about $ 90.00 US.

telephone w/ all the add ons.  i beat you i can make a phone call just as good as you can with my normal phone, LOL

With all add ons means call waiting, call display, conferencing,etc. These were free. What did you get free with your phone that lets you make calls....a dialtone?

Edited by Hawk

Yup...It is called Eastlink. But only available in N.S. & P.E.I. :)

I get full digital cable, telephone with all the add ons & high speed cable for about $ 90.00 US.

I want build my own provider :woot:

tell me how :blink::rofl:

um..... lots of financial backing for some nice cisco routing hardware and loads of fiber, lol

hawk, all that junk is pretty much standard on our phone lines in my town. i don't really think they offer any packages beyond local or long distance included (which we don't use 'cause of cell phones). it's like 40 bux *shrugz* well, it was when we had dial-up a bunch a years ago.

can't wait for low orbit to go to beta!!!! i've been waiting in line for about a year, lol

Guest imnew

Who knows anything about Digitalpath in the Chico area? I got a mailer claiming faster than Cable. Their Express service for $40/month free install vs my cable @ $51/month. Should I or shouldn't I? I have no problems with cable speed or service....just price.

I had DSL for 4 years, I moved to cable last year and couldn't be happier.

I'm on RoadRunner....

It's so nice to see myself downloading at 3mb

Edited by Ed Downing

Heh, I have dsl, pay 45 a month and use it mainly for gaming on XBL, I have the 1500 down and 1000 up and love all that upload. I can host games much more lag free than cable users paying 45 a month for their connections. I also have an Actiontec gt701-wg modem with the newly upgraded firmware and have dmz hosting enabled just for the Xbox.

Sure, cable usually wins when you use it for p2p or are constantly downloading huge files, but for internet gaming, I'd put my money on my dsl with the meg Upload. Also, I have NEVER had a problem setting up my modem or surfing the web at all.

I'd say that in my case, the dsl wins hands down.

DSL vs CABLE

Cable Modems

-Speed--1 Mbps to 2.5 Mbps download; 128 Kbps to 384 Kbps upload

-Security--Shared media with others in neighborhood

-Installation--$75 to $200

-Monthly Cost--rates vary from $30 to $50

-Availability--limited to your local cable company

DSL

-Speed--1.54 Mbps to 9 Mbps download; 128 Kbps to 640 Kbps upload

-Security--dedicated line; no sharing

-Installation--$100 to $200

-Monthly Cost--$40 to $80

-Availability--order service from your local ISP

Technically DSL is faster. This all depends on how far from the main connection you live and a few other factors. If both systems were running without a hitch, DSL would be faster. Also, cable companies have a limited bandwidth and if many people on your line are using it, it will slow down. DSL lines are 'dedicated lines' and therefore you never get any change in speed.

The DSL system was built with the future in mind and have been built to handle future demand. Cable companies did not plan ahead so as more people switch to cable, the system will continue to slow down until the cable companies upgrade the entire system at a huge expense.

So to answer the question: Which is better, Cable or DSL??

I would say DSL based on the data above.

computer crasher.

It all depends on the local company that is offering, i have 3 meg service whice you dont even list. it is verry common for companys to have a 3 meg service or higher, my neigoboring company has a 5 meg service. As for the security of cable its not like you can access other peoples files from being an a cable modem. There were standerds that were pased a long time ago to stop that. The cable systems were designed with alot of users on hand, so there is no "peek" time. i am on the net at all the "peek" times and do not see a difference in my downloads.

computer crasher.....

technically, dsl can't be faster than cable. it is very dependant on the cable company. for instance, road runner offers massive speed and bandwitdh packages since their main lines are fiber, they can handle it.

DSL still uses lines based on phone company standard and inherit the common interference that kills the speed. note that for thoose speeds faster than 1.5 megs, you have to be ridiculously close to the local drop (CO). anything over a few thousand cables feet and you have to drop down in speed. maximum distance is 3 miles to get a 128k package.

cable offers their service at standard fast speeds of 3-4 megs anywhere their lines are. you don't have to be at a certain distance from the CO. example, i'm a good 20 miles from our providers nearest substation.

your facts of DSL are some what true, in a very narrow light. DSL is ONLY a dedicated line to the very local CO, where it joins the data strem just like everything else.

cable though, it's only a shared line from where your house line branches in, untill it gets to a hot spot on the fiber line, at which point it's n the exact same data flow type as DSL.

security shouldn't be a deciding factor since they are both practically THE SAME. it's not like the old days like others had said if you had bother'd to read the thread at all.

cable companies and DSL companies will BOTH slow down as more users get on the service. though to see a notable change in speeds, you'll need people subscribing in the many thousands to get a large scale dip. while DSL needs to "digitalize" their local CO to make it able to even work with DSL, and u still have to find out if the actual line to ur house can use DSL, cable on the other hand just has to run a new fiber trunk wherever they want, slap a hot spot in line, and ker-pow, they have access for another few hundred residents on that one box.

u should really review the services you are talking about. good place would be dslreports.com for you to start.

Q: DSL vs CABLE? (#129)

A: This is a question that is asked everywhere you look. Which do I want ... DSL or Cable?

DSL service shares bandwidth amongst ALL users connected to the same DSLAM. Cable shares bandwidth amongst ALL users connected to the same CMTS.

DSL's advantage?

The dedicated circuit prevents other users from affecting your connection to any significant degree. (In most cases.)

Cable's advantage?

Generally cable can support higher bandwidth rates, and can usually provide service to a larger area than 18,000 wire-feet, DSL's limit.

Cable modems are typically faster for downloads than most if not all DSL lines, when the cable infrastructure is new or well maintained. One of the most common complaints seen in our cable forums is that of increased latency and other problems as more subscribers in a given area come on line. Additionally, cable has a few other disadvantages when compared to DSL.

The first disadvantage is that cable is an RF network -- this means that it is vulnerable to transient problems "within the network" from RF interference. Since cable is a shared media, there is a possibility that performance may degrade over time as additional households plug in, connect additional devices (videos, game machines etc.) to the TV lines.

A cable company may react slowly to decreases in performance if it reacts at all, as they never sell access by speed, or promise consistent speed or latency.

Another of the disadvantages of cable over DSL is the upstream (return path). Cable companies are using a very narrow band for return signalling, and this is positioned below all the space allocated for TV channels. This band is prone to RF interference and is very limited in capacity. Upstream transmissions may therefore compete with others in the area, get delayed (suffer high latency) due to noise fighting techniques, and cable TOS (Terms Of Service) typically prohibit any kind of constant upstream use. Internet use is shifting away from central servers broadcasting to many individuals and some interesting peer to peer applications are appearing (games, voice and video applications, communal libraries). These applications need a strong upstream channel.

In summary, cable modems are currently good value and strong competition for residential casual use, often available more cheaply and far faster than their ADSL competition. However, DSL is probably the more future-proof system, offering digital direct from the internet infrastructure. If your DSL ISP is on the ball, your performance in either direction will not be different from peak hour to early morning, and DSL lines are available for a wide variety of purposes, both business and residential.

On top of this, I love the extra Upload that DSL offers, if you are a p2p gamer on PC or using XBL like myself, DSL is the champ.

were did you get that load of crap, lol. dsl is not the way to the future simply because they can't implement it over large areas. to get into back country, dsl would need upgrades to the CO, more hot spot (your slams), and to upgrade all the lines on the routes as they would be the older lines.

also, if you check most uploads, you'll find that more than average, cable has higher uploads thand DSL.

a note on needing loads of upload speed fr games. no, you don't. you can play any game out there on a LAN that has a total upload speed of 256 and you won't run into problems. you should be worrying about your ping (pong) time.

and once more about peaek time usage, the vast majority of users will experience no peak time "lag" or slow-down. and if you do on ANY connection, you'll still be within the amount of bandwidth that the ISP sold you. look in your contract and you'll see that NO ISP guarantess the bandwidth they say you can reach, or will reach most the time. a large number of cable companies sell residential services at 3-4-5 megs down, but only guarantee that you won't drop below 1 meg.

i bet you're heavy into file sharing or v-connects to need extra upload speeds. the vast majority of people don't.