Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce

Franglais

I am using XP, IE6, and MSN dial up. :woot::woot:

I am very very askeered. Freddy Kruger and PinHead are in there somewhere just waiting to get me I just know it..

How I got to using these items is a very long story, needless to say it will all be changed before the weekend is over. I am thinking this belongs in the report rules violations area.

Hang on Bruce and don't worry. I'll synchronise my 'puter clock with yours and fall asleep, I'll enter your nightmare and guide you through, don't forget to bring some silver bullets and a wooden stake, we may me the fate worse than Freddy Kruger.....BILLY GATES...just have faith bro'...I'm comin' ta 'elp!!! :unsure:

Yes I have, I keep hearing chantings being whispered, I even turned off and unplugged my speakers, yet the chanting continues. The MSN dial up continually drops the connection, I expected that! XP looks like "the smurfs" revisted. Internet Exploder 6 grabs up all the spyware it can get it's hands on everytime I use the web, and I just flat out refuse to even clcik on the "native" mail application (trojan express).

Treid downloading Mozilla but when MSN dial up said it would take a couple hours, I decided to wait. I have it backed up somewhere on another machine, I will have to look for it. Will be a week or two before I get broadband back. This dial up stuff, makes a person not even want to use the internet.

damm and to think this is someone i look up to

:woot::woot:

i`m stuck on dial up for awhile till they get wireless up and working right

but here i thought bruce .knew better .

oh wait i know ,he running it like this so he has first hand knowledge

for u2u :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Whats up with Tux?? Not ill is he?? :(

Id hate going back to dialup after experiencing broadband for the few days that i have :)

Keith

No Kieth tux isn't ill.

I built a machine for someone with Windows XP on it as they requested. They showed up to pick it up. I sat him down at my desk so I could show him around the new XP PC a little. He looked it over and he and started asking questions about my Linux machine. He liked it very much, he liked the fact that he didn't have to run disk clean up and defrag every few days or weekly, he liked the fact that it had a built in pop up stopper, he liked the fact that unsafe activex controls could not be run on it, and he liked the fact that he didn't have to have a ton of third party apps running in the back ground to keep it safe.

He loved the way the keramik theme looked, and how many interfaces were available, OpenOffice suits all his needs, the gimp is more then he would ever need for graphics, and the mail applications are not prone to all the garbage out there.

What happened was he wanted my linux machine as it was configured rather then the XP machine, so I created a user account on it, deleted my user account, and he took that machine home instead. So here I sit at the machine that was supposed to be his.

Now comes the next problem! My cable connection is out and will be for about two weeks, so I am borrowing someones MSN dial up account to get on line for the time being. I don't want to install linux until I can get all the necessary updates, without it taking 4 days of downloading, so I may just leave it the way it is until I am back on my cable connection.

I will surely have a nervous breakdown in the mean time, or I will hook a monitor to my server and use that if I get too close to going over the edge of smurf land sanity!

I prefer not to use my server as a desktop machine, so I will tolerate this as long as possible, and call the cable company 6 times a day until they get it back up and running. The cable is brand new to my to my town, and they are having some line problems, or so they say. :nuke:

It's a sad day here.

Well Bruce, obviously this will be a humbling expereience so I will pray for you, but whatever you do if franglais tells you to delete something, run for the hills! (Just kidding franglais, I trust you!) :woot:

Hey Bruce while your there go ahead and enjoy the wonderful Windows updates, feel free to open all spam in Outlook without a worry because XP is so sucure it just B%^tch slaps that trojan to the side and says " Do ya feel lucky punk".. maybe even leave remote desktop and the guest account wide open, hell even run the wonderful MSN Explorer and browse with that. You will just love the MSN homepage. Oh and tell papa smurf to comb that beard :P

;) Let him who is without sin........... :) (me too!)

Hang in there Bruce...young Tux will return to the nest!....soon :P

The machines were near identicle Ax, with this one having the brand new componants. About the only difference was the other one had a very good Operating system on it, and this one has... well, I won't get into it, lets just say it isn't what I prefer.

It was easier for me just to sell him that one, then to take the time to configure one for him, without having broadband I would have had to take the whole thing somewhere else to get it set up properly. So off he went with my pride and joy.

I will say if it were any other OS I would have said no you will have to wait, but I will bend pretty far and go out of my way to help someone get going with Linux. I was actually shocked that he wanted Linux, he is a new PC user it usually scares folks who have used nothing but windows, but it's all new to him, he sat down and used the machine as easily as anyone would have used a Windows machine.

He understood that clicking on .exe files or other windows software would do nothing, in my opinion for a brand new PC user he will be beter off, fewer things to worry about and it does just about anything anyone could want, he loved it so thats what he got.

bend pretty far??.........thats the biggest understatement ive heard in a long long time.

Keith

I will bend pretty far and go out of my way to help someone get going with Linux.

Uh, Bruce, I have this spare machine sitting around doing nothing and I have redhat 8.0 disks and if I had your address I would ;) be willing to let you set it up with Linux for me :rolleyes: Of course I would be pay all expense related and kick in a cup of coffee for you. Hee, Hee! I love ya man.

Rev,

I'd be happy to, but first I would want to know what hardware is in the machine?

What would you want to be doing with the machine?

I only ask because I have had some problems with "intel" chipsets and onboard graphics. If it is a newer onboard intel graphics (845) then I don't wan't to touch it with a ten foot pole.

I'll get back to ya, but it's basically an Asus K7M Superbypass enabled 600mhz athlon with 20 gig and Ati Rage fury pro 32mb, Plextor CDRW and DVD with WINmE on it right now. We'll talk about it later.

Never thought I'd see the day..... :P

Well Bruce, while you are imprisoned within the imperfections of Windows XP, there are a few things you can do to get rid of Smurfdom:

Display Settings, Appearance, Use Windows Classic Style

Taskbar & Start Menu, Start Menu, Classic Start Menu

My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance, Adjust for best performance.

And that's just for starters! :mrgreen: -kd5-

Thanks guys, but I am well aware of the services I don't need running and how to shut them down, and I know how to turn off smurfdom. You can change the color of the interface but that doesn't hide whats underneath!

One of the reasons I like linux is I don't have to "turn off" 20 "uneeded" insecure services, it is so much easier to "turn on" the three that I want in linux. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am already contemplating installing linux, unplugging everything and running to my mother in laws to get it all updated from up to date on her att cable connection :woot: The wheels are spinning now.

I wouldn't need to except for one very big mistake that I made. I use my desktop to retrieve updates, and then update the server from that machine. I push the updates to the server, and they are not saved on the server, this was a mistake on my part.

That will be turned around when I get the speedy line back. ;)

All my software is stored on the server, but not the updates :(

Well take it from someone with dial up, If ya start right now ...it might be updated before you have to go to work on monday morning :woot::mrgreen::bang:

Well linux is installed, updated and running just peachy keen. :P

I couldn't stand XP any longer, packed up the whole machine, dragged to my mother in laws and updated everything to my satisfaction. Posting with it right now, I feel free again. The chanting has gone away, and tux is romping all over the place.

God I love to see happy penguins at play!!

PHEW!! and we love to see a happy Bruce at play....no room for a Bru...err..Bear with a sore head around here! :mrgreen: