Sign in to follow this  
Mechm24

Trying To Connect To Server

I have a 56k modem, I have AOL for an ISP, blech. But my father's company has a server with DSL, anyone know if there's a way to connect my computer to that server and maybe I'll stop getting kicked every five minutes, and actually connect at 56k.??

If you have Dial Up at home and your father has DSL at work then No you cannot tap into that network and go at the speed of DSL. You have to actually have it installed at your house.

Well, would I still be able to connect through the internet through the server? I have a 56k modem, and my problem with AOL is I always get kicked, so I'm wondering if I can stay connected through the server at his work.

The answer would be NO...because you would still have to connect to the remote location with your dial up modem.

There are ways to adjust the modem settings so that the modem stays online...however since you have AOL you will most likely have to call them and find out how.

If your father's company has a server, they could connect a modem to it and run some dial-in software. Windows 2000 has a dial-in ability, for example. The software would listen on the modem port and you would dial that number. Then it would validate your logon (they could set it for NO logon but that would be reallly reallly bad) and then you would be just as if you were on their local network. Including access to their network through the DSL line. Including access to all the computers in their company.

Most companies would be crazy to set something up like that. It's a great opportunity for hackers. And it's not going to be any faster than AOL in most cases, because the slow link is your analog modem.