Sign in to follow this  
lorriehe

Optimum Online

Thanks again Triplea. Do you think the Belkin router is better?

Edited by lorriehe

Personally I would GO with the Netgear Router, But thats purely a personnel preference.

My neighbour brought my 2 boys an Easter Egg each as a "Thank You" and Is highly delighted with the performance of the Belkin one.

So I'm afraid "the Ball's in your Court"

Bye the way I don't even think the Netgear one Is available in the UK as yet

Best regards

I think I'll go for the NetGear router. Good one with rebate. Thanks again for your assistance. I don't know what I'd do without this forum. It's like getting a new education. Spring is finally upon us...what a long winter. Have a great weekend. :)

Spring is finally upon us...what a long winter.

Have a great weekend.

You Too !!!

:rolleyes:

I think you made the right decision on the Router

Edited by triplea

Hey, TripleA...where have you been? I finally got my one computer hooked up to cable. Next, I'll get my router and try networking the two. I'm so excited. :rocks:

Where have I been ?????

I've been here All the Time !!!!!!

Glad you've got cable installed, The next step's EASY :rolleyes:

Hey, TripleA. It's me again. :P Next week I'm going out to get the router and cable I need for my network, so I've been checking prices of stores we have here locally. I don't want to order online, because my son is impatient and doesn't want to wait for the mail. The Belkin router, and a DLink are the cheapest I've found. The Netgear is about $20 more. I found this one that is super cheap. Do you know anything about it? They even have a 2 port router! Router Or should I still spend the bucks and get the Netgear. :erm:

Edited by lorriehe

Hi lorriehe,

I've never heard of the Speedstream Router in your link, but the price is incredible !!!!

The 4 port one is the one you want just incase you need to add more Computers then you won't need another Hub

I'd go for the Netgear or Belkin one as I can't really comment on the Speedstream one.

Perhaps members in the USofA can advise ???

Thanks again. I'm going to take a look at the SpeedStream one. I am familiar with Siemens, and it sounds like some of you approve. Sure can't beat the price. Other Forum

Edited by lorriehe

Glad you got It sorted lorriehe ;););)

Told you It would be easy !!!

Best Regards,

triplea

I have one more question. This router that I got, a wired SpeedStream, says it has a firewall. I ran a test a friend told me about Leaktest and it says it penetrated the firewall. I don't know how reliable this test is. There wasn't much documentation with this router explaining how you might test the firewall. I'm relatively new to firewalls. How can I test it and really know it's working. :bang:

Shields Up tests didn't detect a problem with the firewall, but Leaktest still says it can penetrate the firewall. I don't get a warm fuzzy about this. Do you think I should be running Zone Alarm or Sygate just to be safe? I don't like it when these tests are inconsistent. :mrsgreen:

So you got the Siemens, right? That Siemens router has a basic hardware firewall - it's just based on NAT (Network Address Translation). Basically that is simply the way the router sends info to and from the machines on your network it's supposed to send them to or from. It's essentially supposed to keep a machine's connections invisible from outside the router. Now, sometimes if you want to run a web site or an ftp site from a machine on your network you have to do something called "port forwarding". This makes it so that when someone sends a request to connect to a web server or ftp server at your ip address it will take that request and route it to the proper machine running the server. This is where the bigger threats are in terms of having someone penetrate the NAT "firewall". However, of course, there are other methods, etc. You typical router with a stronger firewall will support something called SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) which is basically a firewall typology that takes a closer look at the packets for any that are oddly malformed or being used for a denial of service attack. Your stronger firewall routers will also have extra protection against methods to exploit teleconferencing services and others. These firewalls in the routers can cause headaches while surfing the internet and doing other online tasks. Even NAT will cause some headaches, like your friend who can't initiate file transfers or whatever. Often, router/fireall issues can usually be gotten around by using a feature in most recent routers called "DMZ" = Demilitarized Zone. Using this capability will make the computer on the DMZ bypass the firewall for sending and receiving info. Some people have to do this for running online games and other services with less headaches. Or, in a lot of routers also, you can tell it to open up a certain range of ports on your machine that will have free passthrough like DMZ, but requires that you know exactly what range of ports you need for the given program.

Considering that the Siemens doesn't have any kind of advanced firewall, if you want to be really secure, you could benefit from running a software firewall on your comp. It won't hurt anything, and if it gets in the way of things moreso than the router, you can always easily disable it. Also, you'll want to make sure you keep up with the Windows updates because more often than not, the methods people use to gain unauthorized access to a machine is through vulnerabilities that have been discovered and published (and quite often have updates out there that will prevent them from being an issue).

Thanks Stasi. Sounds a little confusing. I have Zone Alarm on my one machine and Sygate on the other. I think I'll keep them.

Hehe, yeah it can be confusing. I work in retail and have to find all kinds of ways to explain some of this stuff to people. Often times I just resort to drawing a picture, cos people can relate more easily to them. Anyway, happy networking and browsing!