Sign in to follow this  
ChrisR

This Is Ridiculous

Wendi, no need to apologise for your opinion :) it's as valid as anyones. (however misguided it is :lol: )

The world now is run by the kids of 20 years ago - the same kids who used to get a 'smack' at home and school. Doing a fine job ain't they :rolleyes:

Not here in the good old USA. If you even thought about a tap on the butt of your 2 year old, who was about to touch a blazing hot stove for the tenth time, and forever be disfigured, you were instantly branded Attila the Hun. :lol:

Common sense serves better than rightious dogma.

Common sense serves better than rightious dogma.

What you label as 'righteous dogma' I prefer to think of as 'in favour of mutual respect regardless of age' ;)

I never raised a hand to my kids, I prefer hugs to smacks.

They've all turned out fine, we have a lot of love and respect for each other.   :)

I tended to spank first and talk second early on as a parent,,changed my approach ever so slightly and got much better results from my kids and stepkids.

They didn't turn out half bad... :) v

I'm sorry, but, I have to agree with DL on this once again. It is obvious that since the PC crowd made it illegal to discipline your child, children have grown up with the "I don't give a f***" attitude. This attitude has become more apparent over the past 10 years. I had the barehand method, the belt method, groundings and the restriction method ( ie. no desert and/or tv/radio, also, put in a corner). After the belt or hand method of discipline my father would give me and/or my brother (if we both were involved) a few minutes in our room to think it over, he would then give us the "lecture".

I grew up quite fine. I do not act out in violence and never have. I have always sought out alternatives to getting into fights growing up. I do not abuse alcohol or drugs. I do not disrespect my parents.

However, the kids today are taught in school that if they are spanked, grounded, sent to their room, put in a corner, have things taken away (ie. tv, radio, video games), they are being abused by their parents and should seek out help to have their parents stop said abuse. My uncle had his kids taken away by Social Services because he slapped his boy's hand once because he pulled his sister's hair. My uncle and his wife had to go to child raising classes where they were told to always hug the child and never discipline them. They were told to never take away things they are used to having because it is considered abusive. They were told to always cater (when possible) to whatever the child wants.

The children were, also, taken to another class where they were told to never let their parents prevent them from doing what they want. They were, also, made to remember a number to call Social Services if their parents ground, spank, or otherwise discipline them.

This PC society has gone too far. They have taken all responsiblity of raising kids from their parents and make the parents responsible if their child does something wrong in public. They are even trying to extend parents responsiblity of what their child does to the age of 21. This type of madness has to stop. It is apalling that parents have had their child raising rights removed and are still made accountable for what their child does, when said child is not at home.

I have seen what this has done first hand. These kids have become obnoxious little brats. They are constantly challenging my uncle and getting in his face daring him to try anything at all. They constantly walk out the door yelling at him saying "you cant stop me or tell me what to do".

I knew what it was, just not sure how it fits with the debate  :huh:  

Never mind, I'm off home. Have fun all

Sorry Sir T. It's a US thing, in some locations. :)

Edit: you're right. The spelling thing didn't. Don't know what I was thinking there. :blink::mrgreen:

Edited by John 44

a 2 year old child doesn't know why your smaking there hands, if they do something wrong that kind of discipline usally doesn't work as they will end up doing the same mistake as they did at a later time.(they don't remember what they did ;) ) there brains aren't as developed as a adults brain. just take for example my 3 year old god daughter :) she does things like hide things that i need, like my apt keys i ask here where she put them either she leads me to them or just smile's. and i find them later as it was my fault, i left them where she can get them so why scold her or spank her hands doesn't make a bit of sence to me. and yes i helped raise kids with previous relationships i was in, there are other ways to discipline young one's without getting agressive in the process.

a 2 year old child doesn't know why your smaking there hands, if they do something wrong that kind of discipline usally doesn't work as they will end up doing the same mistake as they did at a later time.(they don't remember what they did ;) )

cause and effect

They'll get the idea after a while.

And I'd hardly call it getting agressive.

They'll get the idea after a while.

if you where 2 years old would you understand why you got smacked, for doing something you thought was fun? with my god daughter i put up things i don't want her to touch.

Yeah, you put things up like that, but even at 2 years, I'm sure that if I got hit (not enough to injure, just enough to barely hurt), after a while I'd get the idea.

Now, I can't say all 2 year olds would...I've never raised one, but it's never too young. If they don't get the idea right then, they will when they're older.

if you where 2 years old would you understand why you got smacked, for doing something you thought was fun? with my god daughter i put up things i don't want her to touch.

But you see, that's part of my point...they have to learn it's not fun or a game when they bother things that don't belong to them. A light smack on the hand will teach them it's wrong to do that, and hopefully eventually they'll get the idea and not do it anymore.

Sure, when they get older, you can sit down and talk to them, reason with them. But the way I see it, if parents don't discipline their children at some point, they're going to end up running wild. Discipline means different things to different people, I understand that. But discipline is NOT abuse or bullying or "getting aggressive". You always discipline with a loving hand.

And SirT, with all due respect, your employees should be old enough to be able to reason with them....you can't do that with little children. Your employees do get discipline, just not the same way. They know if they break the rules, there will still be consequences, be it a verbal warning, a write-up, or unemployment.

And yes, it's ok to put things up from children that are harmful to them (for example, cleaning fluids and lighters and matches), but don't put everything up away from them. How will they learn that way? You teach them from the get go, not to bother them.

Edited by DragunLadee

page 6 opens fine here.. :blink:

I keep receiving the following error, when I try to access page 6.

Page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Open the pcpitstop.ibforums.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.

Click the Back button to try another link.

Problem: Unknown Error -1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited for this.

I shutoff ATT internet accelerator and I now have no problems. I hate this accelrator but fiancee thinks it improves access. :erm:

Edited by aeromaestro

But you see, that's part of my point...they have to learn it's not fun or a game when they bother things that don't belong to them. A light smack on the hand will teach them it's wrong to do that, and hopefully eventually they'll get the idea and not do it anymore.

Sure, when they get older, you can sit down and talk to them, reason with them. But the way I see it, if parents don't discipline their children at some point, they're going to end up running wild. Discipline means different things to different people, I understand that. But discipline is NOT abuse or bullying or "getting aggressive". You always discipline with a loving hand.

And SirT, with all due respect, your employees should be old enough to be able to reason with them....you can't do that with little children. Your employees do get discipline, just not the same way. They know if they break the rules, there will still be consequences, be it a verbal warning, a write-up, or unemployment.

And yes, it's ok to put things up from children that are harmful to them (for example, cleaning fluids and lighters and matches), but don't put everything up away from them. How will they learn that way? You teach them from the get go, not to bother them.

I disasgry i myself have never been disaplined in my life (pysical or otherwise) and im not a bad kid at all (in fact I abhore stuff like partys drinking or smokeing)

A light smack on the hand will teach them it's wrong to do that, and hopefully eventually they'll get the idea and not do it anymore.

i understand your concept but here in ontario, you can't even do that without someone calling childrens services or cas.(childrens aide services) anyone that gets reported gets investigated and the hell starts, so in other words you can't as much raise your hands at any kid even if it's to discipline, so we have to revert to other methods of discipline.

i understand your concept but here in ontario, you can't even do that without someone calling childrens services or cas.(childrens aide services) anyone that gets reported gets investigated and the hell starts, so in other words you can't as much raise your hands at any kid even if it's to discipline, so we have to revert to other methods of discipline.

Oh mohawk, I totally understand that. People are report-happy here in the good ole US as well. I can't count the number of times I've been reported. Thankfully I got understanding people to work with. My son actually started to throw a fit in their office and I sat back and asked the caseworker "ok, what would you do in this situation?" Her reply...."well if he were my child, I'd swat his behind, but that's strictly off the record. I can't officially tell you to do that, it goes against department regulations."

So I do know where you're coming from there.