Sign in to follow this  
ChrisR

This Is Ridiculous

well so you do something wrong and you get hit for your ealy life and and it gets burned into your mind so what happens when someone wrongs you?

Depends whether or not the kid was raised right. If my kid did something to me (Theoretically...I don't have kids.) He or she would be punished accordingly. I have authority over them.

If someone else does something wrong to my kid, they won't use physical force...they don't have authority over them...it's a different thing.

If they were raised wrong, they might, but raise them right, they won't. Spanking is even Biblical.

well im an athist so I dont read the bibel but I think undercerrents in the mind will pick up the agresiveness and make the kid act out vilontly

No, I didn't say smack him, I said spank him. There's a BIG difference in my book. And yes, he is young, but you start teaching them when they're young, and they'll thank you for it when they're older.

I come from the "spare the rod and spoil the child" way of child-rearing.

Geez people!! I didn't say beat the kid half to death. :rolleyes:

A 7 year old that is totally lashing out and is 100% out of control? Yes, that might warrant a spanking.

A 2 year old that playfully hides my cable modem? No, hitting the kid would be just plain mean.

A 2 year old in this situation isn't even old enough to understand when he's doing something wrong and when he's being punished for it. He might understand if you yell at him for touching the electrical socket right then and there, but spanking him for something he probably doesn't even remember doing makes no sense.

I don't agree with hitting kids, I can think of 100 other ways to punish them without resorting to violence.

A 2 year old that playfully hides my cable modem? No, hitting the kid would be just plain mean.

The punishment should fit the crime. Two years old and having fun...should still be scolded somehow. Have to teach them for the future...what happens if he thinks its ok to playfully hide the wedding ring in the sink...:lol:

I don't feel like arguing corporal punishment...it should be used, and if you raise your kids right, they won't be violent...I know tons of people who got the belt and are the nicest people today...and respect their parents.

he probably doesn't even remember doing makes no sense.

Me and kids always have that in common, we never remember stuff..

I wonder if kids...

oh nevermind...

lol, I agree with Chris...i'm anti-hitting also

(p.s. save the trees) <seriously

The punishment should fit the crime. Two years old and having fun...should still be scolded somehow. Have to teach them for the future...what happens if he thinks its ok to playfully hide the wedding ring in the sink...:lol:

I don't feel like arguing corporal punishment...it should be used, and if you raise your kids right, they won't be violent...I know tons of people who got the belt and are the nicest people today...and respect their parents.

if my parients hit me I would hit them back and lose all respect for them.

if my parients hit me I would hit them back and lose all respect for them.

I agree with that also. "Little Johnny, dont hit people"

But what are you saying once you hit him for doing something wrong... :erm:

The punishment should fit the crime.  Two years old and having fun...should still be scolded somehow.  Have to teach them for the future...what happens if he thinks its ok to playfully hide the wedding ring in the sink...:lol:

Do you have any experience in bringing up children Bac?

Hey Guya and gals...I have 2 daughters 19 and 25....both were rebels when they were young, and both got a smack when they needed it.

They now have good jobs, and are really polite "Young Adults"

You know what my eldest said to me about a year ago?

"Mum, I am so sorry what I put you thru when I was growing up" as she saw the way her sister was acting.......

The trouble with today..Parents do not have the rights to repramand their children...thats why we have No respect in this day and age.....Sorry if this offends any of you "Young Ones" but it's true....look at the schools :) Kids telling off teachers and parents.....

Just my opinion:)

My older brother was here today, and he brought his kid with him, a cute two year old blond haired little guy named Skyler.

At the same time I unplugged everything from my cable modem, because I got a new router today and I was going to hook it up.

Then I made the ultimate mistake- I left Skyler in the same room with the cable modem. He's been going through a phase where he just loves hiding things in random places, and boy did he have fun hiding this.

So now I'm on dialup till I can find the damn cable modem, who knew a toddler could inflict so much torture upon me??? :help:

If my nephew did that, (This is to say, if I had a nephew...) I'd keep bugging him until he gave in and told me where it was. It's not that difficult...unless of course 'he' forgot where he put it, then I'd have to kill him! :mrgreen::grr::grr: Okay, I guess that wouldn't help much. I'd give him some herbal tea to remember...

...then I'd kill him! :mrgreen::yup::grr::grr:

Hey Guya and gals...I have 2 daughters 19 and 25....both were rebels when they were young, and both got a smack when they needed it.

They now have good jobs, and are really polite "Young Adults"

You know what my eldest said to me about a year ago?

"Mum, I am so sorry what I put you thru when I was growing up" as she saw the way her sister was acting.......

The trouble with today..Parents do not have the rights to repramand their children...thats why we have No respect in this day and age.....Sorry if this offends any of you "Young Ones"  but it's true....look at the schools :) Kids telling off teachers and parents.....

Just my opinion:)

I'm eighteen, that's offensive! :lol: Not really. I completely agree, these kids are getting dumber and dumber. It's really very annoying. Elementary school is a carnival, Middle School is like a Fight Club, and High School is one big sappy annoying drama! :mrgreen: I've been with my girlfriend for almost three years now, and I never look back...but these kids just can't settle with one person. Kinda makes you wanna give 'em a good smack now and then! :mrgreen: School is for learning children, so stop the fuss about what's what and get good grades to get into college so you don't have to be bums drinking in the ally thinking about what would have been if you'd stayed with that damn girl! Edited by Jakeofalltrades

Do you have any experience in bringing up children Bac?

Since the topic is back up:

Nope, sure don't. But I'm around families enough to know that the ones who spank their kids have good kids. They'd say the same thing if someone asked them.

Edit: I got spanked too...not as often as I should have, but when I got in trouble it hurt.

Edited by bacterozoid

Discipline is a far cry from violence if it's dispensed properly. Of course you're always going to have the people who take it to extremes, as you do with everything in life.

And yes, a 2 year old is old enough to discipline. A light smack on the hand or swat on the bottom is more than acceptable for touching something he shouldn't have in the first place. If he's not taught now, he won't know later. Children have to learn at a young age what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. Bothering or moving something that doesn't belong to them is not acceptable, and should be dealt with (especially if it involves something that could be potentially dangerous for them, such as any kind of appliance that plugs in).

That's mostly what's wrong with kids these days. The government is stepping on the rights of the parents to discipline their child. Sure some parents go WAY too far, but most just want to discipline their children so they learn acceptable behavior and grow up to be productive adults later, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I couldn't disagree more. If he isn't even old enough to speak, he'll never understand why he's being hit.

As for hitting kids in general, I don't think it's required to make good adults. I did get spanked when I was younger, but if my parents hit me now, I'd probably react with one right back at them. I'm not a bad person by any means, but the point is that hitting didn't teach me a thing about respecting my parents or elders. They respect me, and I'll respect them, bottom line.

He's 2 years old and can't speak yet??? :huh: Umm ok.

And Chris, with all due respect, you keep referring to discipline as "hitting". There is a difference. Yes, respect is a two-way street, and it is earned, not automatic.

But I have to wonder, if you got mouthy with one of your parents and they smacked you in the face (not beat mind you, but smacked) you would hit them back??? This doesn't bode well my friend.

However, as everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'll just leave this alone for now.

From the way I was raised, the concept of time-outs is a joke and will never work as well as a good old-fashioned spanking. And believe me, I've had my fair share of spankings.......as a child that is... :P -kd5-

Edited by kd5

I'm with DragunLadee on this one.

A two year old is definately old enough to get a swat on the butt. Most two year olds talk and they understand the word no alot sooner than any of you non-parrents could possibly know. If the behavior is bad enough, a swat on the bottom will make the little one think twice before doing it again.

If more two year olds and older were given any direction at all we wouldn't have as many problems in schools as they have now.

Lack of punishment is why we have guards patrolling many schools now, because the teens going there simply know that they can almost get away with anything.

You are not beating a kid when you spank them. BTW spanking isn't the only option, there are many others, but sometimes it's necessary.

Isn't it usually those people who were spanked as kids that advocate discipline by smacking?

Hitting someone that much smaller than yourself is bullying. There aint no other word. And where does it stop if it doesn't work?

Smack them harder? Beat them til they're sensless?

Good one guys, keep up the family traditions.

This kid can say things like "Hi," "daddy," "mommy," "cookie," and various phrases, but no, he cannot carry on a conversation, and I'm sure he's not the only two year old that cannot.

If my parents hit me, I might not sock them in the face, but I would block, shove, whatever, I wouldn't let them hit me.

I don't think any two year old could understand discipline, but even an older kid doesn't deserve to be hit. If I had a, let's say, 7 year old out of control, I could think of a million other punishments without resorting to, as Andrew brillantly stated, bullying. I think no TV and no junk food for two weeks would hurt a lot more than a spanking.

Chris, you and Andrew and everybody else for that matter, are entitled to your opinions.

I would love to speak with you when you have that 7 year old and tell me what you do to curb his behavior when really faced with the situation.

Some things you only know when you actually have to cross that bridge. Some wisdom only comes with age. (True though, some wisdom never comes to some people. :lol: