Sign in to follow this  
Slide

Xp Service Pack 2

I installed the WSP2 the other day and now I can't bring my internet connections icons up. I am still able to get on the net, but I needed to go in and change a few things. Has this happend to anyone else, or what can I do to be able to see them again?

Thanks!!!!

Edited by Slide

Alot of good stuff there hftmrock, but I don't even see Internet Connections anywhere in the firewall. When I click on the Internet Connections in the Control Pan it fires up the drive and then nothing. Seems like a bad install?

Thanks!

and thanks for the welcome.

Edited by Slide

Hi Slide,

I haven't heard anything about internet connections with SP2. However, I did see some problems using the Pit test with SP2 installed. Although I am not certain, I believe there may be a link between SP2 & the failure to test.

SP2, to the best of my knowledge is still a Beta release as you will note from this:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...sp2preview.mspx

I hope this may help some.

Regards,

Hawk :beer:

Edited by Hawk

i went and got the sp2 for xp, and had to remove it from my sytem. it caused problems with my IE6. yes it is still a beta. and the firewall should have self configured like mine did.

I am not seeing any "Internet Connections" at all in the firewalll, or anywhere else. :blink: I tried to remove mine, but it gave some error. :help: I guess now I'm stuck.

Thanks for all of the come backs...

I wouldnt want to give up so easily.

Whats up with the computer now? Lets work on it. :) I am sure if we work on it, between the people at the pit and yourself we can help

edit: see if this helps

more microsoft stuff

Edited by hftmrock

i went and got the sp2 for xp, and had to remove it from my sytem. it caused problems with my IE6. yes it is still a beta. and the firewall should have self configured like mine did.

I cant even use it!! :blink: when i goto install it it says i have a "non-orignal" boot loader... :( but id rather have my martix effect boot screen :P

Looks like for now I'm dead in my tracks. They're saying that it may be fixed in the final version. We'll have to wait and see, but thank you all for all you have added!

Thanks again...

I just came across this today:

Windows Setup

Microsoft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue Description:

To install the version on the CD, restart your computer, boot from this CD, and follow the instructions for a new installation.

Warning: The default setup options will replace your existing version of Windows with this version. If you wish to keep both versions you must select a new destination folder for this version of Windows. If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think that this might help me to get back to were I was before ths install of SP2? This was on the original XP CD.

Thanks...

Not sure if this will help but When I had xp pro going I d/l and installed the sp2 and the windows update page would not load I found this reg setting change and everything worked.

Hkey_local_machine

system

current controls

windows

csdversion 200

change the 200 to 0 (zero)

I think that is the correct path I am running linux now and really have no way to check

I do know that after I made the change everything worked just fine

Well, I guess you have to remember Slide, that this a Beta release. I think MS will eventually get it to a "Final" release. It is similar to the new Spybot S&D, there were several Beta releases until the author got all the bugs ironed out.

If you wish to keep your current version, I would suggest you look at the advice Bear gave.

Regards,

Hi Hawk.... :shifty:

I do understand about the beta situation and I shouldn't have updated right now. I have had problems with my drive now for about 3 weeks. I have had this drive going since 2001 and I have alot of important stuff that I needed to Ghost. I can't bring my wireless network to shoot the files over to my other system. Guess I'll have to get some more DVDs. My other system can't communicate with this one now. If I can't get this ghosted I will have to wait. I tried the path that Bear gave and this is what I came up. I have upped it to my site.

Posted Image

If I do decide to change it, what one do I change? The green, or the red, or neither?

Thanks alot again from all of you!

Edited by Slide

Hi Slide,

I did a bit of digging & came up with this:

(Quote)

If for some reason you dont have the add/remove option for removing SP2 try th efollowing.

Go into your Windows folder, and look for a folder called $NtServicePackUninstall$ go into there and find the spuninst folder in that folder is a file called spuninst.exe.

If you run that file it gives you the option to uniinstall SP2.

Hope that helps people (Unquote)

Have a look & let us know..ok?

Tried it and I got "The system cannot find the specified." :blink: Huh? Then the next "The Service Pack was not uninstalled." :lol:

Hi Slide,

I was offline for a bit & before I came back on, I had a look to see where SP1 was located in the directory. It is in Windows/system32/ under Service Pack files/i386. Just wondering if SP2 might be there as well.

I use this program & it lists MS patches as well as all other software. Just wondering if it might pick up SP2 & maybe you can uninstall that way.

http://www.topdownloads.net/software/view.php?id=14405

Just some thoughts. ;)

Dittos on my last... :shrug::bang::grr:This has been fun looking at all of the ways that it may have worked. Besides I have got to meet a great bunch of help here and this is a neat site all together with all of the different thing going on!

Thanks...

From what I gather as a surfed, you are not the only one with the problem. Appears there are a lot of people asking the same question: "How do you uninstall SP2"? MS don't appear to be helping much.

I'll have another look tomorrow & see what I can find.

Regards,

Since you're a member, might as well hang around...never know...you may be able to help some user. :)

Thanks alot Hawk!

Yes from installing the pack and not being able to complete the install, to not being able to uninstall any of it. It's all over out there. Also I will be hanging around here for quite awhile. I also noticed that if you had installed this version that you could not upgrade to the next if this version is not uninstalled. Hope they come up with somthing for that.

Seya soon...

Hi Slide,

Was doing a bit more looking around this morning & found this from MS:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...y/relsprc2.mspx

They are still saying that to uninstall, go to control panel/add-remove & do it there. :blink: Just wondering if it might be an idea to d/l it again & see if you can get it to install correctly, then try uninstall? Just a thought. ;)

Regards,