Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueridge141

Virus Help

Guest blueridge141

ok, here it is, I was playing rainbow six: Blackthorn online today and i was hosting the game, which meant that i had to disable my internet firewall protection on windows xp, so I am playing and a about an hour later I get a message from my antivirus software that it had detected and destroyed a virus, so i thought nothing of it, except that I will but this antivirus software, and a few minutes later it came on again and sayed it again detected a virus and destroyed it, this happed about 6 times, in that time i turned the game off and turned my firewall back on and started to run a full scan of my computer, by the way all the or should i say the one virus, this one W32.Nimda.E@mm, this virus was in my documents and settings/all users/my documents folder, and it was going from one program to the other after the virus software would find and kill it, so it finally went into this folder in the same as above but my music/my playlist, and went into some file called desktop.eml, and the virus changed its name to W32.Nimda.E@emc, the anitvirus software said that access to the file was denied, and so i tried to manualy find this file and I cant, i also ran the virus software from pcpitstop, and it also could not find the virus. so my question is, is the virus still in here somewhere hiding, and how the hell did it get on my computer in the first place, i dont download anything while i am playing the game i have. any help would be great. thanks :help: :angry:

Guest blueridge141

:help: ok, i went to that site and downloaded the software but it keeps crashing, but i must say i have norton antivirus on my computer, it is norton 2002, which i also just updated on the 12th, and running the updater told me i was up to date already, so i am thinking that i really wouldnt need this, because it caught the virus in the first place, but it kept moving to different folders untill it got to one that the computer cant access, and that i cant find. any more ideas? the computer seems to run fine, and I also posted this in the virus/spyware section too. any more ideas? or does everyone think it is gone? :help: :angry:

Edited by blueridge141

Guest blueridge141

yes that was the first online place i went to, good ol' pcpitstop, it didnt detect anything either, my biggest worry is, is that norton couldnt access that one file, and it showing a different name for the virus in that file, and the fact i couldnt find that file, is it still there, i have run 4 different virus scans on it, including pcpitstop, mcaffee, panda, and norton, plus the symantic w32.e.@mm virus cleaner. do you think that the file was deleted, or is it messing with me!!??? :angry::angry: my computer was running slow while it was trying to catch the damn thing, then after all the test i ran, i restarted my computer and it seems to be running fine. any other ideas??? :help: :help: :angry: oh, plus i ran spybot and got rid of some spyware too :shifty: :help:

ok it would be good to gather your boot diskette and recovery cd..store it in a good place..incase the problem persists....it seems to be gone. but you might want to try other virrus software before you assume its gone

Guest blueridge141
:) ok thanks, i have those on stand by just in case, i also saved all the stuff i care about on disk also, and then scaned them, it also showed nothing , so i am hoping for the best, again thanks to all, and just so everyone knows, anytime someone asks me a computer question i turn them to PCPITSTOP, you guys, and gals are great :mrgreen::oreo:

If you have XP or ME, you have to disable System Restore...delete virus...then enable System Restore or else you won't get rid of a virus.

Guest blueridge141

when i first went after the virus i didnt do that, but when i did it online i read that i needed to turn it off, so i did, and then ran the test but it didnt find any viruses, do you think that if it was hiding in the system restore that it was deleted when i turned it off?? :huh: or did i just get lucky, or tomorrow when i wake up will my computer be in a ball of flames, and puking green stuff, and saying satanic verus?? lol :rolleyes::blank:

lol but ill try loosing some of those restore points if you no what i mean...go to scandisk and click more options its in there ..its a good idea any to check and see howmuch space is being used..there was a time on my pc were restore used 5 gigs of space :blink: i took it down to 1 gig

Edited by duanester

http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/Disa...eSysRestore.htm

You'll find this on the anti virus sites...

Windows ME and XP utilize a restore utility that backs up selected files automatically to the C:\_Restore folder. This means that an infected file could be stored there as a backup file, and VirusScan will be unable to delete these files. You must disable the System Restore Utility to remove the infected files from the C:\_Restore folder.

Edited by x5dr

Guest blueridge141

ok, i turned it off and ran the virus scan, and no virus, so i guess if by tomorrow i am not back to tell you guys how great you are, it means i missed the virus and there is a 3 alarm fire in my room, lol, i am really greatful for all the help though, thanks again :mrgreen::oreo: it people like you that make me remember why i am fighting for freedom for the whole world. thanks again

I didn't see a new topic so first...delete norton and mcafee and download AVG....Disable Sytem Restore and get rid of the Virus...enable System Restore.