Sign in to follow this  
houmamiss

Today's Deaths In Iraq

they didn't know where to locate the wmd... why is it a big shocker to contemplate that battling against people who are willing to die for their cause and take out thousands of people along with them is going to be a far harder challenge to face? People who aren't afraid to die have nothing to lose and everything to gain dying as a martyr and the more you kill the more pop up to support their cause. Terrorists aren't just in one location they have networks and cells all over the world. There will never be an end to their atrocious acts because they are not from just one little country. They are world wide. The US would literally have to invade every single country and tear them apart searching for them because they are located everywhere. Few places are immune to having them live there.

what happened there today is a travesty, i am beyond words suitable to post here for what i think of those people.

what strikes me is the "well, we invaded their country" remarks. so freakin what? :huh:

a few years back, when those boys from Jasper, Texas drug James Byrd behind a pickup truck for a few miles, resulting in one of America's worst HATE crimes to date, people were up in arms, they could not wait to have someones head on a stick, someone in prison, someone strapped to a cold table with the drugs that would kill him flowing in via IV.

but now were talking about Iraq, and now all of a sudden, well were to blame. America liberated a people with the help of some loyal friends and damn it, we are the bad guys. It makes me furious.

why is that? with that rational, every country we have ever been in during a time of war, their people had the right to kill us?

angela

I wonder how many of you remember an undeclared war from my time? We had every advantage, technology, weapons, better trained soldiers, infastructure, everything. We won every major battle, we imposed our wills on the people, 10 years and more than 58,000 American deaths later, could you please tell me who won? The people of this generation better look awfully hard at Iraq, because it has all the makings of another Vietam.

Edited by Ronbo

I wonder how many of you remember an undeclared war from my time? We had every advantage, technology, weapons, better trained soldiers, infastructure, everything. We won every major battle, we imposed our wills on the people, 10 years and more than 53,000 American deaths later, could you please tell me who won? The people of this generation better look awfully hard at Iraq, because it has all the makings of another Vietam.

i remember. your "time" must be the same as mine. i lost a number of friends in that war....nobody won.

I used to think it was our place...our, meaning the USofA......to keep all the countries on this planet from blowing us all into oblivion. The more I think about it, the more I seem to think that we "shove" ourselves into other countries problems way too often. I guess there are some good reasons for going elsewhere as The World Police. But mainly, maybe we should just stand back, be sure our borders are protected, and solve some local problems that are more dear to my heart. i.e. housing for the homeless, food for the hungry, heat for the cold, medical care for the sick....the list goes on and on. A good answer to the question, "when do we go into a military high gear"? would be......."when a foreign enemy lands on any of our many beautiful beaches." And before the question is asked of me, I served my time in the trenches.... so that we have the oportunity to sit here now and discuss all the crap that is going on in this world today.

firekracker, I am sorry about your friends, but I am glad you understand what I was trying to say,

THERE ARE NO WINNERS IN WAR, everybody loses someone or something..

I wonder how many of you remember an undeclared war from my time? We had every advantage, technology, weapons, better trained soldiers, infastructure, everything. We won every major battle, we imposed our wills on the people, 10 years and more than 53,000 American deaths later, could you please tell me who won? The people of this generation better look awfully hard at Iraq, because it has all the makings of another Vietam.

no, it doesn't. this war isn't even comparable to vietnam, vietnam was much harder, and what was planned for it was impossible, we wanted a "perfect society". all we ask of the iraqi people, and all most of them ask of us, is that a good, free, democratic government and society is put in place. by the way, we pulled out of vietnam, we never really finished anything, but we did fairly well while we were there, i wouldn't really consider it a win or a loss for either sides. i think the only reason people compare this war to both the vietnam war and the world wars is because those were the last two big wars, which could be used to reference to just about any war.

firekracker, I am sorry about your friends, but I am glad you understand what I was trying to say,

what was won in world war 2? many things actually. what was won in the american revolution? our country.

Edited by The1PatO

damn right. If all this effort and money that has been thrown away on Iraq had been concentrated on our own country life might get better for alot of us out here struggling to survive. I personally could care less about liberating other countries until we take care of our own first.

Ronbo the Vietnam war killed far too many before during and after. I wonder what the actual numbers of deaths are if you include all of those who couldn't deal with it when they came back or died from related illnesses. Vietnam was a useless war and we are looking at the exact same thing going on in Iraq.

War what is it good for? Absolutely nothing.. say it again ya'll ~Edwin Starr~

Actually before the US attacked Iraq the Army expressed concern that there might be guerrilla warfare. It appears that was an accurate prediction.

The Army's concern was that the presence of infidels in the holly land would give rise to whole new generations of anti-American terrorists. While many will come from Iraq the other Middle East countries will hatch their own terrorists. Actually when you think about our actions we have done more to breed terrorism than almost anything else we could have done.

Remember that Al Queda started with a goal of removing US presence from Saudi Arabia and a long term goal of eliminating modern and western influence upon their citizens. The terrorists were taught that we would take over and conquer their lands. Well guess what - that is what we did. Now maybe our intentions are good but although indoctrinated know is that this is a prophecy come true.

Surely the lessons of Israel must show us somethings. Like for each terrorist that dies in suicide there is another to take their place. That occupation of land or striking at the terrorist leaders only breeds more terrorists. That even if the majority are opposed to terrorism (which may or may not be true of Palestinians) the violent minority is relatively safe because they can hurt/kill those that are opposed to their methods with impunity (this is the way gangs or organized crime rules over its domain). That the "good guys" cannot win because there are no correct choices. To not strike back allows the violent people to strike again and to claim that they are safe. To attack the violent people or those harboring them inevitably causes collateral damage which is perceived as unjust creating more allies for the violent peoples.

Whether you agree with Clarkes position on the Bush administration or not you have to respect his knowledge of terrorists and his conclusions. That attacking Iraq only confirms the suspicions of the peoples of the Middle East and breeds more terrorists. The world saw Afghanistan as justified and the Middle Eastern countries tacitly approved Afghanistan but they all most all opposed the Iraq war.

thank you Ronbo....

vietnam, like iraq, wasn't really a "war" either and unlike the world wars, there is no country/countries that are the enemy. we failed miserably in vietnam and years later, failed the folks who were fighting there. unfortunately, i see a great many similarities.

i feel a horrible sense of impending doom. not that the world is going to come to an end, but i do think the united states has an obligation to be a sort of police type power, there just has to be a different way to do this.....

iraq has a lot more meaning than the vietnam war. you know that, and i know that. there were and still are terrorists in iraq, and we're working to eradicate them. if you think that iraq isn't a large front on the war on terror, you're very wrong.

I read somewhere that the Veterans Admimistration estimated that the original figure of 58,000 plus that died in SEA, would double when all the associated deaths were counted. so sad. :mrsgreen:

iraq has a lot more meaning than the vietnam war. you know that, and i know that. there were and still are terrorists in iraq, and we're working to eradicate them. if you think that iraq isn't a large front on the war on terror, you're very wrong.

how are terrorists to be 'eradicated? they don't blink when sending children into a crowded place with dynomite strapped to them....

how are terrorists to be 'eradicated?   they don't blink when sending children into a crowded place with dynomite strapped to them....

tell me the last time a child set off a bomb strapped to themself. Edited by The1PatO

I have to agree with Firekracker. How can you eliminate something/someone you cannot identify. How can you reduce the number of terrorists when attacking them or their lands generates more of them. It is like stepping on a fire ant hill. No matter how many you kill and how bad you try to crush them in their home more pour out and sting you.

If the war on terrorism is going so well why was there a train bombing in Spain? Why did the British just find tons of explosives and people planning to use them? Why is France being threatened with terrorism over its policy on disallowing "modest dress"? Why is the number of attacks in Iraq going down and the lethality of attacks going up? If a fire on a freeway can close down freeways for 90 days how hard is it to cause fuel truck wrecks or explosions to disrupt our highway system and kill people.

I have to agree with Firekracker. How can you eliminate something/someone you cannot identify. How can you reduce the number of terrorists when attacking them or their lands generates more of them.

Use American determination...according to 1PatO ;)

I agree with NascarFan19 in that this "war" parallels Vietnam in every way.

During that time, America was liberating the world from Communists at all costs.

During this time, America is liberating the world from terrorists at all costs.

Way too similar if you ask me, and history sure as hell will repeat itself.

Don't forget the USS Madox, compared to weapons of mass destruction.

I read somewhere that the Veterans Admimistration estimated that the original figure of 58,000 plus that died in SEA, would double when all the associated deaths were counted. so sad.

I accidentally typed 53,000 instead of 58,000 in a previous post and I stand corrected. Thank you NascarFan19

God bless each and every one of them.

Guest fragged one

it will stop, it's gonna stop, and we're gonna win, american determination ensures it.

coughvietnamcough

Not really Mr. Trex, only this war is being compared in its uselessness and similarity.

Edited by ChrisR

Guest fragged one

every time the u.s goes to war some one has to bring up vietnam :unsure:

we thought the same thing back then...

it will stop, it's gonna stop, and we're gonna win, american determination ensures it.

we were wrong. i think we should be cautious about such statements.