Sign in to follow this  
moon

Terrorists Behead American On Video

forcing me to vote is a violation of my liberty :P

but anyway, yes that is a problem with our political system and in california term limits have helped in this aspect as politicians are somewhat useful when they arent campaigning but it also removes from office people who actually know what they are doing. I would be for limited presidential campaignes to 3-6 months and if this wasnt possible potentially increasing the time spent in office to 6 years so we get 4 useful years out of the elected president. Maybe 4 years then a vote of confidence to see if he gets to serve the last two?

well, you would have to argue that the electorate can make mistakes (the will of the majority be wrong?) and either way it is a temporary one. BUT, that is the reason I proposed a vote of confidence after four years and if he failed there could be a run off within 6 months and any legislation signed during this period would be up for review by the next administration

the will of the majority be wrong

well it was the chads that had the final say in this case , but has Bush honestly been good for your country ...?

honestly, his presidency has had little affect on me directly as my state was put into horrid shape by the previous governor. I suppose you could argue that he hasnt been good internationally but that has yet to conclude. Ill reserve my judgment until someone new is elected so I can compare him directly.

You must remember that I am only 22 so I can only really remember three presidents if you are asking for my personal opinion that is. I can give you my educated opinion going back further but I figured Id just answer with my feelings.

I suspect that most people living in the US would prefer to live here than some other country even though there are many problems with the government and social justice system.

As for "9/11 - Insufficient intelligence to get Rice/Bush to do precautionary measures. (Not to say it could have been stopped, but why do nothing?)

WMD - Our intelligence said they were there, and were also imminently deployable. We could not have been further from the truth.

Iraqi sentiment - Our intelligence indicated that once we took over Baghdad, the Iraqi army would lay down their arms, and the Iraqi people would welcome us with open arms. We would not be in the current predicament if we could have read better the reaction of the Iraqi people."

9/11 There is no evidence to think that Bush/Rice would have acted no matter how much intelligence information they had. They already had a memo that said Al Quieda was going to strike in the US. Their reaction was to discontinue daily meetings on the subject and to "not waste time swatting at flies". This does not represent an intelligence failure it represents a management failure.

WMD- As I understood the testimony the preponderance of the evidence was that there was no evidence of current active WMD development. Evidence to the contrary was developed by Rumfield's DOD relying upon 1 source "curveball" that was described as unreliable by CIA. Those who have developed code words for projects or agents and know baseball must appreciate the appropriateness of this source's name. My point is this doesn't seem like an intelligence gathering/analysis failure it looks like a failure of civilian leadership to use information available. Actually it looks like civilian leadership used the information it wanted for its own purposes based upon preconceived notions/biases. (Something I was taught to avoid in management courses. Maybe they were drunk or something on that day in class.)

Iraqi Sentiment- We heard the testimony before the invasion that we needed more troops and that civil war could break out. The people testifying before congress before the war said that we might be welcomed for 2 or 3 months but that would be it. The administrations approach was to have those military personnel retire. Much of the Iraqis will help intelligence is also attributed to "curveball". Again this is not a case of weak intelligence it is a case of improper use of available information.

Now I fully agree that more intelligence in all of these cases would have been desirable. I do not know and I personally doubt if it would have made any difference in the administrations goal. I would also agree that more intelligence would help with the terrorist issues we are facing but terrorist cells are by nature small and secretive. This is not like the old soviet union days when if you could trace somebody back to the soviet union or a soviet block state you could put them on the hot list. This is about a stateless religion and a radical element within that religion. Unlike Christianity where there are relatively few radical groups there appear to be hundreds or 1000s of radical cells. I think we need to continue to seek intelligence but I also think that this is a much more difficult intelligence operations to address than the Soviet Union was.

Ill bet the CIA still have more people that speak Russian , than the various arabic dialects .... I wonder how often they use Babel fish ..?