Sign in to follow this  
lorriehe

Optimum Online

I know this will probably sound like a dumb question, but why does Optimum Online (cable) charge you an extra $45 to add a second computer. Are they trying to make everyone think that two computers can't be networked to access the internet? Just wondering.

its the same reason wy they charge more for additional rooms when you install cable tv .....they ask how many rooms need cable ...but ofcourse ill say one room ...here its 10$ more per room in a house..

So what you are saying is that if your dumb enough, you can pay to have extra computers hooked up, but if your smart you network them and don't say anything. The cable companies are hoping to have a bunch of dumb shmucks sign up for extra computer hookups.

actually what you are paying for is the ability to pull 2 public IP addresses. I agree that this is normally a dumb thing to sign up for instead of getting a router, but some people are dumb. If i can sell my $2 widget for $4, im gonna charge $4. Same principal.

Tell me this, the computer that I plan on hooking up to cable first is a Gateway which I couldn't see had an NIC. It has a USB and a USB Root hub, which is all the cable company said I would need. I still have to get an NIC to network the Gateway and the Compaq, correct? Do I need to do the same for my printers, or can I use them the way I do now, which is that each puter has it's own printer. Also, in addition, I guess I need a hub? Lastly, one has Windows 98 and the other XP Home, is this a problem? :help:

Edited by lorriehe

Yes you need a nic in both mahines.

Yes you can continue to use your printers just like before

and yes all you need is a hub, but then you have to monkey with things to get it to work.

The easiest way to set up a home network is with a router, that way you just plug everything in, reboot (including your cable modem), and surf.

If you have a Motorola Surfboard modem you MIGHT be able to hook up one PC to the USB and one to the network prot on the modem, but that only works when it feels like it.

go get a router, its easy.

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I'll keep all of this away from Franglais ;)

Actually I'm more confused than I was before. Would you believe I took an into. to networking course? It looked so easy in class. It looks like opton #2 in the article would work best for me with the limited knowledge that I have. It's disadvantage is one pc is exposed to public internet (can't this be cured with something like ZoneAlarm?) It said it would be difficult to configure (why?)

How do I know what kind of NIC to get?

What advantage would putting a router have?

More questions. Sorry. :help:

Hi lorriehe (Again)

1. Option 3. Is the way to go !!!

A router (with a 4 port hub) can give all PCs access to the Net without any other PCs being ON and have a hardware firewall as well. They don't take a lot of setting-up.

2. Any type of PCI. Network card 10/100 will do. I use Netgear FA 311s

Hope this helps

Best regards

Triplea, Thanks again.

Option 3. Is the way to go !!!

So, what you are saying is that I just need a NIC for my Gateway (The Compaq already has NIC) and a router (no hub). Correct?

I was just chatting with a friend on AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) and this is what he said. "hardware firewalls are a pain sometimes with Aim, etc. I HAVE TO initiate it for her to send stuff. she has a hardware firewall and that's what prevents it"

What do you think?

Edited by lorriehe

Any type of PCI. Network card 10/100 will do. I use Netgear FA 311s

I went out and bought one today. Even had a rebate on it. They also have the Netgear router with a rebate. Do you think that's a good one? Thanks.

So, what you are saying is that I just need a NIC for my Gateway (The Compaq already has NIC) and a router (no hub). Correct?

Thats right lorriehe !!!( most routers have a 4 port hub integrated )

You'll also need the reqired lengths of Cat 5e Cables

I went out and bought one today. Even had a rebate on it. They also have the Netgear router with a rebate. Do you think that's a good one? Thanks.

Yes it is, I've all Netgear network equipment both NICs and Cable Router and am very happy with them !!

Can't remember the model No. but I'm sure It's been superceeded by now as It's 18months old.

TripleA, thanks again. One question you didn't answer, and perhaps you don't have the answer to is this:

I was just chatting with a friend on AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) and this is what he said. "hardware firewalls are a pain sometimes with Aim, etc. I HAVE TO initiate it for her to send stuff. she has a hardware firewall and that's what prevents it"

What do you think?

Hi again lorriehe,

I'm afraid I've no answer for you Re: AIM

Neither my boys or I use Messenger Services I'm afraid.

I know some don't work behind a hardware firewall, but I can't tell you which they are. I'll ask a friend !!!!

Sorry !!! :mrsgreen:

It is !!!!

But I don't know the Protocols Involved

Your friend can probably tell you more than I can

Or perhaps someone on the Forums can help you !!!

Thanks. I worry about stuff before it happens. I guess I should just worry about getting the first puter hooked up to cable, then attack the networking stuff later. :bang:

Thats the best way lorriehe !!!

My cable company will have nothing to do with Routers, LAN or NAT, and if you need any Tech. Support often use this as " A get-out"

But thats how this Topic started :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Isn't it

LOL ;) LOL ;)

You got that right!! I did some research on the Netgear Router, but I don't understand alot of what I read as far as the negatives go. Perhaps you know more than I do and can shead some light on what they are saying. I'm obsessing again, aren't I?

PriceGrabber :angry::P;)

No!!! NO !!!! NO!!!!

But you've sickened me with the US PRICES

Talk about RIP-OFF Britain :mrsgreen:

Nathan (My eldest Boy) and I set up a Belkin Router for a neighbour last weekend, but which model i can't remember ??? We had it up and running in under an hour

Take a look for It over your side of the pond, and I'll get back to you later

Best regards

Hi again lorriehe,

Heres the Info on the Belkin Router we disscussed earlier :

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...sp?sku=B20-5094

But I still think you can't go wrong with Netgear equipment !!!

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-7052-...52-418-20001962

Edited by triplea