Sign in to follow this  
AdamMAXIS

Would Anyone Happen To Be A Lawyer?

You are alowed under law to make a parody of something or someone

Now im not a lawyer, but one thing comes to mind.... Larry Flynt.

His whole case was based on a parody of Jerry Falwell having sex with his mother in an outhouse. Some liquor company ad published in Hustler, and the theme was "Your first time..." at any rate, he won, it is not illegal for you to make a parody of someone, as long as it is not slanderous, has to be outrageous enough that most people wont believe it.

or something close.

Angela

Your right Angela it isn't illegal to make a cartoon or a joke about somebody.

But when a person creates a web site, claiming to be someone else, without anything to denote that it is fake, and they write things on a personal level claiming to be that person, they are in fact breaking a few laws and opening themselves up to a lawsuit, and possible criminal charges.

If I were right now to create a web site, claiming that I was DaveMethvin , or Rob Cheng (the admin and owner of this site) and wrote things that defamed them among their peers, and or coleages, I would or could be in a world of hurt if they decided to pursue the issue.

There is a huge difference between an obvious parody, and a site claiming to be someone or something it isn't and then making liable statements on that site in an effort to harm that person in a maliscios way.

Edited by Bruce

Your right Angela it isn't illegal to make a cartoon or a joke about somebody.

But when a person creates a web site, claiming to be someone else, without anything to denote that it is fake, and they write things on a personal level claiming to be that person, they are in fact breaking a few laws and opening themselves up to a lawsuit, and possible criminal charges.

If I were right now to create a web site, claiming that I was DaveMethvin , or Rob Cheng (the admin and owner of this site) and wrote things that defamed them among their peers, and or coleages, I would or could be in a world of hurt if they decided to pursue the issue.

There is a huge difference between an obvious parody, and a site claiming to be someone or something it isn't and then making liable statements on that site.

Yeah, that is horrible! Who would do that?

as much as it pains me Bruce, your right. :) I did not look at the website Adam made, and I should have, as always I spoke out of turn. My mistake.

Angela

as much as it pains me Bruce, your right. :) I did not look at the website Adam made, and I should have, as always I spoke out of turn. My mistake.

Angela

Did any of you actually see the site?! I never stated I was her, I had a disclaimer and I never said anything coarse or mean.. That actually could've been aired on network television! My god Bruce, you really blew up something that was nothing. :blink:

I didn't say anything personal about her either...

Edited by AdamMAXIS

Why are you so concerned about this Adam?

The rest of the school community will form their opinions regardless of any action you may take. Kids are pretty smart at sussing out the truth and if your friend has done nothing wrong they will pretty soon realise that.

They may however take a different view over your actions. :(

Do unto others as you would have them do to you is what I say.

She probably isn't a very nice person Adam, but, why stoop to her level by doing something which is probably equally if not more mean...  :huh:

guess walking away and not associating with her is not an option?

It always offends me when someone tries to hurt a young girl.

I happen to think anyone young man who would go out of his way to hurt a young girl is deserving of a slap upside the head.

You'll grow up some day. Hopefully. :mrsgreen:

I agree with both of you Bruce and Kylie. Just reading through this post, it is so childish :mrsgreen:

Whatever you do probably won't change her anyway, so walk away. It had nothing to do with YOU. Yes, a friend but not you per se.

Why make matters worse? Just let it go. How does it make you feel better? That would be my question to you. :blank:

Edited by lindalou

My school is very large, over 1000 students. Maybe 4 or 5 people know of this site... I think that girl has.. maybe 1 or 2 friends, and most of the people at the school think she is stuck up.

I think that girl has.. maybe 1 or 2 friends, and most of the people at the school think she is stuck up.

Then you should feel sorry for her not ridicule her. Maybe, stuck up isn't the right word.

My school is very large, over 1000 students. Maybe 4 or 5 people know of this site... I think that girl has.. maybe 1 or 2 friends, and most of the people at the school think she is stuck up.

A bit off topic but that aint large, my school's got 3000 students! :mrgreen:

Back on subject, I think everyone is missing the original point of Adam's thread. Whether his website was wrong to do or not, I won't say, but he was only asking if the school was allowed to punish him for it- not whether everyone here approved of his actions.

Everyone gets angry far too easily around here, I say we all just follow Kylie's advice and calm down. Here everyone have a :oreo: .

Who's angry? :) Guess, I can see the mistakes he is making from when I was younger and hate to see a very smart guy make wrong choices. BUt, we all have to I guess. As you grow older you sometimes look back and think "man that was so stupid that I did that".

Can the school tell him to stop? Probably not. As a smart, compassionate, human being should he? Probably. Will he? Shrugs, who knows, it's up to him to decide if 20+ years he looks back and says "man that was so stupid that I did that".

Not angry tho. :)

Guest Amm121103

I didn't threaten anyone.

I stated what we did with such punks when I was a kid.

Unless adam was alive and in my neighorhood 25 years ago then he is safe picking on the little girls.

in Adam's defense, i'd just like to say that this "little girl" is a rude, self-absorbed, manipulating person and anything said on the xanga was well deserved under the circumstances of the situation. so, Bruce, i don't think you should be so quick to judge Adam about "picking on the little girls" because he is one of the kindest and most tolerant people i know. he doesn't do anything without a good reason, and this was in defense of his friends and his brother. maybe it's hard to understand his point of view because he's a teenage boy and you're not... but give him the benefit of the doubt. i don't believe he did anything wrong.

If I stopped now, it would show her that she won... and that would basically make her ego bigger... :blink:

And, that's what's important, that she doesn't win, right? You will do what ever your heart/head tells you to do. :)

Oh come on, won what??

Let her ego get bigger, let her think what she wants. If nobody likes her, nobody's gonna give a damn anyway. I say just let it go, before you get yourself in trouble. :blank:

Edited by ChrisR

Never pretended to be someone else, just to hurt that person.

Especially a girl.

Personally we used to kick the snot out of inconsiderate little jerks who liked to hurt girls when I was a kid.

Hell yah. Ahh the good ol' days (6+ years ago :) ).

I'm tired of reading through this thread. I made it to this part that Bruce commented and loved it. He's right though... you treat girls different than guys. You treat them like gold no matter how much you dispise them. We used to pick on girls and make fun of them as kids (while we were preteenagers) but that wasn't overly mean and was done by everyone as it's expected out of kids.

What you did was go a little too far. It's like some kid (girl or boy) walking by you in public and you make fun of them in some way. Compared to what you're doing in the same terms, it's similar to that same kid walking by you in the same situation, same area, and then you scream it at the top of your lungs and then go posting it all over the world so that everyone knows about what you just said.

To me, being humiliated is one thing. There is a bit more to humiliation though once you go public against someone that really didn't do anything wrong worthy of such actions that you've taken.

Now... if you were the press then you could get away with it. However, you have to do something pretty stupid to be worth putting on the news to show everyone and point fingers and use names. Generally the only time the name is given out is when they break the law.

I'd suggest removing the site if I were you and just letting it go. It's so extremely immature as well as a complete waste of time overall. Don't you have better things to do?

Oh come on, won what??

Let her ego get bigger, let her think what she wants. If nobody likes her, nobody's gonna give a damn anyway. I say just let it go, before you get yourself in trouble. :blank:

Well, she would think she is smarter and would then make more moves towards my friend Alan... And if she does this, it kinda ruins a giant chain of friends.. so yeah.. I'm going to stick with not giving up. ;)

so, Bruce, i don't think you should be so quick to judge Adam about "picking on the little girls" because he is one of the kindest and most tolerant people i know.

You know him how? You have ONE post here. You either know him at school or something and you're now siding with him or of the same age group level and maturity or it's Adam using a different screen name. You don't know Bruce that well at all either since you've just joined here.

I'd butt out if I were you. Sorry if this offends you but your post really doesn't fit in.

again if its the truth he has nothing to worry about...

This is terrible advice...if i were representing this young gentleman...and i use the term gentleman in an attempt to sway the jury :P ....my first advice to him would be to delete every post he has made in this thread and pray that the plaintiffs council has'nt already seen them.

Stating in a public forum (such as this), what you did and why you did it would seem to make any plaintiffs case against you cut and dried.

This of course is all retorical as i'm sure your not being sued.....yet!

But if you were...........

Remember what you put on your site MAY not be libelous....but the intent behind it is the legal issue here.

Personally I get the feeling that you really like this girl...but there must be a better way to get her attention :P

"Many receive advice, only the wise profit from it."

Harper Lee (1926- ); US novelist.

;)

I think everyone is missing the original point of Adam's thread. Whether his website was wrong to do or not, I won't say, but he was only asking if the school was allowed to punish him for it- not whether everyone here approved of his actions.

Never pretended to be someone else, just to hurt that person.

Especially a girl.

Personally we used to kick the snot out of inconsiderate little jerks who liked to hurt girls when I was a kid.

Hell yah. Ahh the good ol' days (6+ years ago :) ).

I'm tired of reading through this thread. I made it to this part that Bruce commented and loved it. He's right though... you treat girls different than guys. You treat them like gold no matter how much you dispise them. We used to pick on girls and make fun of them as kids (while we were preteenagers) but that wasn't overly mean and was done by everyone as it's expected out of kids.

What you did was go a little too far. It's like some kid (girl or boy) walking by you in public and you make fun of them in some way. Compared to what you're doing in the same terms, it's similar to that same kid walking by you in the same situation, same area, and then you scream it at the top of your lungs and then go posting it all over the world so that everyone knows about what you just said.

To me, being humiliated is one thing. There is a bit more to humiliation though once you go public against someone that really didn't do anything wrong worthy of such actions that you've taken.

Now... if you were the press then you could get away with it. However, you have to do something pretty stupid to be worth putting on the news to show everyone and point fingers and use names. Generally the only time the name is given out is when they break the law.

I'd suggest removing the site if I were you and just letting it go. It's so extremely immature as well as a complete waste of time overall. Don't you have better things to do?

Just to be clear.. this is no "little" girl.. this girl is huge!! She could beat me up!! I mean.. dang!

That is besides the point... She has done horrible things to my friends and family.. a little site to make fun of her isn't so bad.. jeez, it wasn't like cursing and threats and other things..

Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret.

Robert E Lee

Heplful quotes are always good :mrgreen: