Sign in to follow this  
**CaMeO**

Saving Photos To Disc

I need to burn a whole bunch of photos to a cd disc before I start messing around with my old computer and I tried to save a couple as a test. When I went to view the saved files my computer said it had no viewer for them so I tried opening in several different ways. Nada! All that comes up is characters. I'm using Nero with my burner and the Nero tech told me to burn the photos as "data". No go there, either ------ there is no viewer to view them. It burns music with no problem though.

The computer is a 5 year old IBM, running Win98, and in need of help and I don't want to lose these pictures if the "help" consists of uninstalling/reinstalling Win98.

Any suggestions? I would REALLY appreciate it!!

So you burned some pictures to a CD, then couldn't open them? Try opening the files with an image program like paint and see what happens...

Also, what format are the images? JPG? GIF?

The only thing I can see is burning in the wrong format...what version of Nero do you have? You might try putting all the files in a zip folder before you burn them.

If you have a DVD player that will play those files.....then go ahead and burn your pic CD. I have one that plays them and it's a pretty cool little 'slide show' on my TV :mrgreen:

Try burning your pictures, or just a few, then have a friend or someone see if they open on their computer...we can find out where the problem might be then.

Cameo

Have you tried opening them with Imaging?

Been playing with my 98se machine, and it opens all types of

photos I have burned on to cd with winXP, all the ones I have

on 98 that are filed under paint and photosuite.

Should be right above paint under accessories.

Luck to ya!

:woot:

RAH ---- Yes, have tried that and no, it didn't work. :mrsgreen:

merlin_ ---- There is no iso in MY Nero (sheeeeeesh)

bacterozoid ----- will try that as I burned 20 images this evening. and they were burned as VCD files (?) ------ won't work on my 'puter.

dickster --- downloaded the irfanview.exe to try to view that disc. :mrsgreen:

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

I need a :beer: and I don't even drink!!! :pullhair:

The reason for all this: will be looking for a new computer soon (VERY soon) and I just don't want to lose these pics if I can help it. BTW - any suggestions for a good all-around 'puter in the mid-price range? Not Dell ----- heard their customer support has hit rock bottom of late (darned shame)!

Dell desktops are actually pretty dependable for store-bought computers, although I've never dealt with their tech support (probably won't either). Usually, if have problems I come here... :) -kd5-

merlin_ ---- There is no iso in MY Nero (sheeeeeesh)

When you start nero it will ask you what you want to do! It will say burn a data disc.aka ISO... If you just want to back them up for now its your best bet! Give it a try! Dont try making a vcd out of them!

Yeah, I'd think the vcd format is the issue. Burn as data if you can.

If you have Win XP you can use it's own burning 'program.' It burns straight from HD to CD.

Nero's version is 5.5 and offers a tab for burning Video's and Pictures ..... but in the sub-tab it will only burn VCD or SVCD files.

I have Nero 5.5 and see no such option :blink:

I have Nero 5.5 and see no such option  :blink:

:)

I have Nero 5.5, and Win98SE!

You could try this!!!

Click on start, Programs, then Nero, you will get a Selection Menu, click on

Nero-Burning ROM, if you have the Wizard enabled, it will give you step by step, select new CD Data!! If the Wizard is not enabled, you will see on the Left, first option at the top ISO!! Click on that and away you go!!!

That enables you to save your Pictures on CDROM!!

The next part is, to make what you want, right now! I doubt if you have the software to do it, hence you are wasting time!!!

By following the above you have them saved exactly as they are on your HDD

and maybe when you upgrade, you can invest in Software to enable the finished article to do what you want!!

JMHO! It is a bit like trying to play a DVD on your current set up, it will play, in a way, but boy! won't you have problems from it!!

BTW, most of the really top advice on the Pit comes from people that have actually experienced problems similar to the one that the Advice is given!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::rolleyes::lol:

Edited by Drovers Dog

Ummm Drovers Dog I'm not the one with the problem. And I was refering to me not seeing a tab for burning Video's and Pictures ..... but in the sub-tab it will only burn VCD or SVCD files.

I know of the regular burn ISO feature and have no problem using it. I have never seen burn Video's and Pictures with a sub tab of VCD's and SVCD files. I don't have this wizard enabled is this a feature of it?

EDIT:

Ahhh I see what he's talking about. He's using Nero Express. Don't select Videos/Pictures use Data then Data Disk.

Edited by C45P3R

Ummm Drovers Dog I'm not the one with the problem. And I was refering to me not seeing a tab for burning Video's and Pictures ..... but in the sub-tab it will only burn VCD or SVCD files.

I know of the regular burn ISO feature and have no problem using it. I have never seen burn Video's and Pictures with a sub tab of VCD's and SVCD files. I don't have this wizard enabled is this a feature of it?

:)

Whilst you can sellect ALL Options that are shown, the end result remains consistant to the actual Software installed, not just by Nero, (It is giving you Just an Option}, provided that the neccessary Software is fitted to the Computor, that is why I referred to playing a DVD on that Computor!!

Your best Option is to burn the Data, Pictures, exactly as they are on the HDD, and play with it later when you have the NEEDED Software available!!

BTW the Option is available under 5.5, just enable the Wizard, but unless you have the Software to back up the Option, you will get Problems!! Bit like trying to enable ALL the Options of XP on the wrong Computor!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::rolleyes::lol:

Edited by Drovers Dog

Guest grabe1

I need to burn a whole bunch of photos to a cd disc before I start messing around with my old computer and I tried to save a couple as a test. When I went to view the saved files my computer said it had no viewer for them so I tried opening in several different ways. Nada! All that comes up is characters. I'm using Nero with my burner and the Nero tech told me to burn the photos as "data". No go there, either ------ there is no viewer to view them. It burns music with no problem though.

The computer is a 5 year old IBM, running Win98, and in need of help and I don't want to lose these pictures if the "help" consists of uninstalling/reinstalling Win98.

Any suggestions? I would REALLY appreciate it!!

Make sure your Nero software has been updated. I ran into a problem and went to the site and downloaded an update. Also, I had to use a rewriteable disk.(CD-RW) Maybe this will help.