Sign in to follow this  
thehulk18

Omg

About 207,000 feet above Texas and debri is falling about 100 miles North of Dallas according to newscasters.

Lord be with their familes and with our country!

OMG

I remember watching the last one on tv that blew up :(

The one this time is columbia and had 7 crew onboard. It was due to land at Florida's space center at 9am but NASA lost contact :(

Keith

Edited by doofus

No official word?! But it does seem quite obvious :( God Bless them all. Reports of a piece of insulation coming off one of the external fuel tanks at launch and hitting wing, no damage thought to be done. This will be a long investigation.

Edited by KansasConnection

My heartfelt condolences to the families of the flight crew. They appear to have perished in the ongoing attempt tp push MAN further into space. They are/were Explorers, no matter how you look at it.

LONG STAND THE USA

:(

Guest Fobulous

i heard a loud boom in my bedroom about 8am here. i'm in Plano,Texas (just north of Dallas) and i haven't seen anything from the sky though.

Prayers with everyone.

My mom's boyfriends' mom just called and told us she leard a really loud boom while she was sleeping...turned out to be the space shuttle,

God bless the USA and its patriots.

I've been following the story on Fox News.......You see so many launches and safe landings, when something goes wrong, it is absolutely devastating!! :(

May God be with each of the families of each of the astronauts. I saw the other shuttle that blew up on take off.

Where can I see the flight path over Texas?

When a commercial plane goes down it is tragic with the loss of life. This was a scientific exploration that went well. What a shame this happened.

NBC just said that the fuel could cause immediate death to anyone that breathe in the fumes.

Dear Lord....another shuttle just blew up....

This is really sad :(

What do you mean that another shuttle just blew up

I know its always sad that something like this happens but the last time something like this occured was in Jan 28, 1986 when Challenger Space Shuttle: exploded 73 seconds after liftoff, killing all seven crew members.

Also, its impossible that this has anything to do with the terrorists because the shuttle was too high to be reached by anything that the terrorist might have.

Posted Image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (thehulk18 @ Feb 1 2003, 08:37 AM)

This is really sad

What do you think I meant...It blew up!!!!

I didn't mention terrorist, I knew it was to high, I knew it happened before, I was there!!!!

That's really sad :( I feel bad for the crewmembers, their families & friends, and the space program in general. They most definitely need to find out what happened, how to insure it won't happen again, but this disaster will probably bring out all the anti-space-exploration nuts, and the investigation will more than likely set the space program back considerably.

My condolences to the crewmembers, their families, and friends :( -kd5-

i remember watching the challenger live on tv in high school. that sucked. this sucks. condolenses to the family of the crew. :(

thehulk18,Feb 1 2003, 01:15 PM]

(thehulk18 @ Feb 1 2003, 08:37 AM)

This is really sad  

I didn't mention terrorist, I knew it was to high, I knew it happened before, I was there!!!!

Hey calm down.

I was refering to that fact that you said that 'another shuttle just blew up'

I was listening to the radio and one reporter said the same thing and the news host questioned that comment ...saying that if you state it that way it seems that this is a frequent occurence like oh another one blew up when infact there have been hundreds of successfull flights for 17 years without anything going wrong.

And I posted this comment before listening to the news so obviously I am not the only one who thinks that the statement is not appropriate

And I wasnt refering to your post about the terrorists...someone else mentioned that!!

Edited by aeroman10

Guest DaveB

A sadness will blanket this planet today, :bawling:

Rember them not for what has happened, but for who they are. They are part of a race of people from a rather tiny planet spining away in the vastness of space, which they choose to explorer. They have achieved the ultimate goal to touch a star to see the world from afar, So lets not mourn the loss of just mere people but lets mourn the loss of life the loss of wisdom, the loss of courage the loss of knowledge. the loss of a friend

And lets not forget the familes the Sons Dads Fathers and Brothers Mothers

Daughters,and sisters of not just the shuttle crew but the people who build and maintain the shuttle. Think how they all must feel.

Let us mourn then carry on there is yet another day to seek.

Guest fragged one

thehulk18,Feb 1 2003, 01:15 PM]

(thehulk18 @ Feb 1 2003, 08:37 AM)

This is really sad  

Hey calm down.

I was refering to that fact that you said that 'another shuttle just blew up'

I was listening to the radio and one reporter said the same thing and the news host questioned that comment ...saying that if you state it that way it seems that this is a frequent occurence like oh another one blew up when infact there have been hundreds of successfull flights for 17 years without anything going wrong.

And I posted this comment before listening to the news so obviously I am not the only one who thinks that the statement is not appropriate

And I wasnt refering to your post about the terrorists...someone else mentioned that!!

jesus, semantics, get over it.

personally, i think it's amazing that this is only the second shuttle accident. congrats to nasa for having such a safe program.

DEATH is always saddening, but only to the survivors of those that died, for the deceased are in a better world now.One can only be glad that todays victims didn't have to suffer for a prolonged time, since it seems that the actual incident happened in a very short time.Perhaps mercifully some or even all of them didn't have any idea of what had happened to them.

My DEEPEST condolenses to the families of the deceased.

...... :(:(:(:(:(:(......

Not to try to lay blame during this time of tragedy and mourning, but note the dates of the offical NASA reports below. This is directly copied from NASA's own web site. Look at the last one below, dated 4/19/1985, and left wing damage.

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER SPACE SHUTTLE STATUS REPORT

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 3, 1998 (11:16 AM EDT)

MISSION: STS-95 -- SPACEHAB-SM, SPARTAN & HOST

STS-95 images

VEHICLE: Discovery/OV-103

TARGET KSC LAUNCH DATE/TIME: Oct. 29 at 2 p.m. EST

TARGET KSC LANDING DATE/TIME: Nov. 7 at 12:04 p.m. EST

LAUNCH WINDOW: 2 hours and 30 minutes

MISSION DURATION: 8 days, 22 hours and 4 minutes

CREW: Brown, Lindsey, Parazynski, Robinson, Duque, Makai, Glenn

ORBITAL ALTITUDE and INCLINATION: 310 nautical miles/28.45 degrees

Data will be collected with these tools during ascent as part of the Shuttle program's study on how external tank foam debris impacts orbiter tile damage.

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER SPACE SHUTTLE STATUS REPORT

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 12, 1997 (4:22 PM EST)

MISSION: STS-89 -- 8th MIR DOCKING & SPACEHAB DM

STS-89 images

VEHICLE: Endeavour/OV-105

TARGET KSC LAUNCH DATE/TIME: Jan. 20, 1998 at 10:31 p.m. EST (under review)

LAUNCH WINDOW: 7-10 minutes

MIR DOCKING DATE/TIME: Jan. 22 at about 4:49 p.m. EST

MIR UNDOCKING DATE/TIME: Jan. 27 at about 3:18 p.m. EST

TARGET KSC LANDING DATE/TIME: Jan. 30, 1998 at 3:43 a.m. EST

MISSION DURATION: 9 days

CREW: Wilcutt, Edwards, Dunbar, Anderson, Reilly, Sharipov, Thomas (up), Wolf (down)

ORBITAL ALTITUDE and INCLINATION: 160 nautical miles/51.6 degrees

With investigations on the cause of Shuttle Columbia's unusual tile damage still underway, engineers are considering the possibility that pieces of thermal foam debris from the external tank may have caused the damage during ascent. Because of this possibility, technicians will access the STS-89 external tank in the VAB after umbilical mate and sand down portions of the thermal foam "rind" located on the ribbed intertank. Work will be focused 15 ft. aft of the external tank nose, on two thruster panels which measure 10 ft. wide and 15 ft. long. Sanding the foam will not compromise the tank's thermal protection, but may reduce the probability of foam debris.

04/19/85

Discovery sustains heavy damage during return from space mission

The space shuttle Discovery was heavily damaged during its return to Earth today but made a safe landing at Kennedy Space Center.

A televised inspection of the craft after landing revealed a large hole in the left wing. Numerous tiles and protective blankets on other areas were missing or damaged, and the shuttle was streaked with what appeared to be the remains of tile adhesive or filler that goes between the tiles.

The tiles and insulating blankets protect the shuttle from the searing heat of re-entry.

Although there has been no official estimate of the damage, observers said Discovery appeared to have sustained more damage than any shuttle since the first flight of Columbia.

Edited by Dire Wolf

i would like to send my condolenses to the families,relatives of the astronauts of todays accident. and also to those who were working with them to try to bring them home.

this kind of situation effects many many people.all over the globe.

when i get my own pc back online, i intend on doing a dedication to the men and women of the space program.for which reguardless of the accidents they have endured, if i was ever given the oppotunity to go into space i still would.

I feel such sorrow for the crew and their families. There was nothing that could have been done about the damage that occured once the shuttle

was in space. Very sad to say the least. :(