Sign in to follow this  
Guest DEADLOCK*

"weird" Virus

Guest DEADLOCK*

Hi all, new member here, well, i have visited the site many times, but just registered. Recently i have caught a virus, classified as the "weird", virus???? Anyone have any suggestions as to how to deal w/it? It seems to have only affected my "outlook express", i did catch it and was able to destroy it, but it seems to have really affected my "OE"??? Very slow connection when trying to log onto "outlook express". Everything else seems ok , so plz if anyone has heard of this perticular virus, feel free to leave me some advice, thx .... :blink: oh btw im running win 98 se, w/a cable modem and again everything but my OE seems to be runnin fine, cya soon... ;)

How about posting a link to your PCPitstop test results here for us to look at what you've got going on... click the "TechExpress" link at the above right for instructions on how to post the link.

Guest DEADLOCK*

Currently running version 6 of OUTLOOK EXPRESS, for win 98. Based on the "tests", everything ck's out fine,with the exception of a "security" issue? So 1 red flag, however i did have norton disabled when i ran the battery of tests? I did find 1 link in the previous addy given to me, possibly indicating a "registry problem". However it did not apply to OUTLOOK EXPRESS version 6? 5.5 was the limit? The article was 259927,titled... Outlook Express Stops Responding And Your Pointer Appears As An Hourglass? Again, plz any more useful links would be greatly appreciated as i really do not want to formatt. thx =} :(

try running the IE repair tool... IE & OE use many of the same components.

goto add/remove programs, select Internet Explorer, choose remove, then select repair from the list.

Guest DEADLOCK*

Tried the quick fix suggested, however it stayed the same, ssssllllloooowwww, OE conn, ? What if i were to remove OE, following the same steps, and try to re-boot with win 98 disk? :erm:

Edited by DEADLOCK*

Guest DEADLOCK*

Well looks like a "formatt" is the answer, lol, although i did d/load the spy-bot, and run an antivirus test through "Panda", as suggested by VOLT, still awaiting to hear from Panda. They have a definition of the virus i contracted, but it seems to be out of date, lol , so i'll see what they have to say, thx guys for all the help, and i'll be staying in touch! lata all .... :P;)~

Deadlock* did you get an email from "Jason" and in the subject it

said "weird, let's try this again" with an attachment?

I'm asking because I got that email and my virus protector warned me

right away!! I knew enough to delete it because I know of no Jason's that

have my private email account in outlook. :yikes:

Guest DEADLOCK*

No, didn't get it from an e-mail, i think i d/loaded a corrupt file somewhere? But this is actually the first time in 4-5 yrs i have ever had a "virus". So i guess i'm batting ok? Cya soon... :P

I switched to Eudora, and haven't worried about OE, or any of it's insecure quirks ever since. :)

Quirks with OE? Please explain as ive never ever had any hassles with using it. ;)

The email addy i use with OE isnt given out willy nilly and just family and a certain few others who actually know me have it, but even still i cant see any probs with using it Ax. Just gotta make sure the default settings are changed a little, along with turning off the preview pane and all should be fine. Is for me anyway.....lol.

Keith

I agree it can be made fairly safe,,but the way M$ ships it out,, its a virus waiting to happen!!

And thats where the problems start,,most users of outlook and outlook express just don't take the time to set it up secure,,therefore the virus cycle continues.

I agree it can be made fairly safe,,but the way M$ ships it out,, its a virus waiting to happen!!

And thats where the problems start,,most users of outlook and outlook express just don't take the time to set it up secure,,therefore the virus cycle continues.

Pretty much the same as M$ ships out every OS so why change a habit of a lifetime........lol.

There really isnt much too making OE a lot safer and less vunerable too virus's, and to a certain extent id say the same to applies to windows also. One of the first things i used to do after installing (note the used to....lol) was purge the admin tools - services and disable all the items that are a security risk. I mean why would i want to allow others to have access to my registry via remote user???? M$ must think im a right sucker if they expect me to keep the default settings XP ships with. Nope gotta purge the services as soon as XP is installed and id recommend that to any new user of it.

Keith