Sign in to follow this  
Sarah

Cable Vs Dsl

Depends on the price and speed. DSL is more reliable while Cable is usually faster, but every case is different.

the speed of the DSL depends on how close you live to the provider...so if you live close, and the price is right, then DSL would probably be the better choice.

BUT, if you live farther away...and are still looking for very good performance, cable is always fast, no matter where you live. so if the price was good for the cable, then that may be the better buy.

you will have to do some research into this on your own to decide which is better for you :)

hope this helped :)

I agree, cable is better. If you read that article dont let the security thing scare you, if you are on a cable modem people cant see your files and there not goin to just be able to copy them. Also ive never seen my proformance degrade, i use my comptuer all the time and i never saw a drop in speed. That study was from 1999, alot of things changed on the interent from 5 years ago. The only time i get slow downs is if the site im on has too many people on it that it cant keep up with the demand, but thats not an ISP problem its the sites. Also what they are saying about "sharing" your connection, in most places there isnt a big enuff demand for cable modem to even signifently put a dent in your speed. We have about 45 people on our "network" thast 45 people in our area that have cable modem, and it is spread out for about 10 miles, and we arnt even close to hitting the point were speed is a issue.

BBYTech

thoose 45 users probably aren't even on one hop either. normally a hop will cover a mile or more in internet providing and can handle over 100 users easily. the hop is directly tied into a fiber line, and that is how the cable doesn't decrease in speed. (hops are also powered replicators).

security on ANY internet connection is going to be a problem if you don't take basic precautions, so the point of DSL being all this much more secure than cable is not really a point at all. the fact remains that it's an always on connection and abides by the same principles that it can be hack'd like anything else.

price vs speed.... cable will always win. some will say that DSL offers comparative speed packages. one thing, they don't unless yu live under 5k feet from the CO and get expensive, but fast, connections. cable will always run you 40-50 bux for your basic 3 meg stream. dsl, well, for 40 - 50 bux i can get a 1.5 meg stream. you do the math.

and a final selling point. cable is extremely hassle free. you plug in the modem, (assuming ur cable co has done what they need to do) you plug ur pc/router into it, you boot up, you surf the web. DSL requires passwords to utilize the connection which can sometimes be a hassle, especialy if you lose the log/pass and need to reboot your router to factory defualt. sharing a dsl connection has also had some document'd troubles.

over all though, it's more a thing of preferance anymore. if you want some REAL broadband, wait a couple years, 2 tops, and WiMAX and LOS connections will be the main stay with wireless connections at a 5 meg stream minimum. all this new tech is exciting. www.wildblue.com <keep your eyes to the sky

security on ANY internet connection is going to be a problem if you don't take basic precautions, so the point of DSL being all this much more secure than cable is not really a point at all.  the fact remains that it's an always on connection and abides by the same principles that it can be hack'd like anything else.

price vs speed.... cable will always win.  some will say that DSL offers comparative speed packages.  one thing, they don't unless yu live under 5k feet from the CO and get expensive, but fast, connections.  cable will always run you 40-50 bux for your basic 3 meg stream.  dsl, well, for 40 - 50 bux i can get a 1.5 meg stream.  you do the math.

and a final selling point.  cable is extremely hassle free.  you plug in the modem, (assuming ur cable co has done what they need to do) you plug ur pc/router into it, you boot up, you surf the web.  DSL requires passwords to utilize the connection which can sometimes be a hassle, especialy if you lose the log/pass and need to reboot your router to factory defualt.  sharing a dsl connection has also had some document'd troubles.

I have SBC/Yahoo DSL. The HomePortal (which acts as a DSL modem & router) has a hardware firewall built into it which I have NEVER had a problem with security-wise.

About price vs. speed, I'm paying $26.95/mo. for a 1.3mb down, 225kb up connection which has been plenty fast for me. Pages load in a split second (if the site server is up to it).

My DSL has been hassle-free. I plugged in the modem, initially configured it, established an administrative login & password, and I'm surfing. The only time I've ever had to re-enter the login/password is when they came out with a security update. So I've only had to log in once in a year & 1/2.

I share my DSL connection between 2 other computers via a hub and never experience lag unless someone on the network is downloading, and the only place you'd even notice the difference is on a bandwidth test.

Around here cable costs, for a 128kb connection, as much as what I'm paying for a 1.3mb connection. If you want faster you pay for it.

I have no complaints whatsoever with my DSL. -kd5-

Edited by kd5

i should have added a disclaimer saying not everything everywhere is exactly the same. my area charges much more for DSL, on average from reading reviews it looks the same that to get the same speeds, dsl is more expensive.

ur cable co offers a 128k stream???..... the littlest package i'm offer'd is 3megs.

Well, I have a 3mbit connection (thats 3000k, right?) and my dl speed runs at about 1.5mbit down. My ISP says that is because there are other people on the cable at the same time I am (is this true, and can I boost my speed, what about a different modem (using a Motarloa Surfboard SB4220?))

I get 256 down, and that always runs at the right speed. I love my cable, its 45 a month and is great for me.

I agree, cable is better. If you read that article dont let the security thing scare you, if you are on a cable modem people cant see your files and there not goin to just be able to copy them.

Well if your not behind a router, or a very good firewall. Then indeed I could see your files and copy them, delete them, alter them, change them or any ole little thing I felt like doing.

Most people don't have firewalls, or routers and most who do have them so poorly set up, that they are useless, or their routers are sitting there with the factory settings. In simple terms, all I would need is an IP address, log in to the router, open the ports I would need, and I have everything I want. Then of course there are all the folks who have no router, no firewall, printer and file sharing turned on........... A simple smb connection gives access to the machine.

The trojans, backdoors, keyloggers, viri........... have an easier time then most people at sites like this could ever imagine.

I would venture a guess that 60% or better of the PC's out there are just sitting there wide open. Then they wonder why they have so many computer problems.

Security should be every single computer users number 1 priority. The lack of it does more to spread garbage then anything else. A well set up router will do more to protect you then 10,000 patches from Microsoft.

your words only hold effect untill the SP2 patch comes out which defualt enables the internal firewall for users that never knew it was there. that'll help out ALOT. your router doesn't even need to be well setup to work good. just plug it in and you've stop'd much of the basic stuff. the things and people that still want in though are coming in regardless of what you have.

bruce, i'd love to see you simply modify and delete my files if i plug my pc just into my modem. have fun figuring out where the prozies lead to first, lol.

one basic fact is the internet is the internet no matter how you connect to it. which connection you use is mostly just preference. it all leads to the same place and all is effect to the same problems.

prozies? :huh:

no router, no firewall, hooked directly to a cable modem? Bring the machine to it's knees in minutes. Any 10 year old script kiddie could.

As for the router, better be well set up. 99% of them are left at the factory defaults, username, and password are null.

SP2 will certainly help, but I wouldn't bank on it being the end all to security problems for Microsoft products.

erg, proxies, i hate this broken keyboard.

your 10yr old script kidies will be havin some trouble figuring out where my second proxy even is, lol.

SP2 will def. help slow down the masquerade of microsoft virus crap though

For the most part Cable is faster(3000bks). But ive seen a few cases where DSL was also 3000kbs. DSL is typically 1500kbs, or half the speed of cable. Depends on how much u want to spend and how close u are to the nearest DSL hub. Check out your local internet service providers for prices and speed. Pretty sure there is a utility here in the pit that could help you, but i dont remember where i saw it.

Take cable anyday. :mrwinky:

Hawk :beer:

:help: ok guys we talk talk talk talk but?! ;)

if someone like me want buy a new access where i found a good provider?

Road runner? Covad? Spring? who is the best?

i want this streamdown 3.0Mbps streamup 768kbps :woot:

A MUCH A MUCH A MUCH :(

that's not a common upstream and you'll be paying for the incresase, if you can even get that in a residential package in your location.

but YOU have to call around, or go to www.dslreports.com and search for broadband connections in your area. we can't exactly pick out a provider for you....

Well Sarah, what would you pick. I'm getting 4.4MBs down & 768KBs up. Unfortunately, my ISP is not in your area.

Well Sarah, what would you pick. I'm getting 4.4MBs down & 768KBs up. Unfortunately, my ISP is not in your area.

how you know where is my area? :lol:

that's not a common upstream and you'll be paying for the incresase, if you can even get that in a residential package in your location.

but YOU have to call around, or go to www.dslreports.com and search for broadband connections in your area. we can't exactly pick out a provider for you....

thank you :P i found the price :(

road runner 3000/768,IP static, net install $34.95,price Per

Month $139.95 :angry::(:angry::(:angry::mrsgreen: