Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signman

Do We Have Any Gm Dealership Mechanics

Hi Joe, I have a small problem with my car that popped up after I had it in for a simple plug change. Now it acts like it won't take gas as you first put your foot on the pedal or as you are letting off the gas. Acts like the old cars that has a faulty vacuum advance. According to the invoice they replaced the plugs an "reset to factory specs" What did they reset? Whatever they reset has cause the problem and they refuse to do anything else to it because it is "within specs". I know this because I turned around and replaced the plugs again (not an easy task because the whole top of the engine has to be removed) just to make sure they did it right. I've checked for bad or removed vacuum lines, I've replaced all 6 coils, plug wires, TPS switch, air filter, any disconnected electrical connections, and everything I can think of. This car was running great when I took it in...(I know, why did I take it in and it running great) I was always told 5 years or 60,000 miles whichever comes first. I only had 42,000 on it but I was going on vacation so I thought I would have it done before I left. Boy was that a mistake!

The car is a 1996 Monte Carlo Z34......3.8 liter V6

I would demand a refund or fix. They didnt mess with the timing did they? Did you get gas after the fix? Would be surprised at how many times ive filled up with water and not gas. :mrgreen:

do you have a friend with a tool that can read the senors on the car? one of them could be failing it could be the mass air flow sensor or the map sensor. you should check the vacume lines make sure there isnt any cracks in them. you check the bolts on the throttle body just covering the basics incase there is a vacume leak somewhere. :)

Yea, I've checked everything I could think of. This happened last September so it's not my gas. I took it back to the dealer as soon as I realized something wasn't right. They rechecked it (so they say) and nothing was found to be "wrong" with the car. Their favorite response on the invoice is......."could not demonstrate customer's concern". Believe me, I've seen those words many times during my ownership of this car. I guess that is part of the reason they quit using that engine in the Monte Carlo Z34.

Randy, I don't know if they messed with the timing or not, but I have since put a timing belt in it so it can't be that. There is no setting for the timing........It's all handled through the computer.

Mohawk, I don't have any friends that has a tool like that. As a mater of fact......I don't have any friends! :mrgreen:

Just kidding! Yea, I've got water before too. This thing has me stumped. I've played mechanic since I was a teen and up until recently I have gotten out of it. Too many tools to have to buy.

Take it to a different GM dealer and see if you get the same response. Sometimes service departments like to show how much better they are than another dealership. Tell them the first dealership said it was perfect and no one could find anything wrong. That challenge usually perks up any good honest mechanic.

I recently brought my Nissan truck in for scheduled service, one part of which was tire rotation. My truck was in the first bay by the door, and I stood there and watched the entire operation. They put it up on the lift, changed the oil, and brought it back down. Never touched a tire. When I informed the service manager of this, he didnt believe me and tried to blow me off. That is until I got real insistent in front of some other customers, then he personally checked, saw that not one lug nut had been touched. Needless to say, many apologies came my way. You gotta raise hell with those people most of the time.

i say do it yourself when you can. :) but in honesty i still think its a sensor issue, but then again maybe one of the machinics changed something or adjusted something that they shouldnt had touched. :(

I am probably way off base here, but..........

Does your vehicle have a "cadilac(spelling) converter"?........I know my mom had alot of problems with "power" "gas" etc. untill she had it cut off.

No Mercy, exhaust is ok too, new oxygen sensor. It's illegial to run without a catalytic converter here if the car came with one on it. We have a statewide annual inspection on vehicles and they go over them with a fine toothed comb. I think I will do as Hulk suggests and take it to a different dealer. Maybe they will get it right. I have learned a lot since I bought this car. Enough to know........do everything I can do to it myself. Do not take it to the dealer for anything I can do.

if you can get one of those handheld computers that you hook up to the to the cars computer. it will tell you what is wrong if its a sensor or timing off etc.. there good little tools to have, you can get them at napa.

I'll ask my brother in law, he's a mechanic, I have a GM 3.4 V6 and any time it gets wet out side the engine hesitates and runs rough, like it needs a new distributercap I'll call him tonight when he gets home. Mine's got 60k miles on it too

Hey Signman, i was a mechanic for a Chevy dealer for 6 years, and well, they don't like to admit that they did somthing wrong! and it seems like that's the issue. I agree that you should take it to another dealer!

the work that your dealer did should be covered under warranty, so i would bug them untill the get it right!

good luck!

Adam

Search out on the net the GM Dealer Representive or Customer service rep for your area or find an 800 number and talk with someone. I did this with Ford and I got results quickly! I have the top Mr Goodwrench in my church but I don't know if he fixes them over the net!

was the car running rough before the tune up? Is the gas pedal a little sticky or doesnt like to respond well? First off with the 3.8 i would check each end of the plug wires, for corosion, look inside them when you remove it off the plug and coil. If you replaced the timing CHAIN on a 3.8 you wasted your money, i have never seen 1 go out without 150,000 miles at least on a 3.8. you might need to clean the throttle body and replace fuel filter, i always recomend using chevron with techron fuel system additive, ive done maricles with it. post back and let me know how it goes. ALLEN

If you replaced the timing CHAIN on a 3.8 you wasted your money

I'll be the 1st to disagree with that. I dont know how many new cars that use chains still, being a Chevy and V6, id say it does and yeah chains usually last longer than belts, but your not supposed to drive a car till it falls apart on you before you worry about tune ups and part failures. Thats the whole reason to get things replaced and tunes up done is so they dont fail on you. If it was a belt you were letting go that long, and it broke you may be replacing a entire head or pistons if the valves came in contact after the break. So would you rather spend $1000 on parts and labor or keep a $20 belt or chain in check every 60,000 miles?

like i said i see noone here knows a 3.8 liter motor so again if you replaced the timing CHAIN!!!! at 60,000 you wasted your money. Ya if it was timing belt i would agree. 3.8 dont have belts. and if for 1 minit you think the dealership is giving you a good deal by changing your timing chain at 60,000 i got some lake side property to sell ya in airizona. ALLEN

signman

would be nice with a little more info

make model and what engine

i can second guess but till i know more it`s kinda of hard

but ,there`s no adjustment on the engine

if your running DSI

out side of them putting in the wrong plugs

not much to go on is the check engine light on ??

but from what your saying it`s running like it

could be a bad cranksensor that times the engine

and the computer does the rest .also it could be the an unpluged sensor

for the air temp .

but without know for sure what the car is and engine

till then i can`t tell you much more.

Tw2, I have a 1996 Monte Carlo Z34 with a 3.4 liter dual OHC 225hp. This engine has a timing belt, not a chain. It doesn't have a distributor cap, it has electronically fired coils for each cylinder. I had to replace the timing belt a while back because of a faulty pulley behind the enclosure. It ran on the edge and shreadded the belt almost to the point of breaking. Now this car has always ran very strong and smooth up until I had the plugs replaced. Now, it's like it don't want to take gas as you first press the gas pedal, or as you are letting off the gas pedal. All the gaskets for the plenium has been replaced each time the thing has been removed. ( you have to remove it to replace the 3 rear spark plugs, wires, and oxygen sensor.) It has brand new plug wires that I replaced myself along with another set of platinum plugs. I also replaced all six coils at $47.00 each, put a new TPS switch, oxygen sensor, checked all the various hoses for cracks, made sure all the electrical sensors were connected, replaced the air filter. Unless we all are missing something, there must be something going bad in the electronics somewhere. Someone suggested a fuel filter. I don't know if mine is in the tank or in line. I have always taken it in for maintenance, except for the oil changes. I think I will take it to a different dealership this time and see what they can find. I know I will end up paying through the nose for this but I'm afraid the smaller independent shops may not have the tools or the know how to work on it.

Hi Joe, I have a small problem with my car that popped up after I had it in for a simple plug change.  Now it acts like it won't take gas as you first put your foot on the pedal or as you are letting off the gas.  Acts like the old cars that has a faulty vacuum advance.  According to the invoice they replaced the plugs an "reset to factory specs"  What did they reset?  Whatever they reset has cause the problem and they refuse to do anything else to it because it is "within specs".  I know this because I turned around and replaced the plugs again (not an easy task because the whole top of the engine has to be removed) just to make sure they did it right.  I've checked for bad or removed vacuum lines, I've replaced all 6 coils, plug wires, TPS switch, air filter, any disconnected electrical connections,  and everything I can think of.  This car was running great when I took it in...(I know, why did I take it in and it running great)  I was always told 5 years or 60,000 miles whichever comes first.  I only had 42,000 on it but I was going on vacation so I thought I would have it done before I left.  Boy was that a mistake!

The car is a 1996 Monte Carlo Z34......3.8 liter V6

make up our minds 3.4 or 3.8

get someone to check fuel pressure a 3.4 should be from 32-40 psi, if thats ok unplug the vaccum off the fuel pressure regulator and make sure the fuel pressure jumps up around 45psi. The regulator is on top the plentum about the size of a silver dollar and silver with a vaccum hose on top.

1 minit you think the dealership is giving you a good deal by changing your timing chain at 60,000 i got some lake side property to sell ya in airizona. ALLEN

Hey i think i fished that lake once. :mrgreen:

And i dont take mine to dealers, i do the work myself and it doesnt cost me a damn thing but price of parts, bloody knuckles, and a weekend. And yeah i dont know that much about V6's, especially Chevys, there a weak oil burner. :mrgreen:

lol i agree, but if it wasnt for fords i wouldnt have a job, we do half our business replacing front end parts on fords, i work at a goodyear store and if i see a ford for a tire repair ill take a chevy out im working on just to bring that piece of junk in and see how bad the front end is.