Sign in to follow this  
Froggiez

Windows2000

:help: Ok here is the deal, my friends computer crashed, and he didn't had the disk for windows, so I installed my windowsxp to see if windows was the reason for his problems or if it was something else. The he finally got the disk for windows 2000, so I am trying to update the windows 2000 using the disk, it runs through the process and then gets to a point where a box pops up that say:

An AutoFileScan component could not be started.

It then finishes and then reboots and starts back at the beginning.

Can anyone help me please....

Edited by Froggiez

:help: Ok here is the deal, my friends computer crashed, and he didn't had the disk for windows, so I installed my windowsxp to see if windows was the reason for his problems or if it was something else. The he finally got the disk for windows 2000, so I am trying to update the windows 2000 using the disk, it runs through the process and then gets to a point where a box pops up that say:

An AutoFileScan component could not be started.

It then finishes and then reboots and starts back at the beginning.

Can anyone help me please....

Are you trying to install 2000 over xp?

If so you can't do that you need to get into the bios and make the first boot your cdrom.

After that save the settings and install the cd in the rom. During the install delete the partition and reformat.

After that just follow the instructions.

This is only if your doing a clean install...... if not you need to back up any files that you want to save.

Good Luck ;)

his computer originally had windows 2000 on it and since I didn't have the disk I used mine just to see if I could connect to the internet like I needed to do....now I am trying to get back to the original windows 2000....and it won't let me....it isn't saying anything about xp being on there...when I start up the computer I started in in windows 2000 mode, then inserted the disk and hit upgrade....it runs through and then gives me the autofilescan error...then reboots and starts all over.....please help me before I throw this pc in the front yard :lol:

his computer originally had windows 2000 on it and since I didn't have the disk I used mine just to see if I could connect to the internet like I needed to do....now I am trying to get back to the original windows 2000....and it won't let me....it isn't saying anything about xp being on there...when I start up the computer I started in in windows 2000 mode, then inserted the disk and hit upgrade....it runs through and then gives me the autofilescan error...then reboots and starts all over.....please help me before I throw this pc in the front yard :lol:

LOL :P Don't hurt the PC

Just follow the instructions I gave you....... if you have any questions inregaurds to it let me know and I'll see what I can do.

lol...ok I will not hurt it just yet...

ok I don't understand. I can't get it to go past the insert a disk to finish installtion....I can't get the desktop screen or anything for that matter...I am so lost...

this is all new to me....I am trying to do a friend a favor and I get the headache....lol

Froggiez

no not really....he didn't have much other than the programs....I saved most of his files....such as pics and things like that on a floppy

lol...ok I will not hurt it just yet...

ok I don't understand. I can't get it to go past the insert a disk to finish installtion....I can't get the desktop screen or anything for that matter...I am so lost...

this is all new to me....I am trying to do a friend a favor and I get the headache....lol

Froggiez

OK here you go..............

With a CD-ROM drive capable of accepting a bootable CD you can begin the Windows 2000 installation when you start your computer. Watch the computer screen as you start, there may be a key press required to switch to a CD boot.

If you have an existing version of Windows loaded you'll be asked if you want an upgrade or install a new copy. The upgrade option should convert all your existing Windows settings to Windows 2000. If you prefer to start from scratch choose "Install a new copy of Windows 2000 (clean install)."

As usual you'll have to enter your Product Key that is supplied with your Windows 2000 CD. Tip: the letters in the product key can be either upper or lower case, regardless of what's on the label—knowing this makes the key easier to type in.

Hopefully that helps

Good Luck :beer:

ok...did what you said to begin with...I inserted the cd...I hit upgrade button and started the install....right at the end of the install I get this error in the final task that says the autofilescan component could not be started then it stops and restarts the computer....

I can't get back to the option of using the clean instead of the upgrade....and I am about to lose my mind.....

ok...did what you said to begin with...I inserted the cd...I hit upgrade button and started the install....right at the end of the install I get this error in the final task that says the autofilescan component could not be started then it stops and restarts the computer....

I can't get back to the option of using the clean instead of the upgrade....and I am about to lose my mind.....

Lets back up a momment...........

Did you restart the computer with the cd in the rom?

Or...... are you trying to install it from Windows?

god if you lived closer I would give you a call to help this poor girl....

I turned on the computer and started it in windows 2000 mode...then insterted the disk, and hit upgrade windows2000, it ran through the install, restarted, then went again then a sysytemsuite virus scanner box pops up and says that the autofilescan component could not be started, I left this box open, it finished the task, Performing final task, and then it restarts the computer again and starts at the beginning....

god if you lived closer I would give you a call to help this poor girl....

I turned on the computer and started it in windows 2000 mode...then insterted the disk, and hit upgrade windows2000, it ran through the install, restarted, then went again then a sysytemsuite virus scanner box pops up and says that the autofilescan component could not be started, I left this box open, it finished the task, Performing final task, and then it restarts the computer again and starts at the beginning....

ok :)

First step is to get into the bios...... as the computer is booting hit the Delete key on your key board.

This will let you access the Bios.

Find the boot sequence: first boot floppy, second boot cdrom, and third boot hard drive,.....

Make the first boot your cdrom. If it isn't change it by clicking enter on your keyboard and change it to cdrom and click enter. Be sure to not change anything else in the bios this is critical.

Click Esc. and then F10 and accept.

Let it boot from the cd and follow the instructions.

ok I am in the boot section, the first is removable devices...how do I change this? the second is hard drive the third is network boot....the forth is atapi cd-rom drive...how do I change theses....I am not sure how to do that

ok I am in the boot section, the first is removable devices...how do I change this? the second is hard drive the third is network boot....the forth is atapi cd-rom drive...how do I change theses....I am not sure how to do that

Click the + or - key this should allow you to change it.

And oh! how old is this system?

ok I did that it is now first boot CD-rom drive, second hard drive, third removable and fouth network boot

Good now click escape and F10 be sure to save the settings.

This will allow it to boot from the 2000 disk in the rom.

Do a clean install here are some good directions one of the other fellas posted for you.

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Inst...stall2kpro1.htm

Your getting there now :mrgreen:

ok I hit escape and saved it, the computer started back up and when it did a screen popped up that said it was restarting the setup....now it is back to the insert disk to finish installation

ok I hit escape and saved it, the computer started back up and when it did a screen popped up that said it was restarting the setup....now it is back to the insert disk to finish installation

hmmm.... ok lets try something else.

Do you have a ME Boot Disk?

ok I turned off the computer manually. when I turned it back on I inserted the disk and it booted from the cd rom, but I have already gone through this process already...now it is giving me the option to a set up windows 2000, or repair windows 2000 installation, or quit set up....

and I am not sure what a me boot disk is

Ok forget the boot disk it sounds like it's where it should be.

You need to delete the old partition and start over with a clean install.

The original problem sounded like something during the install got corrupted.

After deleting the old partition reformat NTFS and install again.

Be sure the 2000 CD is clean too. :)

ok so which do I pick of the three choices,

now it is giving me the option to a set up windows 2000, or repair windows 2000 installation, or quit set up....

oh and thanks so much for your help...you are helping me from not beating the crap out of my friend for messing up his computer

ok so which do I pick of the three choices,

now it is giving me the option to a set up windows 2000, or repair windows 2000 installation, or quit set up....

oh and thanks so much for your help...you are helping me from not beating the crap out of my friend for messing up his computer

Setup Windows 2000 ..... be sure to do a clean install.

Delete the old partition and format the HD again "NTFS".

Good job!! :mrgreen: You got it.